The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Paleo Lifestyle

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
Hmm losing weight by drinking butter. Forgive me if im skeptical. :D

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

I might get the exact scientific details wrong, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but heres my summary.

What you are doing with the paleo diet (or similar high fat, low carb diets) is replacing the energy intake from carbs with fats. This sounds scary to most people, because they think that eating fat equals getting fat, but thats wrong. The whole "low-fat diet = healthy" campaign is bullshit.

Gaining/losing weight is about hormones, mainly your insulin level. The insulin level is influenced by your sugar intake (carbs are turned into sugars during digestion), so if you eat carbs (or other sugars) your insulin level rises. Insulin is the hormone responsible for storing fat and a high insulin level lowers your ability to burn fat and raises the amount of fat storage. Other effects of a high insulin level are food cravings, especially for more sugars and carbs, so a bad circle is created. High insulin levels also lead to inflammation (which is bad) and of course in extreme cases diabetes.

On the other hand, if you eat a low amount of carbs, your insulin level is low all the time and you become a fat burning machine and become healthier. Calorie intake doesn't matter. Just eat until you're satisfied.

Its basically a hormonal diet, you're working WITH your body, instead of against it (e.g. caloric restriction).

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Thanks Jill. Are you following Paleo too? Still doing the 'chipotle' diet ala tim Ferriss? Good results?
I followed the slow-carb (ala Tim Ferris in The 4-Hour Body) off and on for 2 years. Yes, I was pleased with the results. Lost approx 70 lbs! I say "approx" because I've bounced around a lot and have been plateau'd for about 6 months.

So last week I decided to shake it up a bit to try to lose the last 20 that I want to lose to get to my goal of 15% BF (currently at 22%). I landed on The Bulletproof Diet, ala Dave Asprey, which is - as he calls it - "Upgraded Paleo". So far, I'm down 9# in 6 days. I don't think it's primarily water either because I was already doing low carb. The next 3-4 weeks will be the true test!

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I do since a few weeks. Not specifically paleo, but the bulletproof diet (The Bulletproof Executive), which he calls "upgraded paleo" (because its basically paleo foods but only the highest quality) combined with intermittent fasting and supplements. Eating very high fat and almost zero carbs, approx. 3000kcal a day. I feel great and am losing fat everywhere, its literally melting of.

I started about a week and a half ago combined with IF and a fresh juice every day. I actually started the IF a week before Paleo. Still eating carbs, but getting them from an occasional Sweet Potato, fruits and veggies. Lost about 8 lbs already and I was already in decent shape to begin with. The only supplements you need to take if you do it right are Vitamin D (Due to our lack of sun and not getting enough of it in our food), Omega 3's (Because of an over abundance of Omega 6 in our diets), and Probiotics (because of the damage grains have done to our intestines and modern medicine). We really don't need anything else.

All my research pointed me towards Paleo being a nearly perfect diet for the human body. It also has a million claims of common (and uncommon) ailments disappearing when people jump on board. I considered Paleo a "fad diet" and tried my best to discredit it but all signs were pointing towards it being a really, really solid plan.
Generally speaking I'd say it's a nearly perfect diet.

I agree 100%. I've been doing a ton of research into it over the last 2 weeks. In the middle of reading Robb Wolf's book. I've tried all types of diet's over the years (Except Vegan. Could never do that! I'm a carnivore!). So far I feel Great, have lost fat, and after reading so much on it, it really does seem like the perfect diet. Definitely not a fad. I can see people starting to realize what eating this way does for your health, and Paleo becoming bigger and bigger. My energy is way up. I don't feel bloated or gassy. Very focused. Working out and playing sports at higher levels than a few weeks ago.

I'm going to give it a month before I give a full report, but so far I love it.

I'm also going to put my wife to the test. She was just diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease (An autoimmune disease that attacks the thyroid). She also has frequent headaches, vertigo, and is always very tired. I know for a fact that it has to do with her diet. She's about 5'4" 110 lbs. She never gains weight so she thinks she could continue eating the way she does. Her daily diet consists of Oreo's, Pasta, cheese, cereal, marshmallow's, cake and ice cream. Complete opposite me. I keep telling her that besides her other ailments, she's headed on a crash course to becoming a diabetic. And very soon.

I'm scaring her into testing Paleo for one month to see if there are any changes. I bet she's see's a huge difference.

I also came up with a GREAT fastlane idea. Not sure if I'll have time to implement it, because I am already very deep into something good, but I might partner up with someone who has the time and money.

