The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

On what platform should I sell online products?

Arima

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Apr 25, 2015
I want to create a platform where I can sell online products like an E-Book. But should I first start with a ''free'' blog? And transcend that to a monetize website when I have traffic. Or should I buy a website from Flippa and monetize it and make my own blog out of it? I really have no clue on how to do this.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
What research have you done?

Millenial_Kid5K1

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Feb 14, 2017
Atlanta
I want to create a platform where I can sell online products like an E-Book. But should I first start with a ''free'' blog? And transcend that to a monetize website when I have traffic. Or should I buy a website from Flippa and monetize it and make my own blog out of it? I really have no clue on how to do this.
Don't put the cart before the horse. A blog is a good supplement if you already have a product that is filling a need, but it's a terrible way to start a business.

Many on here have done well selling both books and physical products on Amazon; you have to give up some control, but it comes with a much larger initial audience. You can transition away once you have a customer base.

Do you have a specific need you're looking to fill? Have you validated it against the marketmind? If not I'd definitely recommend reading UNSCRIPTED to see what I'm talking about. The main thing is to provide value, everything else can come after.

GoranS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
134%
Sep 24, 2016
Croatia
What exactly is your product and what problem are you solving? An ebook, a platform to sell ebooks or a blog? When you know what you want to accomplish steps to doing will become clear. Don't look too far ahead.

Empires

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Jan 12, 2016
Planet Earth
You're looking at this backwards.

You don't seek out to write an e-book or start a blog.

You seek out problems to solve, and if an e-book or blog is the solution, then it can be a good idea.

Starting a blog for the sake of starting of a blog just makes you part of the other 40 million blogs and ebooks that already exist.

Gigi Rodgers

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
327%
May 30, 2017
Shanghai, China

Pull the reins in there, cowboy.
You're overthinking this.

If you want to sell products online - sell products online.
You have a couple of choices - and I talk about this a lot - you could:
  • flip items you find at thrift stores and sell them online (see Gary Vaynerchuk and the 2017 $20,170 Flip Challenge) on Ebay or Craigslist (no website required - traffic needed)
  • You could do dropshipping with a product you really dig - like Neville Medhora did - just start an online store on Shopify, Strikingly, or WP (and then build the traffic from there - either using a blog or FB advertising).
  • You could be a part of an affiliate program (again, blog and FB advertising).
But let's say that you want to sell an E-book.
An E-book in what? What's your area of expertise that you feel like you could do a DEEP DIVE into the subject?
And, of course, who is the audience and do they ACTUALLY want this?

Let's say that you are KILLING IT on Musical.ly, the app.
And you're considered a "Transitions King or Queen". And you were going to write an ebook, or create a video course, on how to do ALL the transitions you do that gets you SO MANY views on Musical.ly.
That's a worthwhile ebook/video series that is of value to the Musical.ly community.

If you are teaching others, from your experiences, on:
  • how to rebuild your carburetor on a '66 Barracuda
  • how to control your stutter when giving a public speech
  • how to handle rejection
  • how to do transitions on Musical.ly
Et cetera, then not only have it as an ebook - but have the proof in the pudding in your personal blog as well.
People love "trust elements" - and if this is your subject, this is your THING that you talk about day in and day out - yeah, sell your expertise.

But pick one and start. You don't need Flippa. Just do and adjust.
Get better at it every single day.
Talk to your audience. See what they like (which you could put in your sales copy) and want more of (which you could build for them down the line).
But stop over thinking it.
And start.

I'd honestly say start with the flip challenge, because it's just so fuqin' easy to do, with next to NO startup costs.
Learn from THAT (and there is a LOT to learn, i.e., writing sales copy, pricing, negotiating, knowing when to walk away, etc) and grow them there.

Alexlewter

Banned - Plaguriser
Jun 6, 2017
Garden city
For a beginner level Amazon is the best nothing batter. But if you do have some internet marketing knowledge and know how to drive traffic to and promote your site then you can't beat shopify. It depends on you. Amazon has a lot of competition and you still have to understand how to leverage the amazon rating system and algorithm to have your listings show up on the first page. But on amazon India it doesn't really seam like anyone but maybe 1 out 1000 know what they are really doing and it is very easy to make money on if you spend a week or 2 to learn before you jump in..

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.