The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

PATENTS! How to get around?

TreyAllDay

Whatever it takes
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
311%
Feb 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Hey fastlane Fam! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, it has been an eventful couple months!

I was hoping someone has some experience in this sector and can lend insight. I have a client on our digital signage program, they want to run a campaign where customers download their app to interact with the signage and play games, quizzes, etc where the signage screen is the scoreboard and the phone is where they play the game.

There is a company named TimePlay (i'm sure some of you know them) when you're waiting for a movie to start, the screen will show trivia and you can download the cineplex app to play along, as well as be shown on the movie screen scoreboard. They have a patent on this tech.

My question is: Can I just call them and ask if I'm infringing on their patent, with my client's idea?

If it helps: their patent for my country is here: Patent 2368838 Summary - Canadian Patents Database

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Supercar

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Mar 14, 2012
Michigan, Arizona
I dabbled in patenting a couple of my inventions. Paid LegalZoom to do patent searches for me. Maybe I could have done it myself for cheaper, but did not want to bother. Anyway... they sent me two long 20+ page reports with similar inventions, many of which looked or were described ALMOST EXACTLY like mine. That stopped me in my tracks. I made two conclusions:

1) Many people and even companies patent things, but never bother to implement them, hoping someone comes along and pays for their patent and makes them rich.

2) More importantly, many patent filers submit and get their patents approved on nearly the same item that has already been patented. I didn't believe I could patent what I had after seeing those 20+ page reports with very similar inventions. But how the heck did the last few guys got their patents approved?!! I have no idea. But next time I have a patentable idea that promises nice profits I will be more aggressive with trying to patent it.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
My question is: Can I just call them and ask if I'm infringing on their patent, with my client's idea?

If you'll start convo in this way, they'll tell you yes.
You can call them and ask for a licence.

But how the heck did the last few guys got their patents approved?!! I have no idea.

The reason for this is that patents can be invalidated by court. That's common practice - instead of proving that you didn't infringed the patent you prove that patent shouldn't be granted in a first place.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.