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
I feel fine after red meat and eggs - no different than chicken or turkey. I was just wondering from the cholesterol perspective.

Then I say go for it.

Remember, this is the same medical community that prescribes countless medications with horrific side effects to "cure" patients. This is the same medical community that pushed the food pyramid for DECADES as "healthy" -BTW- did you all know that the group that funded the original "study" that produced the Food Pyramid was the National Association of Wheat Growers (or whatever the hell they called themselves back in the day)? Yeah, shocking.

It's sad that in this day & age you can no longer rely on the predominant medical community for accurate or healthy information, you have to hunt it down yourself, test it yourself & validate it (or throw it out) yourself.

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
I take you follow others... care to share examples?

I hope you don't mind sharing more, I really like to hear of success and lessons learned from others like you that have been there before.

What has been your experience with paleo and/or other versions of it?

How long have you been on this?

Are you doing IF (Intermittent Fasting)?

I was literally bedridden at one point and looking at trying to get into some sort of carehome for the rest of my life (was in my twenties). I started to take my body/condition in my own hands rather than just rely on medical experts and thats when things started to improve. I wrote about it here that may give you a better idea;
https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/fastlane/42295-wealth-success-story.html

It was sometime in 2011 that I heard about things/ideas related to what we term "paleo diet" which has played a major part in my "success"

I have experimented since. I've recovered quite a lot, though I'm not there yet.
I could probably write loads on this and bore everyone to death, but to keep it (relatively) succinct;

I haven't actually read much of Dave Asprey. I did come across him and there's definatly some good stuff there but my BS monitor couldn't handle it. But if he brings people to a better way of living, then all power to him.

Robb Wolf and Mark Sisson's sites are two of the most popular and are still solid starting points. There are others that have grown quite a following too and made some great idea contributions like "theperfecthealthdiet" (safe starches), Chris Kresser (fish oil) etc
When you're starting out, it can be good just to stick to simple tenants and then as Robb Wolf would say see "how you look, feel, perform." and build on those habits
After a while, it's about dialing in the diet to your requirements, experiences and goals.

Depending on how much time you have, you can spend more time reading other sources and stuff. There is literally 100s of sites blogs/forums, here's a couple of examples; Good Paleo blogs? - PaleoHacks.com 18 Underrated Primal/Paleo Blogs You Should Be Reading | Mark's Daily Apple

Once you get an idea of the basic ideas, you can find absolute gold in the comments section of articles, small blogs and things like paleo hacks. A quick way to get lots of opinions off people is to google what ever your issue/idea is with the term "paleo" added to the phrase. e.g. "high fat paleo tired mornings". So it becomes about individualising the advice more and more to you as you go on.

But at the same time don't feel it's necessary to spend loads of time reading up etc if you don't have the time. And especially when starting out. I go through phases. And did at one point, read and research a lot. But my condition was pretty extreme and is probably not necessary for 95% of people (the other 5% being those who are really ill or those trying to be elite athletes etc)

Each person has there own agenda (can be positive and/or negative) and this is NOT a stable, we know all the answers diet. (none are really). Also realise that it is a highly INDIVIDUALISED diet for those who stick to it.
I'm reluctant to say that as it can put people off, but its the truth. After you get into this you realise there is no magical set of rules that work for everyone. People are postulating based on scientific articles etc and real world experience and things that are recommended now may not be in the future. But this makes it even more respectable in my opinion. It's "best guess" work. -Even the more popular sites, so you want to start individualising the advice and LISTEN TO YOUR BODY (thats a skill though, that takes time to master too!)+leverage other people's experiences+studies in that area.
Some people who are used to dogmatic diets, just follow something without critical thought- (e.g. some eat extremely low carb when reading about paleo, which will work for some but can be the worst thing to do for them depending on lots of factors). So this can take time to learn
But there have been some powerful conclusions that work for a lot of people (e.g. diary/gluten/carb control etc) and thats a great springboard, as they effect many people.

So realise two people could eat two totally different diets and both call it "the paleo/primal diet", and both could be great for them. Two people could also eat identical "Paleo diets" and one could feel great on it, so tell their friend, but their friend not feel good with that particular interpretation of paleo.

Intermittent Fasting - I haven't ventured too much with this, as for my specific situation I wasn't keen on risking more stress on my body at that time. I might play with it in the future though. Lots have had success with different protocols around this

One other thing- pyschological - there's many good articles (just at mark sissons and robb wolfs blogs even) about the struggles around this. Food is addictive, and ingrained in our culture. It can be tough to change or people around you to understand.

