The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One of my youtube videos is currently going viral, the "scale" effect is powerful indeed.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I've had a gaming related youtube channel since Jun 1, 2015.
Until literally a week or so ago i couldn't even pass 40 subscribers with over 100 videos that i've gradually posted over the years.

and then BOOM, a single 3 minute video started getting traction.
Now barely a week later the video just broke 300k views and i just broke 1000 subscribers, with no signs of stopping yet.

Now I haven't made any money or anything, but i think this is a cool showcase of the power of SCALE. its a powerful force indeed ;)

Check this glorious graph: 13937% lol
Capture.png

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
soooooo!
small update on video.
It just broke 10 MILLION VIEWS LOL!

Since uploading that shit the channel has earned 7 GRAND! and im at 22k subs!
Capture.PNG

This shit has blew my mind, i may literally break 10k in savings for first time in my life thanks to this video lol

Never in my life would i have imagine some 2 minute video would result in such things.

Just when the virality died down to 15 buck a day, some famous youtuber with 14 million subs used my clip in his video on the game and that caused my video to go viral all over again lol.

Since my video is on the first page for any "paper.io" searches, its basically guaranteed to get a burst of views if anyone popular makes a video on the game lol

Pretty crazy stuff, definitely my first real success hustling on my own.

Will post again at 20 Mil haha

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
How did you all do it to get those views? I have made one video. I got 8 views. I want more views.

I've made 75 videos. I'm sitting at 2,263 subs and about 60,000 lifetime channel views. All this with no monetization and no immediate pay off.

YouTube is the long game. If you can't grind for a couple years without success then it's not the platform for you.

There is good information on YouTube, about how to get more views. The number 1 tip is... keep making videos.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Pin at post at the top with a simple plug about yourself and a CTA to subscribe.

"Thanks everyone for making this video go viral. I am making more content soon on... Please sub if you are into... "

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
well i didn't see this coming, but looks like ima break the 3 million views mark, even other videos of the same game didn't get this many views, except 1 with 6.7 million.

i think i got insanely lucky with this one lol

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Congrats.

lol finally crossed one mil, and the views per hour is still increasing! it hit 50,000 views per hour at peak times now lol

Feeling any passion? Excitement? Are you a bit more motivated to produce a video now?
;)

B. Cole

In thine hand is power and might.
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
328%
Mar 5, 2017
East Coast
Any clue as to why it broke out suddenly? I ask because I saw a friend’s music video go semi-viral overnight. Unbeknownst to him, a big music influencer in France used a piece of his song without permission, and in a few days his video went from 1k views to several hundred thousand.

Hopefully it was because you posted some kickass content and the world can’t get enough of your stuff!

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
How did you all do it to get those views? I have made one video. I got 8 views. I want more views.

Maybe try making more than one video?

WellWallet

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
187%
Mar 6, 2019
Incredible! Really well done. Here's hoping you can capitalize on this moment ... and see many more of them to come!

Stories like this give me hope.

I've had a personal finance youtube channel since about 2015 as well. Have been doing it on and off, but only buckled down since last September.
I have 300+ videos and only a handful have over 10k views. I'm at 205k watch minutes and really pushing toward the 240k mark to be monetized.

I'm "processing" my butt off... working toward that "event"!

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
lol finally crossed one mil, and the views per hour is still increasing! it hit 50,000 views per hour at peak times now lol

my channel is now under automatic review for monetization, but that can take up to a month so i may miss out on any opportunity to monetize. but if i get lucky maybe ill make a few bucks.
Capture.png

The youtube algorithm is showing my video to people, probably because the topic is trending maybe?

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
That's great! Perhaps this is the beginning of something much larger.
its all good either way, im just enjoyin the moment lol

Any clue as to why it broke out suddenly? I ask because I saw a friend’s music video go semi-viral overnight. Unbeknownst to him, a big music influencer in France used a piece of his song without permission, and in a few days his video went from 1k views to several hundred thousand.

Hopefully it was because you posted some kickass content and the world can’t get enough of your stuff!

the game i played is sort of trending.

Supa

Came for the $. Stayed for the Ice Cream.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
289%
May 27, 2015
Germany
This whole thread screams process and scale, and I love it! Holy shit. Seeing those YouTube numbers, the millions of views, the ten thousands of subscribers, and the hundred thousand percentage rise in views, is such an awesome real life showcase of scale and what's possible, that it's just freakin awesome :)

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Pin at post at the top with a simple plug about yourself and a CTA to subscribe.

"Thanks everyone for making this video go viral. I am making more content soon on... Please sub if you are into... "

i got a End Screen button to one of my other videos, already 40k views on that one.
Subs are happening, went from 40 to 5000+ so far lol

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
i got a End Screen button to one of my other videos, already 40k views on that one.
Subs are happening, went from 40 to 5000+ so far lol

5k subs - unreal!

Well done. Start cranking out some new content right away.

Charnell

Block me if you're a quack
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Oct 12, 2014
Kansas City
i may make more casual game videos but it can't be regular gameplay, it has to be something cool that i did just like in the one that went viral.
I checked out the video, pretty cool. Even from someone who's never played the game, I can see how impressive that is.

Recently I've gotten into sim racing. Some of the bigger YTers in the space will just record a race and give a play-by-play as to what's going on, their thoughts and tactics, and what other racers are doing. It's casual and not all "HEY WHAT'S GOIN ON IT'S *NAME* HERE SMASH THAT LIKE BUTTON!"

Maybe you could try that out but with whatever game you're playing...depending on the maturity of the audience.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtI0r3FusO0

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
I wanted to post a video from an English guy talking about his earnings. He basically advised to use Amazon affiliate links, merch, and Patreon links to boost revenue as well. Sorry couldn't find him, this guy below is annoying as F*ck, but he does explain his ad revenue. Spoiler alert it's about $3000, roughly $3 per 1000 views.

I'm seeing more people posting earning from YouTube despite the fact that there is a clause in YouTube Terms and Conditions that prohibits talking about how much a YouTuber makes from ad revenue (unless it has been removed, unlikely though).

People in the past have been wary of discussing it as their channel potentially could be shut down. However I guess they see others have openly discussed it and not got closed down (yet) so they have taken the risk themselves to improve their viewing figures.

The problem is these video earnings will vary enormously depending on who is posting them. It is not that they are lying, it's just that YouTube ad revenue varies greatly depending on the niche they are in. This makes a lot of sense if you think about it as the ads are targeted and there is less profit available targeting people interested in, say, recycling soda cans compared to people interested in learning to trade futures or invest in property.

I follow a couple of people in the UK cabinet making field (a fairly low ad revenue niche).

They both have similar YouTube channels, so I guess they started following each other, started up a dialogue and came up with the idea to start a podcast together where they just chat for an hour or so over skype (they live about 300 miles from each other).

Sounds boring and they didn't know if it had legs so took a gamble and committed to doing 10 'shows' last year. The response however was strong enough that they are into season 4 now.

They have Amazon links for most of the products they use and recommend. Patreon channels for both YouTube channels and the Podcast channel (they are now releasing a fortnightly Patreon only Podcast). They also have a small selection of merchandise, so basically everything you said. They also post regularly to Instagram and Twitter. On top of that they also have built up enough momentum to have a show sponsor which might not bring in lots of money but adds to the bottom line.

I came across both when they were running at less than 10k subscribers and it has been interesting watching their progress over a couple of year or so.

They only have 100k followers between them (split 60/40) but the one is now about to go full time on YouTube (60k followers). The other is reducing the amount of paid work he does.

Neither is making a fortune but having the diversity has helped create multiple income streams. That diversification has also created a larger internet footprint which has got them noticed more so now they are becoming minor celeb's in their field. Being invited to invitation only events here and abroad. Asked to do radio spots etc. which all helps improve the footprint further which adds to the momentum and so bottom line.

It's like building with Lego.

@luniac Congratulations. You are in a very popular niche so hopefully there is still plenty of mileage to come from it. I watched your video and found it strangely hypnotic (even though I don't get the fascination of the game itself).

I'd really be looking at ways to capitalise off it to maximise on building your audience. A YouTube audience is very much like an email list in as much as the bigger the list the more revenue you get back when you feed it content.

I'd certainly pin a call to action at the top asking people to subscribe. I take it you can't edit the video to add a call to action at the end?

Look forward to seeing you hit new heights.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
That's exactly what i did in a loop, i even made a little notepad notes to keep track:
The left video goes to the right video, bottom to top

Paper.io 2 HOW TO WIN! Paper.io 2 INSTANT WIN!
Agar.io IS BROKEN! (CHEAP TEAMS) Paper.io 2 HOW TO WIN!
Paper.io 2 | Giant Pizza Slices 100% Agar.io IS BROKEN! (CHEAP TEAMS)
Hole.io 41 KILLS! Paper.io 2 | Giant Pizza Slices 100%
Agar.io THIS IS MADNESS!!! Hole.io 41 KILLS!
Agar.io Battle Royal WIN! Agar.io THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Paper.io 2 INSTANT WIN! Agar.io Battle Royal WIN!

I think the majority of traffic dies down by the third video
so far none of my new ones went viral like the original but its ok, based on analytics they do get suggested a tiny bit so i am getting little bits of traffic to them.
Even if the new videos don't go viral, they will get more traffic through your viral one (people watching the viral video and watching the other ones after). You've got the snowball rolling already, keep pushing!

DrScream

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Oct 4, 2019
what about a product or something else you can sell on your website? Or an affiliate offer?
I'd avoid this just because it's his first viral video and you don't want to seem like you're fishing for $. Enjoy the growth and start producing more value-centered content is what I would do. It's ultimately up to you though so go test shit out and congrats man! That;s insane!

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
I was going to post my comment regarding to your first posts, but then I saw this:

soooooo!
small update on video.

View attachment 28110

This shit has blew my mind, i may literally break 10k in savings for first time in my life thanks to this video lol

Never in my life would i have imagine some 2 minute video would result in such things.

Just when the virality died down to 15 buck a day, some famous youtuber with 14 million subs used my clip in his video on the game and that caused my video to go viral all over again lol.

Since my video is on the first page for any "paper.io" searches, its basically guaranteed to get a burst of views if anyone popular makes a video on the game lol

Congrats for the massive improvement! :)

I agree with others, you've put the work (process) and now you are starting to get rewards (events). 100 videos is A LOT, I admire your persistence instead of giving up after the first 50. Noted.

BTW now you know better what works and what not, I can only see more hits like this one in the future ;) I'm very happy for you.

BlackMagician

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Jul 18, 2018
Mumbai, India
I watched the video. Well, its not about algorithm or lucky chance. Your game play technique really is very good and unique. People who are competing needed something like that. Hence your video went viral.

Now you can search for some other trending games, play and find some unique or gracious techniques to pull the WIN, Record and get Lucky every time!

You can ride the momentum buddy.

Roli

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Jun 3, 2015
soooooo!
small update on video.

View attachment 28110

Just saw this!

I'm giving you the highest of fives! Well done, keep riding that wave :cool:

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
what about a product or something else you can sell on your website? Or an affiliate offer?

The original purpose for the channel was to build an audience to then show my app game trailers to and get downloads.
I've seriously slacked off on app development but at least the youtube channel found a little success for now.

This whole thread screams process and scale, and I love it! Holy shit. Seeing those YouTube numbers, the millions of views, the ten thousands of subscribers, and the hundred thousand percentage rise in views, is such an awesome real life showcase of scale and what's possible, that it's just freakin awesome :)
Thanks, honestly i just forgot all about growth after few years and had zero expectations. I just tried to make gameplay videos to improve my editing skills and hope for the best.
Finally got lucky with one.

I was going to post my comment regarding to your first posts, but then I saw this:

Congrats for the massive improvement! :)

I agree with others, you've put the work (process) and now you are starting to get rewards (events). 100 videos is A LOT, I admire your persistence instead of giving up after the first 50. Noted.

BTW now you know better what works and what not, I can only see more hits like this one in the future ;) I'm very happy for you.

Persistence is key i guess, like in unscripted you gotta play the gumball machine.

I watched the video. Well, its not about algorithm or lucky chance. Your game play technique really is very good and unique. People who are competing needed something like that. Hence your video went viral.

Now you can search for some other trending games, play and find some unique or gracious techniques to pull the WIN, Record and get Lucky every time!

You can ride the momentum buddy.

I think the game paper.io 2 was sort of popular on google trends but i sure didn't check that before making the video. I was just randomly playing the game for fun and then it popped into my head to beat it the way i did in the video and when it actually frickin worked i was like "this would be a dope video" lol
i've been playing other io games, but man it takes MANY hours to create some good footage, ive had to play 8 hours nonstop for some of my newer videos lol

BTW, @Roli gave me an idea. Here is one quite famous game dev youtuber in the indie game dev community who explains the money he makes on youtube and other things (spoiler: patreon, as other people have mentioned). The first few minutes are about youtube. Not sure it'll be useful for you, as it's a bit different niche (same industry though), but worth trying:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOeKHs7PSUo
good video.
I make games too actually, and was thinking of making some tutorials maybe, we'll see.
Patreon though i wanna avoid cause i like the no pressure of making vids when i feel like it, instead of being obligated to my donaters.

Wow. Congrats. I read the thread from the beginning.

I’m curious if you can piggyback off other people’s videos with huge view counts? How can your video become the top suggested video that automatically plays after theirs?
Marked notable at least. ( @MJ DeMarco )

It does happen, in youtube analytics there's a whole page just for that info, i took screenshots for you.
Since youtube is owned by google you know they're gonna have some detailed analytics info.
The "Suggested Videos" traffic source are piggybacks off other peoples videos.
Capture1.PNG
Capture.PNG

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Try and daisy chain your videos too? So the viral one leads to another one, leads to another one, etc. If you get folks to binge watch your channel then the YT algo should notice.

(Ahem... this is all theory to me - I've not implemented yet.)

That's exactly what i did in a loop, i even made a little notepad notes to keep track:
The left video goes to the right video, bottom to top

Paper.io 2 HOW TO WIN! Paper.io 2 INSTANT WIN!
Agar.io IS BROKEN! (CHEAP TEAMS) Paper.io 2 HOW TO WIN!
Paper.io 2 | Giant Pizza Slices 100% Agar.io IS BROKEN! (CHEAP TEAMS)
Hole.io 41 KILLS! Paper.io 2 | Giant Pizza Slices 100%
Agar.io THIS IS MADNESS!!! Hole.io 41 KILLS!
Agar.io Battle Royal WIN! Agar.io THIS IS MADNESS!!!
Paper.io 2 INSTANT WIN! Agar.io Battle Royal WIN!

I think the majority of traffic dies down by the third video
so far none of my new ones went viral like the original but its ok, based on analytics they do get suggested a tiny bit so i am getting little bits of traffic to them.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.