The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

One "Level" Up Rule - How to find a prof. niche

Tomas J

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
97%
Sep 11, 2018
After reading both TMF and UNSCRIPTED I was thinking a lot about various business ideas and I noticed a quite interesting thing.

Right now I am just starting my first business, so that's not based on any experience, it's just an idea I would like to discuss with some of you more experienced.

One "Level" Up Rule
Start in the area that interests you, ideally, it should be something that you are quite experienced with, let's presume that it is programming. Now, doing programming is more and more competitive so you would have a hard time to compete with others, but you can use this fact (there is a lot of programmers) as an advantage and provide some product/service for programmers. Basically, you go just one level up; you just look from a bigger perspective.

One other example can be Amazon FBA. You can start an FBA business and make money but you will have quite a hard time as it gets more and more competitive, but if you, once again, go just one level up you realize that can sell some software for FBA businesses (some tracks, chatbots etc.).

Of course, that rule doesn't stand alone, you always need to solve a real problem to create a profitable business, but I think that is a good "rule" you can apply to get a bigger perspective.

It can be applied as many times as you find reasonable - maybe you can solve some need of people who provide FBA sellers with software and so on...

This rule is definitely not a substitute for common sense etc. it's just something that can help you if you feel lost - always start with something you are familiar with and go one (or more?) level up.

I would be grateful for any reaction on this thread.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Your "One "Level" Up Rule" has been around for a long time and is called 'selling shovels'. Taken from the California Gold Rush days where only a few prospectors struck it rich. However most of the people who made money back then were those who sold shovels, pans, picks, axes, jeans, tents etc. to the multitude of prospectors who turned up in their droves to chance their luck at striking gold.

There are many modern day equivalents, one is 'guru's' selling courses on building an Amazon FBA or Shopify store.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.