Also for those not interested in this way of eating etc, or try it, don't like it and move on. Thats cool too. We have to find what works for us and what we're happy with. But from my experience this "philosophy" has been such a major player in changing my life so much. If it was 20 years ago (pre-internet) my life would be dramatically different to now.

I hope I'm not rambling and the above is of some use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
If anyone has wondered how the travelling cave(wo)man does it, here's what I do...

The night before I fly out (and I realize that very few others have the same ridiculous travel schedule that I do), I cook up 2 lbs of grass fed ground beef, 2 lbs of organic chicken tenders, and a dozen organic eggs. When I get to my destination, I buy organic spinach, asparagus, etc. But in a nutshell, I cook my protein in advance, fridge or freeze it, throw it in the carry-on, then keep it in the hotel-provided fridge.

Paleo in a bag.jpg

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Having tried probably every different way of eating, here is my honest take on the paleo diet:

The main reason the paleo diet works so well is for the following reasons:

1) Not eating any grains or sugar = no insulin spikes. Thus, you never get "crashes" and you receive sustained energy throughout the day.

2) By eating paleo you naturally avoid A TON of chemicals, pesticides, anti-biotics etc. etc. For this reason you naturally detoxify from all the crazy things in the north american diet these days. This allows your body to function better and more efficiently (probably things like headaches would clear up for the most part)

3. The foods you eat with paleo will result in a lower caloric intake. Meaning, it is WAY easier to eat a bag of chips vs. a bag of veggies or salad. Also things like veggies have less calories in the first place. Thus, it is extremely likely that you will lower your daily food intake = weight loss.

4. When following paleo, your intake of veggies goes up significantly (especially green leafy ones), which in turn will hydrate your body better even if you don't up your water intake. This will result in less water retention in your stomach = flatter belly and tighter skin.

Doing any of the above listed things will get you results 100% guaranteed. Therefore paleo could be totally 100% false and still work.

The thing Rob Wolff always uses as his example of good health is that his blood results are amazing. I can find a guy who eats a ton of rice that has amazing blood work as well.

I don't think paleo addresses the real issue of the way food is being produced for North Americans. I strongly believe that genetic modification, pesticides (and I am talking the hardcore ones they use in Mexico), anti-biotics, growth hormones, gluten overdose etc. are the true problem.... let's not even go into the glycemic level of candy these days...

Another thing to consider is the "humans didn't eat grains for until 100 years ago" phrase. Paleo advocates argue that since it is so new to use we don't handle it well and that it's not natural. Correct me if I am wrong, but last time I checked, grains come out of mother nature just as vegetables do. It's not like aliens came to earth and gave us grains.

I'll leave it at that for my objective outlook on the paleo diet. If anyone wants, I could convince you why I don't think peanut allergies exist at all (perhaps another thread).

P.S. In Robb's book he said something along the lines of "Don't be an idiot like me and skip sleep to start a business". I actually got really mad because that's a decision he can't make for anyone. He went fastlane and after the fact he is telling us "to be smarter" and not to do it. I think I'll just start a new movement with Likwid and we'll call it "Ancient Buddhist Chinese Diet - Shows How Spiritual Monk's Consistently Live Forever Eating Only Rice".

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I do since a few weeks. Not specifically paleo, but the bulletproof diet (The Bulletproof Executive), which he calls "upgraded paleo" (because its basically paleo foods but only the highest quality) combined with intermittent fasting and supplements. Eating very high fat and almost zero carbs, approx. 3000kcal a day. I feel great and am losing fat everywhere, its literally melting of.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Fat doesn't make you fat. Likewise, dietary cholesterol isn't linked to your body's cholesterol (last I checked).

My typical daily meal "on the wagon" looks like this, it's pretty simple:

Breakfast: 3 Eggs. Salt, Pepper, some ancho chili seasoning mix I picked up somewhere for flavor, a small bit of cheese (occasionally) just to keep it interesting. Sometimes I'll mix in salsa or make mushroom/spinach frittatas.
Lunch: Sardines, usually in some sauce (mustard or tomato). Right out of the can. Delicious.
Dinner: Meat + veg. I do this in a million ways. Pick a meat, pair it with a cooking method, throw a side of veg next to it. Done. Seared pork chops with broccoli, butterflied grilled tenderloin with mushrooms, chicken with mixed veg.

