The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Online Rental Store vs Manual

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Hi Folks,

My wife & I run a audio visual hire business. We have 2 locations & thinking about a 3rd. The last few months we've been going pretty well pulling in about 6k gross profit per month. I do some of the work myself but it's been dropping off as I outsource more. The problem that we're facing now is that we're spending a lot of time on administration which includes selling (email/phone), bookings, customer support & processing payments. I can easily spend the whole day on emails. I basically want to automate the business more. I've been thinking about investing in some cloud software that does online store/bookings/payments & is multi user & multi warehouse & integrates with Xero accounting. My issue is that it's rather expensive at $320 per month. If customers don't want to book online then it will be a waste also if it doesn't end up saving that much admin time then that will be an issue too. I currently have a custom MS Access database which works pretty well for the purpose of manual bookings but it's just a stand-alone off-line program & not integrated with the accounting software.

Has anyone had experience in changing from manual to online store? Did it save much time? Were customers happy to transition?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
1. gather all costs and put together a pro forma of great / ok / going bad assumptions and see what the numbers say
2. put together a survey and run by your customers for interest
3. create an mvp and try it out on a smaller basis (looks like you could do 3 months for ~$1k)

as a business grows, you must invest in infrastructure to grow more. finding the right software is a lot of work with large potential rewards. think bigger!

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
You don't want full-blown online presence from the get go.

Find something cheaper, that allows just booking and payments.

Check if your clients will order online or they still call/email you about offer personally.

That's about it.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
1. gather all costs and put together a pro forma of great / ok / going bad assumptions and see what the numbers say
2. put together a survey and run by your customers for interest
3. create an mvp and try it out on a smaller basis (looks like you could do 3 months for ~$1k)

as a business grows, you must invest in infrastructure to grow more. finding the right software is a lot of work with large potential rewards. think bigger!

Thanks ZCP. Some good ideas.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Just thought I'd update on my progress with this. After quite a bit of time trialing of different options I found an awesome software package that does pretty much all I need for a very reasonable price of about $130 per month. It's called Booqable & it's by a Danish company. I wasn't sure whether to get the subscription going into the Corona pandemic but I really wanted to spend this time setting it up so we could hit the ground running as soon as we come out of this. They did me a half price for 3 months deal on account of that anyway. Haven't had much of a chance to use it for new bookings but looks promising. Will do a another progress update once business is running again.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
My wife & I run a audio visual hire business. We have 2 locations & thinking about a 3rd.

Audio visual hire business as in you offer those services or you rent out equipment?
I`ve no experience with audio visual stuff, but I`ve made websites for renting out stuff.
If thats the case, then you wont regret going online, it`ll save you time and 100-200 buks per month is well worth it.
Just make your phone and email visible on literally every page so anyone can do a "fast order".
Half of people if not most will use the online forms and will not bother you over the phone.

Lee Wright

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
94%
Feb 28, 2018
Orange, NSW, Australia
Audio visual hire business as in you offer those services or you rent out equipment?
I`ve no experience with audio visual stuff, but I`ve made websites for renting out stuff.
If thats the case, then you wont regret going online, it`ll save you time and 100-200 buks per month is well worth it.
Just make your phone and email visible on literally every page so anyone can do a "fast order".
Half of people if not most will use the online forms and will not bother you over the phone.
Thanks. We do both. We rent out equipment & we do it as a service. Glad to hear from someone who has experience with rental sites. Yes I was really hoping it would cut down on my time on the phone & on emails. Yes I've put phone number too for those that do need to call. I'm also hoping to get something set up so that customers can log on & track orders or repeat customers can easily re-book & track their orders too but that might have to be through something like Woocommerce.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.