The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Occupancy vs. Price

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
It is a common belief that the higher your occupation rate, the better (unless you are bargain shopping :banana: )

97% occupied means more money in your pocket than 90% occupied, right?

Not necessarily.

The numbers below are based on self - storage. The column on the left shows a "base price" that will yield the average occupancy rate for our area. The column on the right shows a 10% increase in rent - and a lower occupancy rate. Look what happens to the bottom line.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
You have hit on a major key point. There are many people in the business of rentals that don't even understand this. I have seen people proudly boast that they have 100% occupancy with a waiting list. That is upside my friend.

The math is the driver of the entire process. Find a property that is not maximizing the income. Increase the bottom line. Sell!!!

Thanks for an excellent post ATW.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
97% occupied means more money in your pocket than 90% occupied, right?

Not necessarily.

97% is better than 90% if the prices are the same (call me Captain Obvious). The ideal way is to find the best balance for making the most money, which I think you've nailed with this simple example.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
97% is better than 90% if the prices are the same (call me Captain Obvious). The ideal way is to find the best balance for making the most money, which I think you've nailed with this simple example.

Exactly!

As your price goes up, however... eventually your occupancy will begin to go down.

It is striking that balance between occupancy and price that brings you your highest yield.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I have seen people proudly boast that they have 100% occupancy with a waiting list.

Isn't there an old saying, that if you're 100% occupied, you're prices are too low.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Sounds about right, biophase. As a manager, it's nice to not have a lot of turnover though. This makes me realize that I should be increasing rental prices more aggressively.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds about right, biophase. As a manager, it's nice to not have a lot of turnover though. This makes me realize that I should be increasing rental prices more aggressively.

It is nice to have long term tenants. But we all know that our goal is to increase value not to be nice to the tenants.

I find this the most amusing thing about for sale posts on 4-10 units. They all say, long term tenants! rents below market! as if they are great selling points.

AroundTheWorld

Be in the Moment
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Jul 24, 2007
I find this the most amusing thing about for sale posts on 4-10 units. They all say, long term tenants! rents below market! as if they are great selling points.

Yes.... but consider the audience. I sapose an ad like that works for lots of folks - Heck it works for me if they are selling at a low or reasonable price for their NOI. I see an opp. for adding value.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
They all say, long term tenants! rents below market! as if they are great selling points.

Actually it is a great selling point... unless the seller is trying to use proforma rents in the sales numbers. If you can get it based on current income, then there may be some opportunity.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think is key to find the price point where a current tenant accepts the rent increase instead of looking for a new place.

If I am renting a place and paying $750 a month, and the property has improved since I moved in, I probably will not look for a new place if the rent increases a 3% ($750 x 3% = $22.50). I wouldn't want to move out of a place that is improving for 'just' twenty bucks more a month (in any case, moving is too expensive).

Bio, Yes, increasing value is key if your current strategy is to increase value and cash out. I've know people that prefer to have below-market rents as their current strategy is to cash flow from it and don't mind to sacrifice a little rent income in exchange of a more stable set of tenants.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
I've know people that prefer to have below-market rents as their current strategy is to cash flow from it and don't mind to sacrifice a little rent income in exchange of a more stable set of tenants.

I'm fine with that. My issue is that when it's time to sell, they say long term tenants and then they say rents under market. Then they list proforma rents on the listing and ask a price according to proforma. You can't have it all ways.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.