Not everything here is perfect, but it's not bad. I just try to limit the total crap as much as possible, most of the time. I need to get stricter but I tend to fall off the wagon the stricter I get so I'm just changing small things slowly as I go.

One thing that pisses me off to no end is all the filler-shit in foods these days. Even my sardines have some amount of modified cornstarch in them. That shit is in basically in every sealed container I find. That or sugar.

I'd take a very short expiration date to eliminate half this shit from my foods. I don't need artificial colors, I don't need corn (in any form), I don't need sugar, I don't need added salt. So frustrating.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Haven't posted my progress yet. So far its been about 30 days since I started. I look and feel great right now. I have never had such a rapid body transformation in my entire life. It usually takes me 3-4 months to get as lean as I am now. And I still have never gotten this lean.

From mid November to new years basically, I was working non stop due to the hurricane. I literally went well over a month without working out once (I never do that). I started eating bad during the holidays and on new years, I looked in the mirror and got a little depressed. I started losing some shape, and gaining a belly.

Then I joined Corssfit. That combined with Paleo, IF and my own work out routine, and I have completely transformed. I need to go get my body fat %. It's probably pretty low right now. I did lose a little size and strength in certain areas, but I am rock solid, and I have gone up in weight in the most important exercises - Dead Lifts and Squats. Before, I was just getting up 275 lbs on my dead lift. The other day, I did 11 reps of the same weight.

If I continue this pace, I should be the leanest I've ever been within the next month.

Paleo and Crossfit for Life! :D

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
There are TONS of people that do Paleo and workout like champs. You just have to make sure that you get enough protein and fat to use as energy.

Exactly. I do crossfit everyday, which is as intense as a workout you can possibly get. I did 3 workouts this week that were killer. Regular gym buddies think I'm nuts. Ad I did it all on an empty stomach (IF), just 5g of bcaa's before. I sub in some sweet potatoes on heavy workout days. I get most of my carbs from veggies. I eat some fruit, but not much. Mostly berries. Almost all my energy is from fat. And trust me, I have TONS of energy now. More than I've ever had in my life. I feel like a teenager again.

It works really well if you don't have a very active life and are overweighted and want to lose bodyfat.

It works very well no matter where your at. It's not about losing weight. It's more about the effect it has on your body. No more aches and pains, tons of energy, skin is much clearer, no upset stomachs, I rarely get sick, I power through my workouts. The list goes on and on. That's such an inaccurate statement.

To eat low carb the right way, you probably need to have a good running fastlane business. It will cost a lot of money.

That's another completely false statement that most people use as an excuse, and that just what it is - an excuse. I've spent less now than I've ever had since I've been on my own (about 12 years). You don't realize how much you save by cutting out all the shit. The only thing I spend more money on is meat. The money I make up on the other end, outweighs the cost of the meat by A LOT.

There's also a major difference between dieting to lose weight, and eating healthy. Yea, I can lose weight by eating bread. I've done it so many times in the past. It's not about losing weight. It's about what's happening to your body when you eat bread, or any grain. There are many people who my friend and I refer to as 'Skinny Fat'. They appear healthy on the outside. Good genes, or metabolism. They look like their in great shape. But if you look at everything else that's going on inside their body, the truth is that it's complete opposite. My wife, or ex-wife, is the perfect example.

Do a little research on paleo, and you will probably change your opinions.

Tiger

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Mar 8, 2011
However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.

However, I have a question. No one is having heart problems by cholesterol? I have understood that many quantities of meat consumption is bad for heart health.

What you've brought up is probably part of the biggest nutrition and health battle in many years.

Basically you have two camps. The more traditional "Lots of fruits, veggies, lean means and whole grains" (FVLMWG) camp which is what most doctors and nutritionists subscribe to and the "High saturated (healthy) fat, protein and low/no carb" camp which is what Paleo, Primal, Keto is.

A major point of the PPK camp is that it is the insulin response to carbs (highly processed, refined carbs in particular) which is driving the liver to produce our own saturated fat and cholesterol which is killing us. It the massive amount of sugar and grains (gluten) which is causing massive amounts of inflammation in our bodies and hearts.

Here is a link to a chapter of the TNT Diet book on Google that gives a good summary of why they feel saturated fat is actually good for you.

