The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Painting Business

TaxMan79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Jan 25, 2016
Has anyone had any experience with a Painting Business or know of anyone who has? It seems like it would be wide open for anyone with decent marketing skills and a real drive to gain business. The actual work doesn't seem all too difficult to learn either.

I know from customers who hired painters, the biggest issues they had with the painting contractors were:

1.) Showing up on time(or at all...)
2.) Finishing the job
3.) Attention to detail and producing quality work.

So what's the catch? Why isn't there a mad rush to start this low barrier to entry business?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TaxMan79

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Jan 25, 2016

I watched some of his vids earlier today. He definitely knows what he is doing. I plan on watching the rest of the vids and maybe getting his course.

I know he is selling a course about how to do it, so I can't help but feel he is going to be biased. I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who has actually done it(who isn't selling a course on how to do it.)

jazb

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
232%
Nov 24, 2013
The U.K
I watched some of his vids earlier today. He definitely knows what he is doing. I plan on watching the rest of the vids and maybe getting his course.

I know he is selling a course about how to do it, so I can't help but feel he is going to be biased. I was hoping to get the opinion of someone who has actually done it(who isn't selling a course on how to do it.)

You don't have to buy the course. It's all explained in the vids. painfully simple.

You're just getting the work and subbing everything out. That's all there is to it

Mikkel

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
186%
Feb 25, 2016
New Hampshire
I have watched those videos too. Great content. What more do you need from him to start?

Just go out and start.

If you find any barriors then you begin to work around them, just like any other bussiness.

One thing Id probably suggest is to go work with a painter for a month or two, or longer if you need it. Get to understand the ins and outs of your market. Get to know the type of people you will be subcontracting, get to understsnd what your customers will be like. On top of that, it will be a good idea to know how to paint in the beginning incase one of your subcontracts shows there subpar side and doesnt show up to work... and you have to do the job yourself.

Screw all the step-by-step BS. Could it help, yes. Do you need it to start? No. Begin to devlop your own systems, once you start making some money, then you can start looking at buying his course and speeding up the process.

Just make sure you take action first.

strobe

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
122%
Mar 28, 2016
Australia
Well it relies on the construction industry, so if times are slow, business is slow. Plus you'll get most of your work through builders, and other construction companies and they aren't going to hire a newbie with zero experience. If I were you, I would go out and try being a painter for a few months and see if you enjoy it and see if you could make it work.

bob johnson

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 15, 2015
I do painting freelance. No employees no boss.

Low barriers to entry equals low margins. You are not gonna walk off the street and make 60% margins in painting without impressive sales and marketing skills. Or a good history of customer satisfaction.

The really ace guys in this business are doing about 500 grand per annum. Profit. Might want to check out Idaho painter on YouTube. He's doing about 100 grand sales per month from what I've been able to glean from his vids and his posts on a forum I frequent. Does zero adverstising. The power of YouTube and social media.

I cannot stand working for contractors and rarely do it. They are cheap as F*ck and have little respect for painters. In fact, nobody does. Which is the main barrier to entry: are you willing to do the work. Be prepared for that awkward pause after you tell someone the business you're in. Don't say I didnt warn you.

Just subcontract out? It's that easy? Hahahahhahahahahah. In addition to the challenge of finding painters for the task, laws have gotten increasingly strict on subcontracting.

Most governments deem long term recurring subcontracting for the same employer as well...working for that person as an employee.

That being said. As a oms (one man show) I do pretty well. I'll charge about 200 dollars(with paint)for an average sized room 2 coats just walls. And I can crank out 3 of these a day. But its taken me a while to get to where I'm at, and my lines are razor sharp.

Ill be eyeing this thread carefully. And am hoping to benefit from the biz oriented membership here. Most of my exchanges online is with fellow tradesmen.

Last edited:

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ
Has anyone had any experience with a Painting Business or know of anyone who has? It seems like it would be wide open for anyone with decent marketing skills and a real drive to gain business. The actual work doesn't seem all too difficult to learn either.

I know from customers who hired painters, the biggest issues they had with the painting contractors were:

2.) Finishing the job

So what's the catch? Why isn't there a mad rush to start this low barrier to entry business?

I'm not in the painting biz, but I'm in an old school industry that share's a lot of similarities.

As has been said already in this thread, the barriers are a lot highter than you might think at first. In fact the short list of issues you mention in your post are actually a pretty big barrier all by themselves and there are plenty of others you haven't run into yet. That being said, the bigger barriers are actually a good thing.

You are correct, though, when you say the industry is "wide open for anyone with decent marketing skills". Old school industries are full of old school guys. I have five direct competitors in my city alone, but when I started running Bing ads there was ONE other company advertising in the entire country. Think about that for a minute and you will see the possibilities. Andy Black seems to be the guy to talk to about local service biz marketing.

