The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Packing up to live in Asia

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hi all.

I have seen a few threads like this before, but thought I would start my own on the outside (have a progress thread on the inside) about quitting your job and relocating.

I have been working in the oil and gas construction industry for 3 and a half years, which involved flying to a small island in the middle of nowhere (where there is absolutely nothing), working for 26 days in a row, then getting 9 days off. About 200k AUD per year (150k USD?). Two months ago changed roles from construction to production as the plant came online, which meant changing to a much more friendly 2 weeks on 2 weeks off roster for about 100k AUD per year. I have just been travelling in my time off, usually in Asia.

Living the dream, right?

Wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for what the opportunity gave me, and actually enjoyed a lot of it. I remember being quite pissed off when guys would complain about the job and the conditions. Couldn't believe it, with the money they are on, they are complaining? Haha. Well, when your time comes, your time comes I suppose, and it is different for everyone as to when that happens.

But the penny has finally dropped. A large majority of us are here because we want to be financially successful and independent. But it is indeed a great day when you finally realise how little money means you can't enjoy life because you hate your job and spend most of your time working on it :banghead:

Anyway.. I have finally decided to release the golden handcuffs. Luckily I have been pretty good with my coin since I started making this money (previous best before this job was a pittance!). Spent a lot travelling the world but also made some great real estate investments. Tied up more of my cash than I would have liked at this point though! Will be quitting my new role in the next few months (even though I would fecking looove to do it now!) so as to not put out my work crew and supervisor (who is a friend and a good manager). And also allows me to leave on good terms so the possibility to come back in a few years can remain open if absolutely necessary. I always like to do that, even though I have NEVER gone back to a previous job. Really, once I am gone, there is just no going back. But also will allow me to get that last few bank digits I need to be able to live travelling around Asia for the next year or two with a friend. My god it can be done cheaply. And it allows you 100% of your time to study and begin fastlane ideas.

I am also thinking about spending 6 months to a year in south and central America, depending on what I get my final bank balance to.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has done this, and will keep an occasional posting of how it is unfolding.

Cheers!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
F*ck it.
Make it happen.
Only one life.

[HASHTAG]#Respect[/HASHTAG] for actually jumping off the cliff, while most people just watch.

Enjoy it bud :)

Captain Jack

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 16, 2015
USA
Hi all.

I have seen a few threads like this before, but thought I would start my own on the outside (have a progress thread on the inside) about quitting your job and relocating.

I have been working in the oil and gas construction industry for 3 and a half years, which involved flying to a small island in the middle of nowhere (where there is absolutely nothing), working for 26 days in a row, then getting 9 days off. About 200k AUD per year (150k USD?). Two months ago changed roles from construction to production as the plant came online, which meant changing to a much more friendly 2 weeks on 2 weeks off roster for about 100k AUD per year. I have just been travelling in my time off, usually in Asia.

Living the dream, right?

Wrong.

Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for what the opportunity gave me, and actually enjoyed a lot of it. I remember being quite pissed off when guys would complain about the job and the conditions. Couldn't believe it, with the money they are on, they are complaining? Haha. Well, when your time comes, your time comes I suppose, and it is different for everyone as to when that happens.

But the penny has finally dropped. A large majority of us are here because we want to be financially successful and independent. But it is indeed a great day when you finally realise how little money means you can't enjoy life because you hate your job and spend most of your time working on it :banghead:

Anyway.. I have finally decided to release the golden handcuffs. Luckily I have been pretty good with my coin since I started making this money (previous best before this job was a pittance!). Spent a lot travelling the world but also made some great real estate investments. Tied up more of my cash than I would have liked at this point though! Will be quitting my new role in the next few months (even though I would fecking looove to do it now!) so as to not put out my work crew and supervisor (who is a friend and a good manager). And also allows me to leave on good terms so the possibility to come back in a few years can remain open if absolutely necessary. I always like to do that, even though I have NEVER gone back to a previous job. Really, once I am gone, there is just no going back. But also will allow me to get that last few bank digits I need to be able to live travelling around Asia for the next year or two with a friend. My god it can be done cheaply. And it allows you 100% of your time to study and begin fastlane ideas.

I am also thinking about spending 6 months to a year in south and central America, depending on what I get my final bank balance to.

Would love to hear from anyone else who has done this, and will keep an occasional posting of how it is unfolding.

Cheers!

