The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Okay, I admit it...like 99% of dreamers..I'm just a WANTrepreneur

Seth818

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Mar 11, 2012
We all have dreams and aspirations, right? We all have desires, goals, whatever you want to call it but few of us, particularly when it comes to business, ever achieve them. I constantly indulge myself in knowledge, I've read practically every business and self-help book out there, I know so many stories inside out, I've seen the patterns that both successful people used and what they advocated to avoid.

But I just can't get started...and I have no idea why.

What I'm looking for is advice, not business advice, but advice on how to stop this dangerous inertia that will ultimately be the #1 reason I accomplish nothing. Why does my mind do this? I feel like I have the confidence to start something but never do? Am I just lazy? Am I subconsciously insecure? Not to mention, almost every book I've read mentioned how they [the successful entrepreneurs] had started businesses as kids (like a lemonade stand), that was never me! I was the want-to-do kid, not the tried-and-failed-but-at-least-tried kid.

So my question is...is there anyone here (or an entrepreneur you've heard of) that got themselves out of this rut, this "feeling stuck" rut where they JUST GOT STARTED? Where they stopped talking about their goals and actually got to work? Where they started and didn't give up 3 days in? I need help...

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Runum

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Aug 8, 2007
DFW, Texas
Welcome to the fastlane. Inertia is an issue we all have to deal with at some point in our lives.

My guess would be, right now, your comfort level is more than your desire. Or your current level of success is worth a lot to you so you have a fear of losing what you have.

I think we all have to distinguish the difference between what we REALLY want and what just sounds good.

I also think that it is funny how the very comfort we all work so hard for is exactly what slows us down from creating more and attaining higher goals.

Good luck

^eagle^

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 17, 2008
Florida
This is the area that is hardest to start. In School we learn that failure is bad. F's are bad. So we avoid them. This was a big stumbling block for me because I hated Failure. I would get very upset if I got anything less than a B. So School teaches us to prepare to get that A. IN the entrpeneural world Failure is the sweat of success. If that is so Then I am sweating buckets. Funny thing is IM still scared to fail. Right now I have a great opportunity coming my way. It lines up perfectly with my experience and my last endeavor. Yet Im still scared. My comfort level is to ease in to it. But I dont think I am going to be able to Ease into this. It may be a balls out endeavor. I am going to meet with a couple of potential partners in about an hour and Im scared shitless. But Entrepeneurs know they cant prepare for everything and accept it. Im doing my best to prepare which school has taught me but Im still scared.

Feel the fear and do it anyway?

AcquireCurrency

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
121%
Jul 20, 2011
I "suffer" from this problem too. I feel overwhelmed at times and can't decide on which ideas to pursue and invest in etc.

Two weeks ago I joined an Internet Marketing skype group (yes, I hate Internet Marketing), and we are already making $200+ a day together, and it's 95% passive.

On my own it would have taken me months/years to achieve this. It would be cool if some of us fastlaners could join up and brainstorm, chat, help eachother etc.

DavLung

Really Fast Tricycle
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jan 4, 2012
California
Hi, I'm not sure what your situation is but if your in a ok state meaning that it doesn't suck but it's not great either it's hard to get started, I know. But say, if someone points a gun at you and tells you to start, I bet you will. There is too much pain linked to starting currently. Try reading Anthony Robbins, if you havn't already. Link pleasure to working and pain to not doing anything. MJ moved out with $900 bucks in his pocket... he HAD to make it, there was no other way.

I thought this was an interesting thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/general-business-discussion/27680-making-while-living-home.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Thrive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
60%
Nov 2, 2011
San Antonio, TX
When a rocket is sent on a mission to space, half of the rocket fuel is used to lift it 2 inches. The rest can take it all the way to the moon.
I think this can also apply with starting things. A huge amount of energy is used to break inertia but then you can ride on the momentum of that first action for a long, long way.
Stop doing nothing and start focusing on that first step, however small it may be.
Something I do and you could to is to write down a list of small (small) actions you can take to get moving. It helps to organize your thoughts and motivates you.