Men's Health TNT Diet: The Explosive New Plan to Blast Fat, Build Muscle ... - Jeff Volek, Adam Campbell, MS, CSCS - Google Books

If you research enough, you'll find tons of first hand accounts of people who were on a traditional "FVLMWG" and had pretty good markers for HDL, LDL, Triglyceride, etc. and then tried the PPK style diet for a while and actually lowered all markers even more. The reduction of sugar and grains reduces inflammation which is the cause of heart disease and many other traditional western diseases.

Arrabista

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Jul 22, 2012
United Arab Emirates
Hi There Folks … and just wanted in to contribute to this great paleo thread

This is my personal view of what has worked for me as optimal nutrition for our bodies….Food and nourishment is contentious subject at the best of times…I liken it to religious beliefs in terms of the zeal by which people argue their beliefs with regards to what is a “proper diet “ or the “correct nutritionâ€..
If this thread is going to challenge what you believe is ‘good nutrition;’ then please bear with me this is what I have done personally : what works for me , what I have physically ,kinesthetically examined, looked over and been practicing diligently .

My belief Each person has to find their own answers ...I am posting this because I am passionate about optimal nutrition . To cut a long story short about my history and turning points in my life ..in my intro post on this forum at one stage…12 years ago I contracted “tubercular meningitis†in Indonesia and I basically went into a coma for a month..I was out bedridden and when I came back into consciousness I had to basically rebuild from scratch…build my physical strength, deal with nerve damage and train my muscles to weight bear after being bedridden for a month. I went from about 85 kgs down to 50 kgs..so l took my healing and nutrition very seriously. Safe to say I walked out of the hospital after a month , because I refused to believe anything else otherwise….You can imagine being given a second chance at life I take health very seriously… 

This is my pay it forward to this great forum…. I look at food as energy. You can liken in it to people ..some people add energy to you and some take energy away from you …same with food …If we are looking at a correct or optimal mindset: spirit, intellect down to physical realm .. food to me plays a crucial role.

My belief about food has been to question CONVENTIONAL WISDOM. Question everything ! and derive your own answers
I have embarked on this journey for a long time now…. and still does to this day …. Food is not about dieting to me is not about counting calories ,its not about calories in and calories out , proper nutrition to me has no shortcuts , it’s the mindset you have for optimal living ,longevity and vitality.
What I follow is an Ancestral or evolutionary diet , based on the hunter gatherers basically nothing processed or refined, in tune with nature, as we have done for thousands of years prior to the advent of agriculture and farming grains….. this way of eating is often called ’paleo’ ‘primal’ ..there is currently a huge ground swell with regards to this against the Standard American Diet , American Heart Association and the conventional wisdom we have been led to believe is ‘good’ for our health . I was a vegetarian , low fat guy for years and have been strictly paleo for about 2 years straight. Best I have felt ever in my life..hunger pangs subsided… I intermittent fast as well and I exercise regularly but no way as much as I used to before….

here are some links that resonate for me and might be of use to you …
:Great info graphic:
The PaleolithicDiet Infographic
Sarah Wilson
an Australian Media presenter has a great summary of her own take on it :
what is the paleo diet? (plus how I’m doing it) | Sarah Wilson

fitbomb: they have a great wrap up too :
FITBOMB: What Is The Paleo Diet?
Mark Sisson has a fantastic book called “ the primal blueprint “ amazing lifestyle design ,he talks about how we have also lost the element of play ; her is his website, with newbie faq’s, great website and the success stories are really inspiring :
Newbies Start Here: Primer to the Primal Blueprint Lifestyle | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness Forum page
some inspiring stories:
Hypertension, Prediabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and 75 Pounds, All Gone in 6 Months | Mark's Daily Apple
no-mo...#axzz1zceSDT1ohttp://www.marksdailyapple.com/
Some food blog Resources, delicious! :
Nom nom Paleo, great recipes :
Paleo Recipes | Award-Winning Paleo Recipes | Nom Nom Paleo
Robb wolf is another great resource, amazing guy : here is his quick start guide:
http://robbwolf.com/wp/wp-content/up...QuickStart.pdf
Suggested 4 week shopping list :
http://www.crossfitxystum.com/docs/paleo-shopping.pdf

I saw a great documentary “the perfect human dietâ€
Its one man’s quest to discover what humans ideally should be eating , I won’t spoil it buts its aligned with : paleo!
Here is mark sisson talking about it
In Search of the Perfect Human Diet - Movie Review | Mark's Daily Apple

I hope this helps .. thanks:)

Arrabista

santa

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
73%
Jul 15, 2011
UK
The problem with Paleo is that its broad, you almost have to create your own version.
very true

