The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paypal Auto Return - Seems to SUCK? Alternatives?

JT388

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Nov 30, 2015
Hi All,

I've just updated my websites payment processor, instead of using Shopifys basic Buy Now button, which came with the ease of use confirmation page that I placed my Facebook Pixel on. Now we have moved to Paypals Payments Pro, which includes PP Payment and CC Gateway payments.

Problem is when the buyer clicks order now on our site, they are taken to Paypals website where they enter to make their payment, all is good, until it comes to the final screen on Paypal that looks like this http://support.timingsolutions.com.au/hc/en-us/article_attachments/201306804/Redirect_page.png

So on this screen the buyers are suppose to come back to our sites confirmation page that we use to track the order, the problem is, Paypals lousy design has caused some people to exit out of this screen in the image above, because the redirect is too slow, and the page itself looks like a confirmation page so only some buyers make it to the real final page. This checkout seems to be super old.

However on Shopify it's different, it uses a pop up screen that opens to make a payment and closes when payment is complete, which sends them to the confirmation page by force, so all of their orders do get tracked.

How do we make this work? Surely there is a workaround without having to use Shopify again.

Our checkout process must be like this:

1) We set the order on our Database and get back a client code.
2) We send the customer to paypal with the client code.
3) When the customer pays, we get back the payment information along with the client code (it's a custom or invoice field on PayPal)
for step 3, paypal actually contacts our server (We use IPN: instant payment notifications)
4) When we get the info from paypal, we update the order and deliver the product

Our site is custom made (so no wordpress, joomla, etc.)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Tiger TT

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Dec 25, 2015
If your site was wordpress, then it would be easy. You would use WooCommerce. Since your site is custom made I guess you will probably need custom coding for that. Have you tried talking with paypal about this issue?

miked_d

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
103%
Dec 25, 2008
Los Angeles
The PayPal API'a and developer solutions drive me (and my developer) crazy. Buggy, not documented correctly, etc.

Is there a Shopify App that intergates paypal better?

https://apps.shopify.com/

3things

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
172%
Jun 17, 2013
Canadia
PayPal auto return has never been reliable, I and tbh I don't think there is really a solution, I was having that problem on a couple of ecommerce stores about 10 years ago (didn't actually matter to me as it was physical products, and I wasn't paying for traffic). The buyer gets to the paypal confirm page, and instead of the redirect happening after a few seconds delay, they'll get a link like 'click here to return to merchant' which of course, no one ever sees/actually clicks.

Also note, that afaik from trying to solve this a few years ago, the redirect won't happen anyway if for example, the buyer does not log into paypal - so if i go to check out, hit paypal > pay by card > pay (without logging into pp)...auto return won't work.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.