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,185%
Jun 8, 2010
California
The problem is that you're too comfortable with where you currently are. If you want to get that motivation to constantly move fast try to put yourself in a position in which the consequences of failure are so dire and unthinkable that you have no other choice, but to succeed. Cut off all the exit ramps, good sir.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
Yeah Perhaps I could be of some help as I may have broken through this kind of rut recently:

I have always been a very ambitious kind of guy but I talked a lot without putting in enough action. This has led me to fail at many things and quit right when I started getting good. (I.E. bodybuilding, picking up girls, being an awesome student, even had meetings with friends about businesses we wanted to start)

I would go and read everything on the topic and get super excited and tell everyone everything I learned etc etc. Big mistake.

Not everyone will have your drive or your passion to succeed. In fact 99% of people will be downers and ruin your parade. That being said, even if they are excited, if they don't make you step up then they are even worse to have around. You just sit there and mentally masturbate with each other.

So, what exactly does it take than to get you out of that rut? Too be honest a whole lot and then some. I had been reading Tony robbins, 7 habits, Trump etc etc for a while... and even though I got excited after every read, it never led me to action(yet). I will say that book after book kept implementing the mindset and the need though. So the need grew bigger.

The mindset is important but you will need to be in huge discomfort.

For me In December I had all kinds of health issues, I was burned out, no energy and I started caring less and less about the "friends I had". I started to realize that most of them really aren't my friends and that their mindset is poisonous(I knew it before, but I still convinced myself that it's OK to still see them once in a while). WRONG! It is not ok.

All this discomfort, uncertainty and risk will have to be present in order to kick start you engine. I decided that I will have financial freedom or I would die, because there is no going back from what I know. It is just not worth it otherwise.

So here are the types of questions to look out for, that will show you whether you are seriously considering this or not:

- NBA game at 7:00PM, you had a long day, do you "relax for a bit because you deserved it"? If YES you are done. ( I made this mistake for years)

- Can't wait for your favourite show to air the next episode so you can "get away from it all for a lil while"? If YES you are done.

- Your sister is Visiting from Chicago, she is at your place for 2 weeks, do you spend the whole 2 weeks spending time with her out of principle and respect? If YES you are done. (You have to show everyone including your family that you have your priorities, and that they cannot step over you) If you are scared of this, unfortunately you are done.

- When going to school/work you care how your hair,shoes,jacket etc etc looks. You are done if this is the case. (This shows that you are probably still socially conditioned and it will be hard to change)

- When someone of perceived authority tells you something, do you question them? If not, you are done. People of perceived authority are only the authority to those who choose them to be. Bad advice is just bad advice, if you don't do your own due diligence or can't even think this through, then the world still has a strangle hold on you.

All of this I had to breakthrough myself ... and it wasn't easy. If you feel comfortable or in control, you are not growing.

You can't allow even an ounce of so called "noise" as MJ calls it in his book to affect you. Yes that means that every second of your day you have to conciously fight everyone and everything around you.

For example:

- You have to travel with the subway for the time being. OK, do you bitch and complain while sucking on 4 liters of coffee trying to wake up, OR are you reading a book.

Can't get a seat, are you standing and reading? Why not? Is your excuse that you will feel sick, people will complain, it's uncomfortable etc etc?

Say you have to walk to the subway/bus stop, on the walk there are you asking yourself how to utilize your time better while on the walk there? Do you listen to audio tapes while walking to the bus stop or is that "too much of a hassle"?

Another example:

- You are part of a great Fantasy Baseball league that has 12 of your high school buddies who are all jokers that have been part of your social group for a while.

If these guys just waist their time on baseball stats and "joking around" then they are not part of your plan to financial freedom.

(I recently quit my league and everyone was calling me left right and center to re-join, telling me how it will never be the same without me etc etc....

