• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Real Estate Occupancy vs. Price

Discussion in 'Real Estate Investing' started by AroundTheWorld, Aug 28, 2007.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Be in the Moment Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,725
    It is a common belief that the higher your occupation rate, the better (unless you are bargain shopping :banana: )

97% occupied means more money in your pocket than 90% occupied, right?

Not necessarily.

The numbers below are based on self - storage. The column on the left shows a "base price" that will yield the average occupancy rate for our area. The column on the right shows a 10% increase in rent - and a lower occupancy rate. Look what happens to the bottom line.

SteveO likes this.
  2. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $93,273
    You have hit on a major key point. There are many people in the business of rentals that don't even understand this. I have seen people proudly boast that they have 100% occupancy with a waiting list. That is upside my friend.

The math is the driver of the entire process. Find a property that is not maximizing the income. Increase the bottom line. Sell!!!

Thanks for an excellent post ATW.

3. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102

97% is better than 90% if the prices are the same (call me Captain Obvious). The ideal way is to find the best balance for making the most money, which I think you've nailed with this simple example.

4. AroundTheWorld

Rep Bank:
    $4,725

Exactly!

As your price goes up, however... eventually your occupancy will begin to go down.

It is striking that balance between occupancy and price that brings you your highest yield.

5. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,314
    Isn't there an old saying, that if you're 100% occupied, you're prices are too low.

6. JesseO

JesseO Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $102
    Sounds about right, biophase. As a manager, it's nice to not have a lot of turnover though. This makes me realize that I should be increasing rental prices more aggressively.

7. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $182,314
    It is nice to have long term tenants. But we all know that our goal is to increase value not to be nice to the tenants.

I find this the most amusing thing about for sale posts on 4-10 units. They all say, long term tenants! rents below market! as if they are great selling points.

8. AroundTheWorld

Rep Bank:
    $4,725
    Yes.... but consider the audience. I sapose an ad like that works for lots of folks - Heck it works for me if they are selling at a low or reasonable price for their NOI. I see an opp. for adding value.

9. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $93,273
    Actually it is a great selling point... unless the seller is trying to use proforma rents in the sales numbers. If you can get it based on current income, then there may be some opportunity.

10. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $182,314
    Come on Steve, no seller would ever do that! :nono:

11. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,345
    I think is key to find the price point where a current tenant accepts the rent increase instead of looking for a new place.

If I am renting a place and paying $750 a month, and the property has improved since I moved in, I probably will not look for a new place if the rent increases a 3% ($750 x 3% = $22.50). I wouldn't want to move out of a place that is improving for 'just' twenty bucks more a month (in any case, moving is too expensive).

Bio, Yes, increasing value is key if your current strategy is to increase value and cash out. I've know people that prefer to have below-market rents as their current strategy is to cash flow from it and don't mind to sacrifice a little rent income in exchange of a more stable set of tenants.

12. biophase

Rep Bank:
    $182,314
    I'm fine with that. My issue is that when it's time to sell, they say long term tenants and then they say rents under market. Then they list proforma rents on the listing and ask a price according to proforma. You can't have it all ways.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.