The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ouch! Rejection sucks

Anything related to matters of the mind

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
I know the job market sucks but I wanted to toy around and see how I would fare so I applied for some interviews at my school (just hit apply, sent resume, get reviewed).

I am 21, graduating from Engineering one semester early (this semester) with a 3.6, about 30% done with my MBA as well.

I have 2 years of marketing and E commerce experience, ~1 year of on site actual engineering experience. CEO of my own company.

And I got rejected for an interview for a retirement plan consulting intern (basically a sales position).

That I have to admit, is rather depressing, I can't even get an interview for a introduction level job for a "normal" undergraduate student :smxE:. Makes me doubt myself a bit truly how capable I am hrm..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I wouldn't worry about it too much ... rejection just builds the greatness of your unfolding story.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Rejection just builds the greatness of your unfolding story.

MJ,
Great statement. I hope this one makes it into your book. :)

-Mike

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
Don't doubt yourself. Aim higher. Be creative and figure out how you can prove yourself to be more valuable or how you can market yourself to a potential employer that makes you stand out and prove that you're a valuable asset. No means you need to find another way to yes. Or create your own opportunity. You only fail if you quit.

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey

And I got rejected for an interview for a retirement plan consulting intern (basically a sales position).

That I have to admit, is rather depressing, I can't even get an interview for a introduction level job for a "normal" undergraduate student :smxE:. Makes me doubt myself a bit truly how capable I am hrm..

Like others stated above, don't worry about it. What matters now, is how you handle the outcome. Ask yourself " What did you learn from this experience? Has this experience taught you something about life?" Ask yourself these questions and I am sure you will change your perspective on this outcome. You are capable of what you set your mind to. If you say you can do this or that, you will do it. Just keep your mindset positive.

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
Like others stated above, don't worry about it. What matters now, is how you handle the outcome. Ask yourself " What did you learn from this experience? Has this experience taught you something about life?" Ask yourself these questions and I am sure you will change your perspective on this outcome. You are capable of what you set your mind to. If you say you can do this or that, you will do it. Just keep your mindset positive.

Better yet! Ask the person in charge WHY they didn't interview you and learn.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Thanks everyone, and thanks especially to Cat Man. What you said was so true and I am highly curious as to why I got turned down. The entertaining thought in my head is that I am over qualified :p Too bad the whole process is anonymous so I can't find out who did the pre filtering.

Don't worry guys, that hurt my pride a bit, but I am not where near down. It merely enforces the notion that for the same amount of effort to get employers to value me despite my age, I can get companies to value my company despite my age... where as I win more in the 2nd case :D

Infinity

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Oct 2, 2009
Yeah, I'm the same age as you and get rejected from many jobs as well :p

Side related story:

I was interviewing for an executive position on a student run club at university. I thought the interview went alright, but I didn't get the position. Instead of being down about it, I decided to start my own club. Went through all the steps to do that, and 2 weeks later I was on the other side of the table doing the interviewing as President of the club. Anyway, what I'm getting at is - things can be a blessing in disguise, it's how you react which determines your fate

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
@mkzhang Don't worry bud! Keep marching on and use that as motivation..

I had to work at a call center for about 4 months before I finally landed a recruiter "career" job right after college.

Seshiro

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Oct 14, 2009
"What dont break a nigga, makes a nigga" - biggie smalls

^ lol excuse the N word, just wanted to quote it word by word.

GlobalWealth

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
225%
Sep 6, 2009
Latvia
Makes me doubt myself a bit truly how capable I am hrm..

I am sure most of you are aware of Michael Jordan's story. He was cut from the HS basketball team because he was not good enough. Talk about a coach's wrong assessement and overcoming rejection!!! He did ok in bball I suppose.

Rejection is a blessing. Rejection means you have applied for the wrong job or you are pursuing the wrong field. Maybe you were over qualified. Maybe the HR person reading your resume was looking for someone older. Who knows? You shouldn't really care either. It would certainly be nice to know why you were rejected so that you can learn from it, but doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong or need to change something. It is a very touch job market right now and many companies are taking advantage of it by only hiring those with specific experience and of a certain age. When unemployment is at 4-5% they cannot do this, but at 10% like now, they can afford to be very selective. That doesn't always mean they are getting the best canidate, but maybe the one that fits their desired profile.

Your perception of the rejection is the most important thing to consider here. Do you see it as an opportunity or a failure? Every adversity has the seeds of opportunity, but your reaction to it determines the outcome. Remember, no one ever wins by quitting.

LagunaLauren

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
May 20, 2009
Laguna Beach, CA
2 more things to consider:
1) a company placed 2 ads for only one web programmer position in the paper. One listed the salary as $120k a year. The other ad listed it for $22k a year. The first, higher paying ad received only about 4 responses. The second ad for MUCH less pay got over 100 responses. Most people have a lack of confidence in themselves and their ability and are willing to settle for so much less. (Aim higher. There's less competition at the top)

2) I would NEVER blindly submit a resume to an HR person for a position I that I really wanted. (Not that you wanted this position, but when you do...) I'm surprised you even got a response back! (One thing you learn from this experience is that follow-the-herd mentality rarely works). ALWAYS do something better, more creatively to get in the door with a higher-up with decision-making ability. When I had my own company, I got clients like Porsche, Mattel, Billabong and Grand Hyatt by finding out about the CEO or President and approaching them directly. When I got a VP position at a large int'l corporation, I bypassed HR completely and got in with the President, who, after many lunch meetings, created a position for me that didn't exist. And at a much higher salary than other VPs.
***Read "The Power to Get In" by Michael Boylan. I am doing some corporate consulting on the side and by still using this info/technique, recently landed a deal that will make me 7-figures each year for the next 4 years in residuals.

mkzhang

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Sep 30, 2009
Yeah, I'm the same age as you and get rejected from many jobs as well :p

Side related story:

I was interviewing for an executive position on a student run club at university. I thought the interview went alright, but I didn't get the position. Instead of being down about it, I decided to start my own club. Went through all the steps to do that, and 2 weeks later I was on the other side of the table doing the interviewing as President of the club. Anyway, what I'm getting at is - things can be a blessing in disguise, it's how you react which determines your fate

Thank you, that's exactly what I am thinking, turning that rejection into motivation.

2 more things to consider:
1) a company placed 2 ads for only one web programmer position in the paper. One listed the salary as $120k a year. The other ad listed it for $22k a year. The first, higher paying ad received only about 4 responses. The second ad for MUCH less pay got over 100 responses. Most people have a lack of confidence in themselves and their ability and are willing to settle for so much less. (Aim higher. There's less competition at the top)

2) I would NEVER blindly submit a resume to an HR person for a position I that I really wanted. (Not that you wanted this position, but when you do...) I'm surprised you even got a response back! (One thing you learn from this experience is that follow-the-herd mentality rarely works). ALWAYS do something better, more creatively to get in the door with a higher-up with decision-making ability. When I had my own company, I got clients like Porsche, Mattel, Billabong and Grand Hyatt by finding out about the CEO or President and approaching them directly. When I got a VP position at a large int'l corporation, I bypassed HR completely and got in with the President, who, after many lunch meetings, created a position for me that didn't exist. And at a much higher salary than other VPs.
***Read "The Power to Get In" by Michael Boylan. I am doing some corporate consulting on the side and by still using this info/technique, recently landed a deal that will make me 7-figures each year for the next 4 years in residuals.

You are a LIFE SAVER! Not only is your post helpful, but you have answer the question that I didn't even bother to ask because I don't think anyone can help me other than saying "experience and connection"

Thank you so much!

Cat Man Du

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 30, 2007
2)

:urock2::great::yourock:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.