Did I let my Ego get in the way? No I thought it through for 3 seconds and I told them that there is no return for me ever.)

If the above examples seems extreme, then you are probably not there yet. Things like that shouldn't be a nuisance, rather they should be your thought process.

I have gone through this numerous times. But you Just HAVE TO cut out the noise... all of it. Nothing can be the exception.

Here Is some things to implement:

- Cut out everyone who won't help you get there
- Get really out of your comfort zone (try to reach someone that is in the business you would like to get into)
- When doing anything or making any decision, always ask "Is this going to be the best use of my time?"

MOST IMPORTANTLY:

DISAPPOINT EVERYONE ELSE FIRST, DISAPPOINT YOURSELF LAST - ALWAYS

If you want to run through any of this stuff with me I am all ears.

Just PM me and we can link up on Skype :)

Cheers, Hope that helped a bit

The Truth Has Spoken :coolgleamA:

GUTTA BOB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 11, 2012
This morning I was going to make a post exactly about this topic. Thanks OP I guess the full moon is bringing out the crasies.

@TheTruth very good insight man thanks.

Right now I'm going through some confusion. I'm working as an accountant and studying for the CPA exam.
I discovered MJ's book recently and it really got me thinking as to if I'm wasting my time/energy pursuing this certificate.
The CPA will be able to open a lot of doors of employment for me. It will give the employer and their clients a higher perceived value of me.
I wouldn't need a CPA if I was working for myself. My current job doesn't require it neither.

I already invested about 1k or so into study programs. And I'm fairly confident I'll be able to pass 2 parts this coming May.
I don't know if I should walk away completely and start focusing on fastlane or just take the exams as I've already invested.
If someone can offer some insight on what they would do I'll appreciate it I'm all ears. Btw, I only study 2 hours a night and spend another 2-3 hours thinking/reading/formulating my fastlane projects/ideas.

Okay so back on topic, like the OP I have very little direction where I want to start creating wealth. I have this motivation from reading MJ's and whoever's books but then where do I go from here? I've already started to read a bunch about internet marketing and MJ does put emphasis on the internet as the easiest forum to get rich so I just started reading about affiliated marketing and building websites. I was also looking into real estate rentals but it seems like entry is costly and I don't have the capital at the moment. Also, usually while driving to work, I'm constantly thinking about what products/service I can offer to the market mostly dumb ideas though. Another thought I have while working is... is there a way or a system I can create to improve my company's accounting dept. and how can I make the system produce passive income. My mind hasn't stopped thinking ever since the book but man If I could focus my attention to one thing and just be confident it will work I feel I could do wonders. Still feeling lost though.

srjjames

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Feb 24, 2012
I would say....take the exams. You have already paid for them. Then again....I'm in the Slow Lane...trying to move over into the fast lane. I feel the same away as all you feel. Since reading MJ's book, I'm trying to see what is there a need for. I'm a full-time teacher during the day, and on the side I'm a notary, bailsbondsman, paralegal, and I do judgment recovery. Yes, all these jobs and still in the slow lane and broke. The things I want to start the market is saturated with them....but I feel I would be successful with them, but not sure how to make it passive. I would have to do the work daily.

GUTTA BOB

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Mar 11, 2012
@srjjames, I was just reading MJ's "Find your Open Road". If you work that many jobs there has to be some type of small fastlane opportunity there. Although MJ advocates staying away from saturated markets... maybe a niche market can be developed.

And yeah I think I'm just going to continue studying for the CPA. I remembered MJ talking about the importance of financial literacy in his book and studying for the exams is really forcing me to really understand the financial concepts on a deeper level. It might be taking away time from my fastlane project but it will definitely pay dividends later down the road.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale
@TheTruth very good insight man thanks.

Can't say that you are welcome... considering this guy never came back to the forum and I even shared my 15 page personal notes with him.

My post was liked so it brought me back to this thread.

Now the good part is that someone found value and was grateful for the advice given within the thread.

The bad part is that more often then not, guys like BOB show up and waste other peoples time.

One of the greatest lessons I learned from 2012 was this: You will look like an idiot from time to time. Now after being an idiot, if you give up, then the life you dreamed of is over. However, if you come back and talk about the lessons learned and try again, people will respect you more... why?

It's simple, the most successful people know that you have to repeat the process of idiot->lesson learned->idiot->lesson learned... to finally get "not-idiot"-> fastlane success.

Lights

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Apr 13, 2011
On the Internet
It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it.

~ League of their own

[video=youtube;ndL7y0MIRE4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndL7y0MIRE4[/video]

Hans im Glueck

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 15, 2013
Amsterdam
This sounds a lot like analysis paralysis. You've read all those books and think you know what to do, but you don't want to be proven wrong. What you need is momentum. More doing less thinking. Worrying about the million things you will eventually have to do will only make it worse. Clear your head, figure out the first step (any first step, don't worry if it's the 'correct' first step) and focus on nothing but that.

Also talking about your goals gives you the illusion of progress. Set small goals and talk about them AFTER you achieved them.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Where they started and didn't give up 3 days in?
Okay, I admit it...like 99% of dreamers..I'm just a WANTrepreneur

LOL.

Anyone else see the congruency?

Despite some great responses, the author is One post and gone.

Certainly sounds "wantrepreneurish" to me!

Look no further to this thread for your answer. Or, read page 22 of TMF . After doing that, reread it again.

onialex1

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
59%
Oct 8, 2012
Baltimore MD

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
We all want to succeed, comfortably - to have enough and just kind of "make it" from there. No one wants to think that making it is running from the continuous fall, because there is no safety net. The further you run, the more effort you've expanded, the better off you are. But in the end, the point is to run run run run run. (well, drive in this forum :))

G

GuestUser8117

I believe the average human being is lazy. I too have read excellent books such as awaken the giant within and the millionaire fastlane , but I've never really pulled the trigger. The fastlane requires extreme discipline, willpower, motivation and pure commitment.

TheTruth

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
292%
Feb 13, 2012
Toronto/Scottsdale

Halffull

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
49%
Oct 25, 2012
I find it really interesting that everybody is recommending putting a lot of pressure on taking action and making it a life or death thing.

I've found overwhelming that for me, the best thing to do is to remove the pressure, and simply say, "I can take one small step, all I have to do is start". You're thinking about "starting a company" and "possibly failing big" and all these things that aren't really related to what actually needs to be done. Take a deep breath, focus on what it takes to start, and just do that.

Then, do it again. I've found that if I can just manage to keep starting, projects eventually pull themselves into place.

Edit:
Point #2 that really helped me.

Quit telling people about the results you're going to get. It's just as useless as worrying about the failures you'll have. What it does psychologically is have them give you validation for NOT taking action.

Instead, tell people about
1. What you've already done.
2. The immediate next steps you'll take.

Even that should be done sparingly. It should be 98% reserved for business partners, accountability buddies, and close friends and family(Only the ones that you have asked to hold you accountable and know will follow through on doing so... NOT your parents.)

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
We all have dreams and aspirations, right? We all have desires, goals, whatever you want to call it but few of us, particularly when it comes to business, ever achieve them. I constantly indulge myself in knowledge, I've read practically every business and self-help book out there, I know so many stories inside out, I've seen the patterns that both successful people used and what they advocated to avoid.

What I'm looking for is advice, not business advice, but advice on how to stop this dangerous inertia that will ultimately be the #1 reason I accomplish nothing. Why does my mind do this? I feel like I have the confidence to start something but never do? Am I just lazy? Am I subconsciously insecure? Not to mention, almost every book I've read mentioned how they [the successful entrepreneurs] had started businesses as kids (like a lemonade stand), that was never me! I was the want-to-do kid, not the tried-and-failed-but-at-least-tried kid.

