The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Posting Open Questions on the Forum (Already a function)

runnaboi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
177%
Nov 25, 2020
Australia
Just an idea I had, not sure if its any good. How about adding an option to new posts that mark the post as a question. That post has an "Open Question" status until either the OP or admin mark it solved.
I have never seen a group of people so committed to genuinely helping each other, and think this functionality would enhance that.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
interesting idea

pros/cons
people come back years later and look at stuff - would they look at it if it's solved?
they might even sort by solved/unsolved?
so, good thing for people that want to find questions that haven't been solved yet

Most questions would be marked as solved for a year or two, then someone would have another question that builds on top of it - which would mean that it needs to be marked as "new question" on top of the solved question that was originally asked

and some people won't think a question was answered, while others will think the question should be further discussed.

For example, we could tag this question as "solved" right here, but I know a lot of people would still want to discuss it

Personally, I think it would be an interesting experiment to try out - if it doesn't make sense in a week or so then we could scrap it.

Raja

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
90%
Dec 31, 2019
interesting idea

pros/cons
people come back years later and look at stuff - would they look at it if it's solved?
they might even sort by solved/unsolved?
so, good thing for people that want to find questions that haven't been solved yet

Most questions would be marked as solved for a year or two, then someone would have another question that builds on top of it - which would mean that it needs to be marked as "new question" on top of the solved question that was originally asked

and some people won't think a question was answered, while others will think the question should be further discussed.

For example, we could tag this question as "solved" right here, but I know a lot of people would still want to discuss it

Personally, I think it would be an interesting experiment to try out - if it doesn't make sense in a week or so then we could scrap it.
a simple approach would be using tags, we could use the open/close tag and the author can change if the issue is resolved.

since it is a thread con is eliminated. the close tag does not mean the end of the conversation it just means that OP found the solution he was looking for.

I think con for my approach would be that OP does not change tag even after solution is found.

also making such a feature will also be easy.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
On other forums I've visited, unless the "open/close question" mechanic is enforced as part of the culture (e.g. StackExchange) I find that it tends to be underutilized to the point where it's not helpful.

Also, In the case of StackExchange, the questions are supposed to be much more specific and objective than perhaps what would be expected here, where questions may be more open-ended with intent to gather multiple, perhaps conflicting, points of view. A closed question on SE implies that the question was answered to a sufficient degree such that the poster was able to move past their issue. On FLF, what would a closed question look like?

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Just an idea I had, not sure if its any good. How about adding an option to new posts that mark the post as a question. That post has an "Open Question" status until either the OP or admin mark it solved.
I have never seen a group of people so committed to genuinely helping each other, and think this functionality would enhance that.

I like this idea. It's kind of like Quora (which is full of idiots giving advice that isn't any good), except on this forum people tend to actually know what's going on and give good advice.

I like it too, because I often have a question that I feel doesn't warrant an entire thread.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The current system has this function for a question format.

The "new thread" defaults to a "discussion" so people rarely select "question".

The function has been around on the forum for about six months and is rarely used. When it is, people don't tend to "upvote" either.

Take for example this question...

No answer was significantly upvoted ... also, questions tend to be abstract, not concrete.

1+1 = ?? has a concrete answer.
Should I quit my job? does not.

Lyinx

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
128%
Oct 28, 2019
Lancaster County, PA
The current system has this function for a question format.

The "new thread" defaults to a "discussion" so people rarely select "question".

The function has been around on the forum for about six months and is rarely used. When it is, people don't tend to "upvote" either.

Take for example this question...

No answer was significantly upvoted ... also, questions tend to be abstract, not concrete.

1+1 = ?? has a concrete answer.
Should I quit my job? does not.
didn't notice that before - I'll try to watch out for the upvote feature. any way to search for question threads?

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
That's what those are! As a new member, I noticed this occasionally but wasn't able to figure out a pattern for which posts it applied to. I thought you were A/B testing!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.