Where in Asia?

mtn_baldy

The Charismatic
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
355%
Apr 20, 2015
Kalispell, Montana
Good on you bro. Experience everything life has to offer. There are seven continents, all vastly different from each other, might as well see what's going on there while you can.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Where in Asia?
Have already been partially living in Bali the last few years during my time off, and have done plenty of Thailand already. So looking at India (particularly Goa..), Sri Lanka, Myanmar again (although their visa can be a pain), Laos, Cambodia (have friends in Siem Reap), Vietnam, Malaysia. Would love to do some hiking through rural China, looks amazing. Really though, you just get over there and see where it takes you. Not worth having too much of a plan because it will be out the window within the first week anyway!

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Really the main thing is not so much about the travel though, but having an extremely low cost lifestyle and being able to focus 100% on making a change to something fastlane. Detox the slowlane and every single facet of it out of my life..

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Have already been partially living in Bali the last few years during my time off, and have done plenty of Thailand already. So looking at India (particularly Goa..), Sri Lanka, Myanmar again (although their visa can be a pain), Laos, Cambodia (have friends in Siem Reap), Vietnam, Malaysia. Would love to do some hiking through rural China, looks amazing. Really though, you just get over there and see where it takes you. Not worth having too much of a plan because it will be out the window within the first week anyway!

Congrats to you making change.

However, have you considered the opportunity cost of going on these adventures?

It will be very difficult to build a big business while adventuring around.

I've lived all over SE Asia in the last year (Bali being a favorite), but my best focus and biggest business gains have come when I was in one place and laser focused on the business.

Your heart is in the right place, but your mind isn't quite there yet. You will figure out what's right for you as you go along.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

I've lived all over SE Asia in the last year (Bali being a favorite), but my best focus and biggest business gains have come when I was in one place and laser focused on the business.

Your heart is in the right place, but your mind isn't quite there yet. You will figure out what's right for you as you go along.

This is true, but the bottom line for me is I can't keep doing what I'm doing in the oil and gas industry, working away for such periods of time. Starting to kill my soul and is just trading away far too much of my life. It is actually cheaper (and to be honest, more interesting, motivational/inspirational whatever you want to call it!) more for me to base myself in Asia than in stupidly expensive Perth, Brisbane or Sydney. I have been travelling for a few years, as fun as it is, that isn't really the goal of what I'm doing. I definitely have no problem basing myself somewhere inexpensive and not travelling. A lot of the work I am currently doing towards my fastlane idea (trying my hand at product development and licensing products related to my previous employment industry) can be done online (it is not a business that will be based in or probably even operating in Asia). There will be times that I will need to travel back to Australia if it takes off though. But at least basing myself in Asia means I can afford to spend 100% of my time working towards it. I don't have the luxury of being able to move back in with my folks rent free!

Not gonna lie though, am definitely feeling pretty fried after working away so much the last 3 and a half years.

Last edited:

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

Just out of curiosity, what period of time did you find was long enough to be able to focus effectively? At this stage I am tentatively planning to spend about 6 to 8 weeks in each place give or take, depending on the situation I find myself in. Not wanting to spend less than a month anywhere, but if I found somewhere I liked I would like to spend longer. If you were doing a whirlwhind backpacking trip, moving every week, you are right, it would be a struggle.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hi,

Consider Philippines. It is a lovely country with a favourable cost of living. It is also a good hub of IT talents where you can start your own e-commerce or cloud business
I actually have Filipino friends that I worked with until a few months ago that I would love to catch up with, and it looks amazing. Much cheaper than Malaysia I have heard, although I have been to neither (except a few days in KL).

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
@MattR82
I came back from India about a month ago, spent a few weeks in Goa as part of my month there. Not sure if you've been to India at all yet but it's an awesome place, cheap and the locals are really friendly (I take it much of Asia is like this...?)
Also they largely speak good English with them being an ex-colony so that is a major plus if you want to bed in for a bit.

Goa is really good by the way, definitely worth going to and staying for a while. I can give you some good hostel and club recommendations. The club season is largely over now but it's good when that's in full swing. Distracting though haha.

I have a similar idea for going to Asia for a period and working on biz so we should friend up on FB or whatever.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
@MattR82
I came back from India about a month ago, spent a few weeks in Goa as part of my month there. Not sure if you've been to India at all yet but it's an awesome place, cheap and the locals are really friendly (I take it much of Asia is like this...?)
Also they largely speak good English with them being an ex-colony so that is a major plus if you want to bed in for a bit.

Goa is really good by the way, definitely worth going to and staying for a while. I can give you some good hostel and club recommendations. The club season is largely over now but it's good when that's in full swing. Distracting though haha.