So my question is...is there anyone here (or an entrepreneur you've heard of) that got themselves out of this rut, this "feeling stuck" rut where they JUST GOT STARTED? Where they stopped talking about their goals and actually got to work? Where they started and didn't give up 3 days in? I need help...

Posters like this guy are a dime a dozen. No doubt this post was as a result of his new year's resolution. Also no doubt he never did a damn thing. In the year+ that I have been here, I have seen dozens of posts like him.

I will give you a second category of action fakers. People that have been here longer than I have... maybe with hundreds of posts behind their name, that still aren't doing anything. Hanging out here as if the successes of people like MJ or Z will come to them through osmosis.

I am happy that in my life I tried, and failed. My wife and I were talking last night about one of my biggest colossal failures. She actually said she was GLAD that it happened, as it caused us to learn how to insulate ourselves. It took us both a LONG time to ever come to a place where we could say that --- scars hurt. Maybe wounds heal, and the scar area becomes tougher skin.

If you are reading this post, sure to be lost to the ash heap of history as the OP was not important enough to remember...

What about you? Are you like him? Are you in the game? Are you doing something to change your future?

There is no blueprint at this site. There's an outline in the book The Millionaire Fast Lane that will get you started on how to think differently... but unless you plan to start a limo aggregation .com company, there's no business plan in the book.

CENTS
Need, Entry, Control, Scale and Time

There was a story posted here about some ladies that started zip cars with a few hundred bucks. Just sold it for $500m. Done. Cashed out. Seed money is NOT the reason you're not successful. Stop making excuses. Shit or get off the pot.

I was watching a guy clean the pool at the beach house we were staying at. The owner of this house pays this guy $15 an hour to do maintenance. Is that you? Are you working with your hands for a hourly wage? I spent a few hours off and on talking with this guy. At a minimum, he needs people working for him making $10 an hour so he can take on 80 houses. If he wants to be in the pool cleaning business, be the biggest pool cleaning pro in the game. Have neighbors referring you, and a waiting list for your services. Glass eye stare. Too hard. Too beyond his day. He asks himself what he is doing wrong, as he works hard. I know this because he asked me. The guy works harder than I do. If I came back here 5 years from now, he's still be cleaning someone else's pool.

What about you?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
There was a story posted here about some ladies that started zip cars with a few hundred bucks. Just sold it for $500m. Done. Cashed out. Seed money is NOT the reason you're not successful. Stop making excuses. Shit or get off the pot.

As far as I remember they got a seed investment from their wealthy friends and family.. The title of the article was misleading. But your argument still holds true.

Edit: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Vigilante again. :/

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Seth, I am in the same boat. I just cant take that first step.. Need someone to hold my hands! . Please read my previous post. "Scared to start alone". .

So what is your first step?

Sue

Tommy92l

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
74%
Aug 20, 2012
This sounds a lot like analysis paralysis. You've read all those books and think you know what to do, but you don't want to be proven wrong. What you need is momentum. More doing less thinking. Worrying about the million things you will eventually have to do will only make it worse. Clear your head, figure out the first step (any first step, don't worry if it's the 'correct' first step) and focus on nothing but that.

Also talking about your goals gives you the illusion of progress. Set small goals and talk about them AFTER you achieved them.

Spot on with everything you have said. I noticed that when I achieved more goals, and made more things happened, my mouth suddenly stopped being so active. I simply did, and didn't think about what I would tell people anymore. Lately it has just been video after video for me (My youtube venture), and I have become addicted to "working". When I think about if my videos will take off or if they will just be mediocre and sink to the bottom, I get really antsy and begin to overthink, which is NEVER good. Instead, I aim for the highest quality, please my fans, and work hard... the progress between what I am doing now, and what I was doing when I was chasing money is worlds a part. The only upsetting thing is knowing how much time I wasted chasing it.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.