As a country we have been conditioned by food companies to develop a sweet tooth, which is just a result of food companies simply trying to sell more food.
Certainly there is truth to this, and there are several factors. But when looking from a business or "customer demand" basis it's a toughie.
I remember seeing stats, that the more sugar added to a product the more is sold. It's one of the reasons we have the sweatest fruits and vegtables ever. They were cultivated for this over other qualities (nutrient density for example). Because they sold better etc.
From a business perspective it would be very tempting to add in sugar if it meant I could fudge on the quality of the ingrediants and see my sales and bottom line increase.
What you mention about Kelloggs is very true too- how they managed to sell cardboard cr*p is insane.

For those interested in food, but also how business/human behaviour can effect things,
I heartily recommend the BBC documentry series "The men who made us fat" which is USA/UK focused. It's pretty fascinating from a business and food/paleo/health perspective;

Ep 1
In the first of this three-part series, Jacques Peretti traces those responsible for revolutionising our eating habits, to find out how decisions made in America 40 years ago influence the way we eat now.
[video=youtube;E6nGlLUBkOQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6nGlLUBkOQ[/video]

Ep 2
Jacques Peretti investigates how the concept of 'supersizing' changed our eating habits forever. How did we - once a nation of moderate eaters - start to want more?
[video=youtube;owekbSp7wU0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owekbSp7wU0[/video]

Ep 3
Jacques Peretti examines assumptions about what is and is not healthy. He also looks at how product marketing can seduce consumers into buying supposed 'healthy foods' such as muesli and juices, both of which can be high in sugar.
[video=youtube;ZlQHXkOUjeI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlQHXkOUjeI[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MHolland

Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
87%
Dec 26, 2013
Anyone try the Paleo Diet/Lifestyle yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

I did a "Paleo Challenge" at my gym recently. The challenge was to eat only Paleo for 6 weeks. Submits results at the end of the 6 weeks and he or she that shows the most drastic changes, wins free membership for a certain time. Of the 80+ participants, I got 1st place and 2 free months membership. The results that I submitted included the following Before and After:

Pictures
Weight
Fat %
6-wk diet log
Blood work - that's right! Blood work from a lab. Sample taken before Paleo and a sample right after.

I ate 6,000 - 8,000 calories daily. This included various combinations of eggs, steaks, sausages, ground beef, soup bone and roasts for breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and another snack at night time. I also threw in steamed vegetables drenched in olive oil for a good measure of carbs for energy at the gym. Tons of sea salt! No holds barred on hot sauce either.

Asides from the 19 lb weight loss, a drastic improvement in the before/after pics as well as fat % loss, what blew my mind was the improvement in the blood work. When they say that eating red meat and salt will kill you - what a load of baloney! All parameters of the blood work report showed HUGE improvements, especially with MCV, MCH, LDL, HDL, RBC, WBC, and a long list of other parameters that the lab people measure and submit to our genius MD's in white coats, who love to preach the importance of reducing meat and salt intake.

FINE PRINT: all the meat that i ate was organic, grass-fed, grass-finished beef straight from a farm. The eggs were not organic. I used urinalysis strips daily to monitor if my body was in ketosis or not. I remained in ketosis all throughout the 6 weeks. I drank water like a race horse.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thread title changed since Paleo isn't a diet, it's a way to eat permanently.

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some people are very carb sensitive, some are not. Some will respond great to Paleo, some will not.

Here's one of my clients WHO STILL CONSUMED PLENTY'O CARBS while dropping body fat.

1505673_795325903871958_7956937772041397530_n.jpg

He ate tons of rice. And beans. And some brews. And bread (the horror).

Conclusion: Don't believe in fitness dogma. If you think Paleo is the way, the truth, and the light… There's a fat loss pill I'd love to sell you.

C'mon man, what's he 19? At that age I could get away with anything. However when u get to my age when the hormones aren't as free flowing and the joints not so forgiving, things aren't so easy anymore. Paleo is really the only plan for me that I could notice a difference in everything I do.

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
I dunno....Yams/sweet potatoes are totally paleo and oh so NOMMY!

*wipes mouth*

Sorry, what was that again?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
What do you eat in a typical day? And do you recommend any books or websites with Paleo recipes?

