The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

REAL ESTATE Paying Rent with Credit Cards

JScott

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
Aug 24, 2007
I've never seen a landlord allow rent payments to be made with a credit card, but I could imagine some advantages:

- More likely to get paid by those who don't manage money well;
- Can automate the process to ensure you get paid on the 1st;
- Can charge a premium to cover the CC processing fee and also make a profit.

I imagine the big downside is handling disputes with the CC companies should the tenant choose to dispute the charge for some reason.

Are there any other reasons why accepting credit cards as a landlord would be a bad idea?

Are there any landlords who allow credit card payments?

Thanks for any info...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Jito

New Contributor
Dec 2, 2007
Bay Area
I know of one land lord in New Orleans that does this. Personally, I would love the option to pay my rent with Amex and keep racking up points...

RDave

PARKED
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Jan 8, 2008
i have had friends that have used this to collect with credit card and like it alot for the items you mentioned above not much to worry about ect...
site below, its great if you have a 100 units no worries to collect but if you have less than 30 it's a tuff sell to pay b/c it's 14 to sign up an 2 dollars per unit.
so good money maker for the guy that just collects don't have to worry about tenents.
anyway here is the site.
http://www.clearnow.com/

yveskleinsky

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Jul 26, 2007
I love the idea of charging rent on credit cards. If I were to get back into SFH, I would do this in a heartbeat. You increase you odds of getting paid to nearly 100%.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
Could be a good strategy for dealing with high risk renters... Or a good fail-safe if someone misses their rent, you could require them to keep a valid CC on file with you.

Cheers,

- Hakrjak

randallg99

Bronze Contributor
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
depending on the state you live in, you may be able to incorporate in the lease so that you can pass the credit card fees/charges onto the tenant.

KyJoe

New Contributor
Aug 28, 2007
The charge backs are my fear with it.

Adam

New Contributor
Aug 12, 2007
Minneapolis
KyJoe is right.

If there is a dispute, you are now putting yourself at risk of the CC company deciding whether or not you get to keep your rent. I hated dealing with charge backs when I owned a retail front.

Also, you can discount for cash, but can't upcharge for credit. It is against the vendor agreement for you to charge additional fees if someone uses credit cards.

hakrjak

Bronze Contributor
Sep 15, 2007
Colorado Springs
As long as you get their authorization to charge in writing as part of the lease perhaps, I don't think you'd have a problem with defending against chargebacks.

- Hakrjak:eusa_clap:

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
I bought 4 of his courses about freelancing / copywriting. I'm halfway through the first. The...

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom