The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Open Source Video Software?

mizchels

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Jan 14, 2008
St. John, USVI
You know how there's quite a few open source software programs that offer the basic features of many high-end ones? I use FTP open source software, and there's options for photo-editing, word processing, etc. Does anyone know if there's any decent options for basic video-editing software besides Final Cut Pro? I'd like to try my hand with web videos but don't want to dive into Final Cut just yet. If you have heard of or use anything else, perhaps you could point me in the right direction. Thanks!
:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
I think most video software is paid beacuse of the typical codecs being used belonging to companies.

The only open source/free program I know is FFmpeg, it works great even though it's not very user friendly when you first use it. I know it's the software used by many of the new youtube clones showing up.

It might serve you depending on what you are trying to do.

Analyzer

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
Also, if you're just trying to do some basic editing and using windows you might use Windows Movie Maker (I think it's part of the basic windows package).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlwaysCurious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jan 16, 2008
GMT +1
For video editing, there is nothing more flexible than VirtualDub.
It's free, it's scriptable, there are many plug-ins and it does everything, but you'll have to invest time to learn it's basics.

For help on any video related topic, look here: http://forum.doom9.org/

zaiteku

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
7%
Dec 10, 2007
Honolulu, Hawaii
Hi,

not to plug Mac (I dont want to start a flame war here) but just speaking for software iMovieHD works well. I mostly use Final Cut Pro, and its of course very good (feature films are edited on it). But for basic stuff, iMovie is great. Also, I edit HD video in iMovie, on my 2 year old laptop (the first of the dual cores), I can scrub in realtime, and it renders decently fast. It has limitations (hey its almost freeware) but overall its very good IMHO.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.