I drink my coffee in the morning (approx. 500ml, with 80-100g grass-fed butter and 3-4 tbsp MCT oil). My lunch and dinner (sometimes I skip lunch and eat a bigger dinner) right now are usually a combination of beef (mostly ground because I can't really afford other stuff right now), broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and eggs. I like to keep it pretty simple right now, because the bulletproof diet has a few unusual cooking guidelines and I have to get used to them, so I focus on getting the right stuff in my body and worry about "meal presentation" later.

Here are a few pics of some typical meals..

blanched free-range eggs with grass-fed organic bacon and organic spinach
181156_4151997645772_1792273854_n.jpg

grass-fed organic beef with organic broccoli and grass-fed butter (yep!)
Sankt Gallen-20130109-00020.jpg

and this was a cheat meal 1.5 weeks ago when I was visiting my parents, haha! big-a$$ selfmade burger :)
IMG-20130104-00016.jpg

Dave Asprey (the authoer of bulletproofexec.com) has a recipe book: Upgraded Chef: 12 Core Recipes to Supercharge Your Body & Brain: Joni Sare, Dave Asprey: Amazon.com: Kindle Store
Unfortunately, kinde lending is not enable, but the recipes are pretty good. I made a beef loaf 2 days ago with spinach and some cheese in it, tasted great and looked like this:

Beef Loaf.jpg

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
I drink my coffee in the morning (approx. 500ml, with 80-100g grass-fed butter and 3-4 tbsp MCT oil).

I can't imagine that tasting good. Coffee and butter? What's the deal with that?

That meatloaf sure as hell looks good though!

I usually skip breakfast, drink coffee and water in the morning. Try to get to the gym before my first meal. Drink BCAA's before the workout. Then I come home and eat a nice big first meal. I love breakfast so I make a 4 egg omelet with Grass fed, lean Turkey Bacon (Applegate farms). I top it with Avocado. Drink some coconut water. Then I make myself a fresh juice in my juicer. Usually blueberries, blackberries, carrot, celery, kale, swiss chard, spinach, ginger and lemon. I love my fresh juice. I can get way more than my daily intake of fruits and veggies in that one cup of juice alone.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Encouraged by some people here, but special thanks to Likwid24, I researched more about this and decided to take the challenge and try paleo for 30 days. I started it this week.

The reason I see Likwid24 as inspiration is because:

a) I trust him and don't see him feeding me BS here
b) He is seeing results but he is not 20, he is closer to my age, and I think age makes a huge difference in progress and results

I also followed the recommended link about the Nerd Fitness website and others, and researched alternatives.

So, like I said, I am giving this diet a 30 day trial (unfortunately it does not come with a full-money-back guarantee because I did spend heavily in my first shopping trip).

This week I've lost weight, but I can't claim it is all related jut to the diet as you may know I am also doing the Insanity routine. I know diet has a bigger impact on weight control, but instead of focusing that much on weight, I will focus more on well-being, on feeling good and I expect to see the results in each soccer match I play. Also the mirror is a good guide. I see some leg definition already, and the gut fat seems to be 'changing'. I may need a new belt soon.

My goal is simple. If I can get Red to say I look hot, I know I've made it. (And I know that one is a TOUGH metric to go by, given the hunk she's got as a boyfriend).

What do you recommend for Omega 3 and Probiotics? I feel kind of lost on this one with soooo many options out there.

I'd prefer some fish oil instead of flax oil but couldn't choose one, too many options.

P.S. I talked about my progress in the Insanity thread, here https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/health-fitness/43693-insanity-post259122.html#post259122

Last edited by a moderator:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
After these past two weeks, I'm down about 7 lbs. I didn't even think I had it to lose, I just wanted to see if I would feel better. And I do. Pretty impressed thus far, excited to see the final results. I'm pretty sure I'm hooked but the final numbers will probably just drive it home even more so.

Jill

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Jan 26, 2008
Frisco, TX (Dallas)
Yes, I agree with this. I know I need more energy to sustain the workout.

However, if this the case, I should also be losing more weight during these days when I am more tired, and that is not happening.
This is what has me confused so far.
Andres ~

You may find this Robb Wolf Podcast helpful. He addresses the variations that different people need to make to Paleo, based upon their body type, fitness objectives and activity levels.

Edit: LOL. I just followed my own link to find that it only takes you to his main podcast page. I think it is #169, his very first podcast, to which I was referring.

Last edited:

Red

Nigerian Lottery Prince
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Feb 23, 2010
Phoenix
Hey Red, how did it go with the ending of the challenge? Metrics? Other than getting hotter, what did you get out of it? Lessons learned?