I have a similar idea for going to Asia for a period and working on biz so we should friend up on FB or whatever.
For sure man, I was actually eyeing up Red door hostel in goa, have read the guys blog on starting a hostel and found it pretty funny. Not worried about it being off season, would probably prefer that anyway. From what I have heard from friends, Goa is somewhere I should expect to stay for at least 3 months. Have done the partying, it's all about having the time and money now. Will PM you!

Josh

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Feb 27, 2014
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
I am Australian too and have been living in Asia now for 18 months.

The first several months were spent hustling whilst living off of savings (definitely to not recommend this).

I agree with @JasonR you definitely want to settle down in one place. I could never get anything done whilst moving around.

Right now I am setup in Bangkok and plan to be here for the foreseeable future.

Always open to a chat if you have any specific questions.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Just out of curiosity, what period of time did you find was long enough to be able to focus effectively? At this stage I am tentatively planning to spend about 6 to 8 weeks in each place give or take

This is different for every body.

If you've built a business before, your learning curve will be much shorter.

If this is your first venture, you'll need a lot more time - and you'll have to account for screwing up and mistakes.

I would play on staying in one place for 6 months.

When you move to a new place, if you're like (and most personality types who enjoy frequent travel/moving) you will want to explore and not work much.

Once your business is supporting you and your travels, then I would maybe pick a spot for a month or two. I like to travel slow. When I find a spot I like I tend to say awhile (hence bali for 7 months).

My current place I plan on staying for 3-4 months to focus on my business and fitness goals I have. And it's a place I've already been before, so I don't have the urge to explore.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I am Australian too and have been living in Asia now for 18 months.

The first several months were spent hustling whilst living off of savings (definitely to not recommend this).

I agree with @JasonR you definitely want to settle down in one place. I could never get anything done whilst moving around.

Right now I am setup in Bangkok and plan to be here for the foreseeable future.

Always open to a chat if you have any specific questions.
We still need to meet up. Want to try to get together sometime next week?

@JamesSJ are you still around?

MotiveInMotion

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Mar 14, 2016
Independent
Hey man!

I quit college and moved to Thailand with a one-way about a year and a half ago. I still spend about $500 a month on everything including food, rent, utilities and transportation.

It gave me a 100% free time to start an online business, sell that, invest in other projects, and build my blog Motiveinmotion.com. I only would have realized that I wanted to help people with their mindset, if I actually took this route. Otherwise, I would still be in school chasing that degree and maybe a freelance career.

Nothing wrong with that, just not fastlane! If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you. I've lived in Thai, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Japan for a bit.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
Hey man!

I quit college and moved to Thailand with a one-way about a year and a half ago. I still spend about $500 a month on everything including food, rent, utilities and transportation.

It gave me a 100% free time to start an online business, sell that, invest in other projects, and build my blog Motiveinmotion.com. I only would have realized that I wanted to help people with their mindset, if I actually took this route. Otherwise, I would still be in school chasing that degree and maybe a freelance career.

Nothing wrong with that, just not fastlane! If you have any questions I'll do my best to answer them for you. I've lived in Thai, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Japan for a bit.
This.

I have about plenty of coin and an investment property with a load of equity that is going up an extra 50k a year, but I really think I can do it comfortably on 1000 AUD a month if I only move every 3 months. But 500, you are doing well! I don't know if I could get it that low, but I kind of want to try, even though I don't need to so much. The main thing is to have the time to get more involved in my fastlane venture. I truly believe it would speed up my progress 10 fold.

I have done a bit of Thailand and am off to Tiger Muay thai in Phuket in a few weeks (booked ages ago). Have you ever stayed in Koh Tao? I could see myself spending a few months there haha. But I think Goa and Vietnam for the first 6 to 9 months is a better idea when I just want to focus entirely on my startup company. I will definitely have some questions for you in the future if you don't mind me messaging you.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
This is different for every body.

If you've built a business before, your learning curve will be much shorter.

If this is your first venture, you'll need a lot more time - and you'll have to account for screwing up and mistakes.

I would play on staying in one place for 6 months.

When you move to a new place, if you're like (and most personality types who enjoy frequent travel/moving) you will want to explore and not work much.

Once your business is supporting you and your travels, then I would maybe pick a spot for a month or two. I like to travel slow. When I find a spot I like I tend to say awhile (hence bali for 7 months).

