The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Oh no, another one! I quit my job thread

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Valsore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 5, 2015
What's up guys.

I've been dabbling in online business. Made some money from an online divorce business. Got one online marketing client.

But now it's time to go big.

My last day at my job was 2 weeks ago. I moved back home where I have no expenses. And I'm working with another forum member, whereas I sell websites and online marketing services and get 30% commision.

My goal: Become an amazing sales person, improve my online marketing skills to an expert level, make 8,000 euros per month

Deadline: February 18,2018

How: 20-50 dials every single week day, 1 hour of sales material reading/listening per day(plus taking notes), 40 minutes of online marketing reading per day(eg; Ad Espresso for FB Ads, Wordstream for SEO), do all my follow ups, reflect and learn from my actions

Books I've read/am reading right now: Secrets of closing the sale- Grant Cardone, SPIN Selling, No Excuses - Brian Tracy.

I will post my results and what I've learned at the end of each week. Plus my goals for the next week.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Valsore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 5, 2015
I've updated the challenge to my "1000 Call Challenge".

I will be doing 1000 cold calls(50 every week day), documenting what I'm learning a long the way, and hopefully sell some online marketing services.

First 50 Calls- 1 appointment set, 1 "send me your details" response
Althought I've been doing calls before, I officially started the challenge on October 13, 2017. The first day where I actually managed to do 50 calls!

Problem #1
Since I live in Europe and I'm calling the States, later on in the day my willpower is lower when I'm doing my actual calls. (Your willpower every day is a depleting resource, that's why you should do big tasks in the morning, there's a book on this, forgot the name)
I would tell myself that I would do 50 calls, however before every call I would have to do some mini research to find the name and number of the person to call. This was tiresome, and mundane, and after 10 calls I would come up with some bullshit excuse to stop.

Solution
This day I was determined to do my 50 calls. I did all the preliminary research, what I needed was the name of the decision maker, the location of the business, and quick 1/2 words on what the business is doing poorly in(eg: mobile for mobile optimization, social for social media etc.)
I then set up these 50 tasks in Hubsot and I created a queue, this enabled me to have all the info I needed when making each individual call, and I could go from one task to the next with 1 click. It made it much more efficient, and I could start getting some momentum in my calling, not having to stop 30-60 seconds between calls to find basic info.

This solution worked, I built up some momentum, and I was able to finish my 50 calls!

Problem #2

Was mostly getting voicemail, but when I got to the decision maker, was getting straight no's. One guy even told me to "stop F*cking calling me".
Although I had been using the exact same pitch in the previous weeks and setting appointments with it, today for some reason it wasn't working.

Solution
I realised that I was saying the exact same thing with the exact same tonality every single time. I feel that the prospects could sense that I was a "typical salesman". So what I started doing was this, I stopped trying to talk perfectly and I began to talk more like how I normally talk in conversation. For example I would say something like "I just found you on x, and basically I'm calling because I help blablabl". I would also make a slight joke here and there where I felt like it, and overall my reactions from prospects started getting way better, even if they weren't interested.

They get cold called every day from robot people in a cubicle who say the exact same thing to people while going through some names and numbers in a list. So in the call if you say something specifically relevant to the company, and they sense that you're just a regular person trying to create a win-win, situation, they open up and it's much more effective.

At the end, on the last call of the day, I managed to get an appointment with a garden shop. (Some backstory, I had called them a few weeks ago when the hurricane was reaching florida, and they said they can't talk because they have to prepare for a hurricane) As an example of being more authentic this is what I said"Hey X, this is Y, I'm that genious who tried to talk to you about your website while you were in the middle of a hurricane...:p"

TL;DR i)Build a system which enables you to save willpower for when you really need it.
ii) Be more authentic and genuine

Valsore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 5, 2015
November 6,2017

10 More Cold Calls, 3 Follow Ups- 2 Appointments Set

Yesterday I managed to set up 2 appointments. I've realized that people really can tell by your voice whether you've genuinely took the time to look at their page and whether you can actually help them. When I was pushing myself to do 50 cold calls, I was very mechanical and I didn't really have time to check out each company individually, as a result I was coming across as inauthentic and robotic, because I was just focused on speed in order to complete my 50 calls. The result? I ended up getting a lot of people hanging up.

Stay tuned for my results and my learnings from my calls today!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Change your metric from number of calls a day to number of appointments / follow ups.
Then you will spend the time to research and to chase those that you can provide value.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Change your metric from number of calls a day to number of appointments / follow ups.
Then you will spend the time to research and to chase those that you can provide value.

Yeah, this is a better approach - it's results focused, not activity focused.

Or do a hybrid:

- 1 appointment per day, minimum, AND
- 50 calls per day, minimum, AND
- Keep going until 5pm every day.

That way if you hit your appointment in the first call, you still have 49 calls to make. And if you hit 49 calls at 2pm, you still have 3 more hours.

Valsore

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Oct 5, 2015
I see your points, but then wouldn't I be outcome dependent? Which could affect my performance in the calls?

November 7,2017
10 Cold Calls

I couldn't reach any decision makers this day, either went to voicemail or I left a live message.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.