The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Owner thought I was Information Panhandling during Idea Extraction

Idea threads

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
My wife and I are in the midst of getting our living room painted and we received some in-house bids, but I wanted to get some more.

I went on BBB (Business bureau) and found you can request quotes from there. I realized you can get into contact with the owners much faster there.

After getting some quotes, I realized this would be a good opportunity to practice some idea extraction, after all, the painting industry hasn't been innovated in decades.

I talked with one owner in particular and asking him about the industry his problems and such. After talking for a while he finally said, " You know, my last client I charged $325 an hour to consult for, I think this is enough consulting without getting paid, you think.."

I was a bit taken about and apologized and assured him I was trying to find ways to help him in a crowded industry such as the painting industry, but he said he needed to do some other things now.

Have you guys ran into this during idea extraction? I asked him straight up what frustrations he had and his ideas about the market in general. Then he told me a big one and I tried to dig more on it and that's when he pulled up.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
I've only encountered that with older generational type business owners. Like there is some hidden family secret I'm trying to find. Lol

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
yes, once in a while while I was seeing if my idea would be applicable to another industry. The owner was pretty hostile at first, but after I explained that I was just trying to get information and was in no way selling her she calmed down. She explained that she got "sold to a lot" over the phone by hustlers and was definitely on guard.

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
I've only encountered that with older generational type business owners. Like there is some hidden family secret I'm trying to find. Lol
There are, at least in their minds.
Mrs. jon's family made most of their money in the feed and supply business. Their vendor list was kept locked up. It contained the secret vendors that the family had spent decades developing relationships with.

They viewed it as a barrier to entry for wannabe competitors. I viewed it as a mindset of scarcity as opposed to one of abundance.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA

Yep, he was older, Had worked for the man for 25 years, took early retirement package and started a painting biz. His main issue, I don't mind sharing, is that now that the economy has picked up and people are willing to shell out money for painters, he doesn't have enough workers to complete the job. He was pissed because recently he had to send loyal customers to a competitor because he didn't have enough workers to get around to them. It hurts him but there's just not enough skilled painters he said [not to mention there are a zillion painting companies]

yes, once in a while while I was seeing if my idea would be applicable to another industry. The owner was pretty hostile at first, but after I explained that I was just trying to get information and was in no way selling her she calmed down. She explained that she got "sold to a lot" over the phone by hustlers and was definitely on guard.

Maybe that was a bit of his fear is I was selling him something, didn't think of that. Maybe if I had assured him it would've kept the convo going. Thanks!

Iwokeup

Aut viam invenium aut faciam
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
May 23, 2014
The East Coast
Yep, he was older, Had worked for the man for 25 years, took early retirement package and started a painting biz. His main issue, I don't mind sharing, is that now that the economy has picked up and people are willing to shell out money for painters, he doesn't have enough workers to complete the job. He was pissed because recently he had to send loyal customers to a competitor because he didn't have enough workers to get around to them. It hurts him but there's just not enough skilled painters he said [not to mention there are a zillion painting companies]

Maybe that was a bit of his fear is I was selling him something, didn't think of that. Maybe if I had assured him it would've kept the convo going. Thanks!
No problem man. Keep on hustlin'.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.