My current place I plan on staying for 3-4 months to focus on my business and fitness goals I have. And it's a place I've already been before, so I don't have the urge to explore.
Yeah I think 6 months is a good place to start, you definitely make sense. Where do you stay in Bali, Canggu? Do you go to Dojo? Have heard some strange things lately about people getting arrested in co-working spaces over there (Sanur) for visa infringements, even though they are only online freelancers :rolleyes: hopefully it was just a misunderstanding though. It's a shame the crime is starting to become more ingrained in Bali. More and more every day, especially against women.

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Have you ever stayed in Koh Tao?
You didn't ask me but...awesome place!

I've only been once for 5 days or so but absolutely loved it. Snorkeling was insane. Thousands of fish in front of your eyes, razor sharp reefs though that will slice your hand open if you're not wearing gloves...

neighboring koh nang yuan is stunning and worth making the quick trip over to

SKfPBUc.jpg

Now I want to get back

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I've been on that exact hill haha. Don't know how suitable it would be for what I am trying to do though, but awesome place. Last time I was there the entire place flooded and had to be rescued by the navy a week after I left.

Anyway, I don't want to bombard everyone with jealousy indusing travel porn pics. Where abouts are you based now and how are you finding it for running your business? Did you say you are in Bangkok?

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
I've been on that exact hill haha. Don't know how suitable it would be for what I am trying to do though, but awesome place. Last time I was there the entire place flooded and had to be rescued by the navy a week after I left.

Anyway, I don't want to bombard everyone with jealousy indusing travel porn pics. Where abouts are you based now and how are you finding it for running your business? Did you say you are in Bangkok?
Yes, Bangkok. Fine for running a business. Some obstacles need to be overcome. 1 example would be if I want to personally inspect my goods I'd have to pay an absurd import tax. The timezone is a bit more suitable for you if you're selling in Australia than myself who mainly focuses on the U.S market.

Internet is pretty good, rent is pretty cheap, and there's an endless amount of things to do inside and not far from the city. I've got a family now so I cant exactly travel all the time. Bangkok is good place to raise a kid imo.

JasonR

Maverick
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
May 29, 2012
Las Vegas
Yeah I think 6 months is a good place to start, you definitely make sense. Where do you stay in Bali, Canggu? Do you go to Dojo? Have heard some strange things lately about people getting arrested in co-working spaces over there (Sanur) for visa infringements, even though they are only online freelancers :rolleyes: hopefully it was just a misunderstanding though. It's a shame the crime is starting to become more ingrained in Bali. More and more every day, especially against women.

What!? Where have you heard that? That sounds absurd - unless someone is dumb to tell authorities they are "working" there while on a tourist visa.

Yes I've been to the Dojo. I lived in Seminyak in a villa on the quiet side of Sunset.

When I'll go back I'll likely stay in Canggu - the surf is a bit more intermediate / advanced there then Kuta/Seminyak beach. Though there were some beautiful surf days on that beach.

Last edited:

Eos

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Mar 5, 2011
England
What!? Where have you heard that? That sounds absurd - unless someone is dumb to tell authorities they are "working" there while on a tourist visa.

Yes I've been to the Dojo. I lived in Seminyak in a villa on the quiet side of Sunset.

When I'll go back I'll likely stay in Canggu - the surf is a bit more intermediate / advanced there then Kuta/Seminyak beach. Though there were some beautiful surf days on that beach.

I was gonna enquire the visa situation.
I understand people get the on entry tourist visa's which let you stay for 30 days and then hop between countries to restart with another 30 days?

Do people who are for 6 months have to leave every month and come back. Sounds like a pain but a small tiny price to pay I guess.

The Duc

Bronze Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
318%
May 18, 2014
AZ

First rule of perpetual travel . . .

When the immigration officer asks "business or pleasure?" the answer is ALWAYS pleasure. Always.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane

I'll do some more research and get back to you on it. Will try and find the old post on it on the community page. Was about a month or so ago. Have heard of this happening in Thailand as well recently but they were all released and it was just a misunderstanding.
Ps if you are looking at Canggu, get yourself added to the canguu community page on facebook.

MattR82

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Oct 4, 2015
Brisbane
I was gonna enquire the visa situation.
I understand people get the on entry tourist visa's which let you stay for 30 days and then hop between countries to restart with another 30 days?

Do people who are for 6 months have to leave every month and come back. Sounds like a pain but a small tiny price to pay I guess.
I have always done the 30 day tourist visa. As an Australian it was a 30 USD fee, but that was waived about a month ago which is great news. Not sure but I think it is free for brits. There are a few different visas that are more suitable for guys like us. I think you can get 60 day visas etc. I will be researching this over the next few days and will get back to you. Think a 6 month visa may be a possibility.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.