I didn't get to attend the final day -had clients early that morning & it's damn near an hour drive to that particular crossfit gym... Gonna try & do it this week for the physical measurements.

As for the rest of it, I've felt great this past month. I cut out my favorite quinoa & black beans for this little experiment & won't go back to them (never thought I would say that, but felt better without). I'm hyper sensitive in assessing how my body reacts to things & it's been a good month- inflammation almost non-existent (except when I ate something off the list) & overall improved mood & attitude during the day (because it's harder to have a good attitude when you don't feel well from food you've just eaten).

An almost silly side note: I've been plagued with horrible dreams since I was a child. Just previous to & during this challenge, I've linked sugary foods (especially something like an ice cream -like a small Dairy Queen Blizzard after dinner/before bed) to having fueled my bad dreams. The response was so immediate & so horrific, it's pretty damn easy not to eat that any more -no will power required, I'm simply afraid of it now.

Other than that, I've dropped a little bit of weight (I'd say 5-7lbs) and feel leaner over all -always a nice bonus.

I'm looking into buying more paleo cookbooks & trying to refine my choices when dining out, but like anything else, it's a process & one that I plan on improving as I go along.

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
Most people don't really eat to like brocolli at 12 o clock in the afternoon, and then again some vegetables at 14.00.

On Paleo, you get used to adding vegetables at all hours of the day. I am pretty sure that there are days where I am over 100 carbs on Paleo; especially if it is a day where I am heavy on nuts and raisins or something. It's tough to get that high on carbs, but you could do it.

For people like me (i train 5 - 6 days a week), carbs become more and more important. The way to get carbs, for me, is by lots of vegetables and fruits. Indeed, no bread. No white flower. You need to be aware of what fruits you are taking.

There are TONS of people that do Paleo and workout like champs. You just have to make sure that you get enough protein and fat to use as energy.

It works really well if you don't have a very active life and are overweighted and want to lose bodyfat.

It works for me, and I'm not overweight, though I would like to get down to the lower range of weight for my height. Most people, even me, who do Paleo do it for the health benefits, and get weight maintenance or loss as an extra benefit.

So, you need to buy lots of fish, meat.. and other protein sources.

Yup, and don't forget eggs!

To eat low carb the right way, you probably need to have a good running fastlane business. It will cost a lot of money.

I would respectfully disagree. Yes, if you buy grass fed beef and free range eggs, organic product, etc, it could get pricey, but you can do Paleo without spending a lot of money. I buy 100% of my Paleo food at Aldi and don't spend much at all. I've found that by cutting out all of the junk from my diet, I probably save money. Plus, I think I actually eat less overall, than I used to.

I know that you work out most days, and I don't, and that I would need to eat more if I were training regularly, but I still think it's very feasible for someone who really wanted to try it on a budget.

As an aside, I have worked out much more on paleo in the past and did fine. I never felt like I didn't have enough energy. I think I'm going to start a new training program in a few weeks. Yay!!

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Ima sucka. @Likwid24 @andviv and @Red are coaching me along. Been Paleo for a couple weeks now. I feel incredible. Energy levels are rising on a daily basis, I have more mental clarity and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

:happy:

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So much bull in this thread.

Who are you referring too? And who are you?

Paleo is definitely working and calling it "unhealthy" or "just another diet" is like all the slowlaners discrediting fastlane principles just because they've been taught to think mainstream.

The parallels are strikingly similar.

Ima sucka. @Likwid24 @andviv and @Red are coaching me along. Been Paleo for a couple weeks now. I feel incredible. Energy levels are rising on a daily basis, I have more mental clarity and I've lost 10 lbs so far.

When it comes to health and dietary advice, most arguments render useless because everybody is different. Each body responds to different dietary intakes in different fashion, and genetics play a role as well.

If someone lives a Paleo lifestyle and feels great, looks great, and has a lipid profile to back it up, does it FN matter what anyone else says?

Is someone seriously going to say "Well, I feel great and I look damn good -- buy hey, the John Smith, PHD of the FDA says that this isn't healthy -- let me go back to eating 75% carbs and grain-based food so I can go back to feeling like shit again." LOL.

Whatever works FOR YOU, works for you.

If drinking a glass of monkey urine 3X a day makes me feel good, look good, and my blood work reflects such, WTF is anyone to say otherwise?

The point of this thread should not be a debate about Paleo, but about giving you an alternative to try if you're body doesn't look and feel as it should.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.