I'm all for going after old school industries. They are an untapped gold mine in the internet age.

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC

2.) Finishing the job

In my experience, it's exceptionally difficult to start one of these old school service businesses without money. You need money upfront to hire people, advertise, and set up management systems. I tried to bootstrap my way from doing all the work myself (working in the business) to having employees and focusing on sales/marketing/growth (working on the business), but I could never bridge the gap after paying folks and supporting my family. That's why you see so many mom and pop, one man band-style service contractors...they make enough to live on, but can never take the pay cut necessary to hire employees and managers, buy trucks, etc. to really grow it into a true business instead of a job.

KeepGoin

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Mar 17, 2016
In my experience, it's exceptionally difficult to start one of these old school service businesses without money. You need money upfront to hire people, advertise, and set up management systems. I tried to bootstrap my way from doing all the work myself (working in the business) to having employees and focusing on sales/marketing/growth (working on the business), but I could never bridge the gap after paying folks and supporting my family. That's why you see so many mom and pop, one man band-style service contractors...they make enough to live on, but can never take the pay cut necessary to hire employees and managers, buy trucks, etc. to really grow it into a true business instead of a job.
There is another post on this forum about a man who bridged a service industry. He was an immigrant in Canada if I remember correctly. Started by shoveling snow off of driveways. Then he eventually grew enough to hire crew and expand. From that post it seems like it can be done. But it isn't easy. Just like with lawncare, carpet cleaning, or other service businesses. The ones on top have to have their stuff together pretty well and are super efficient. There is a post about the snow shovel guy on the forums, sorry can't remember the name.

Last edited:

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
Could you please educate us on what attempts you made to "bridge the gap" and how they worked out? Thanks
Simply having enough cash reserves to weather a storm(s). For instance, when my delivery van's engine seized on the highway, I had little cash to rent a truck and continue operations (that cash was slotted for keeping the house going). So my operations suffered, as I was back to operating out of my small SUV, my customers service suffered, my reputation took a hit, and it damaged future sales. Other similar problems emerged (poor quality employees due to relatively low pay, unable to run ads due to lack of money, etc). I think one of my bigger mistakes was thinking I could bootstrap my way to having employees, trucks, inventory, running ads, and having a family. If everything didn't go perfectly, it wasn't going to work, and in my case some unfortunate things happened that caused me to have to shut it down. However, if you have a lifestyle where you have minimal expenses and you don't have other people depending on you, it's far more likely that you'll be able to succeed in making that service-business-as-as-job to real service business transition.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
I think one of my bigger mistakes was thinking I could bootstrap my way to having employees, trucks, inventory, running ads, and having a family.
I'm mighty curious because I'm also a family man, bootstrapping my design & manufacturing startup, and planning to eventually have employees, equipment, inventory, website & ads.

Please forgive this barrage, but...

Was your standard of living kept high even though you were struggling to start the business, or were there some unexpected family expenses?
Did you have debt with defined payments that prevented you from reducing your expenses, or were you debt free?
Did you have any backup savings at the time of your startup? If so, what % would you estimate?
Did you settle for low quality employees because you were trying to scrimp, and could you have used half the guys but paid them twice as much?
In retrospect, how might you have changed this to get those better employees?
As I've often read here, "Sales solves everything!", how did the effort to bring in more sales work out?
Knowing what you know now, what might you have done differently?

Thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
I'm mighty curious because I'm also a family man, bootstrapping my design & manufacturing startup, and planning to eventually have employees, equipment, inventory, website & ads.

Please forgive this barrage, but...

Was your standard of living kept high even though you were struggling to start the business, or were there some unexpected family expenses?
Did you have debt with defined payments that prevented you from reducing your expenses, or were you debt free?
Did you have any backup savings at the time of your startup? If so, what % would you estimate?
Did you settle for low quality employees because you were trying to scrimp, and could you have used half the guys but paid them twice as much?
In retrospect, how might you have changed this to get those better employees?
As I've often read here, "Sales solves everything!", how did the effort to bring in more sales work out?
Knowing what you know now, what might you have done differently?

Thank you in advance for sharing your insights!

- Standard of living didn't drop too much (e.g. we didn't pack up and move, send our kid to the cheapest day care, etc), but we had a number of mini financial catastrophes that hit at particularly bad times
- Yes to debt
- No, this is the biggest mistake I made
- Low quality due to skimping...it's all I could afford, and I could usually only afford one guy at a time
- Make more money...I only had one guy at at time
- It didn't! At some point you need to advertise, and if you don't have the money to do that, you won't grow fast enough (barring some crazy viral craziness)
- Before quitting my day job to start a service business, have enough cash to pay employees and run ads for at least 3 months

7d8

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Oct 20, 2016

2.) Finishing the job

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.