The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paradigm Shift

Anything related to matters of the mind

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
The last few months has been something of a whirlwind for my general view of the world and I thought I'd share it.

Three months ago I felt successful. At 24 I had nearly achieved every milestone that, when I was young, I envisioned to be the markers of success. Since I was 21, I have had a great relationship with my beautiful wife, a nice house, and a solid career.

Then I started to get restless. I fought hard for all those things, my wife and I moved out at 18 without a dime of support from anyone but ourselves, barely scraping by to get through school and land good careers. Despite not finishing my degree, I landed a well-paying job with a degree requirement that was waived because I had worked my way up through the company and proven myself. So now I find myself at a relatively young age feeling like I've done everything I set out to do. For a while this was OK, and I convinced myself that I was comfortable with the idea of 30 years of a cushy job followed by retirement.

But a few months ago, the shine started to wear off. After years of constantly trying to climb higher and do better, I've learned that I hate sitting still, both physically and figuratively. The idea of coasting through the rest of my life makes me feel like Huck Finn trying to act "sivilized," it goes against my nature.

The biggest change has been in how I perceive success. I'll use a car analogy, since we're all partial to those. :) After high school, a lot of my peers were (and still are, almost a decade later) content to cruise along at 35 MPH, working part time at the mall and watching MTV Cribs in their moms' basements. My outlook was, " I'm pretty sure the speed limit is 75." So I pulled into the left lane, mashed on the gas, and passed them up. Now I'm in the same place, except the cars in front of me are going 75. It felt nice, until I started taking a look at the map and realized that I'm on the autobahn and can go as fast as I damn well please!

One of my friends at work is my former manager who I've looked up to as a sort of a mentor and role model in my career. His salary is in the six figures, he gets a large yearly bonus, and he lives comfortably in a nice home with his family and takes several vacations each year. He also routinely works 50-60 hour weeks and barely sees his wife and kids. I used to feel like those were necessary sacrifices for the rewards. But the more I think about it, what good is a beautiful, healthy, well-off family if you never see them? I have probably half his responsibilities, work twenty fewer hours each week, have no children, and I already feel like I barely have any free time. I've gone from viewing my friend as an example of the pinnacle of what I could achieve, to viewing him as a cautionary example of where I'm headed if I don't keep climbing.

This new perspective is so liberating and eye-opening. Everywhere I look, I see possibilities. I talk to my wife about eventually becoming self-employed and then independently wealthy as if they're inevitable things, because I really believe they are. I'm usually such a skeptic that I never believed I'd find an idea that could get me this excited. But that's the great thing about the fastlane and entrepreneurship, these principles are so firmly grounded in concrete, proven concepts that it appeases the Spock in me that wants to see the logic path in everything. It's the focus on process over events that satisfies my skepticism.

What's really great is how, the more ACTION I take, the more excited I become. Every programming concept I learn and every idea I map out brings the execution of my plan into clearer focus, and that's been thrilling. Every now and then I feel the pull of the "desert of desertion" but I'm so emotionally invested and 100% committed to this new path that I know I'll be miserable if I give up. Thirty years of 9-5 seems so torturous now. I'd rather have a lifetime of failed attempts at greatness than a lifetime of successful mediocrity.

Thanks for indulging this little book I've written here, guys. I'm just so ecstatic over this new outlook and direction that I had to put it out there.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Everywhere I look, I see possibilities.

Awesome post. I have no doubt you will succeed in your next quest. You seem to be the type will excel at whatever seed is planted in your mind.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
My advice would be to pursue your fastlane goals while you continue to work for this company. Once you've succeeded then you can quit. Don't quit first because you might need the salary that you make from them to fund your fastlane business on the side.

Hokoleskwa

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
23%
May 25, 2011
Denver
That's definitely how I plan to approach it, Darkside. I haven't been able to decide on an exact number, but I think I'm going to have a pretty high threshold for how much income I'm earning and how long I've been earning it before I'll feel comfortable walking the tightrope without a net. I want to at least feel like I'm approaching my business system target at a good pace first.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.