The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Not your typical to code or not to code

TopProducer

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jan 15, 2017
New York
I have a number of phone app/SaaS ideas floating around my mind. The first one I want to focus on has the greatest market potential being that I am in the field, and there are no known apps that fill this space.

My question: I know from a business standpoint, my best bet to get an MVP to market is not to code, and outsource the work to get it to market quickest - has anyone ever used these online app-maker subscription programs to get the code written for their MVP?

The app itself will be on a month to month subscription basis. I found an app-maker company that allows you to own the source code that they develop, so if/when the app proves market viability, I am thinking of developing an optional back-end add on that I would then outsource to a larger development company if it is warranted. I have to shoestring due to a tight budget, and while I certainly have no issue learning to code (I am doing so, in fact), it is more to educate myself about the process so I don't sound like a complete a$$ when issues arise.

Does this sound like a viable idea? Is there a better way to go about it?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
Anytime you pay for code, you should own it all.

You need to get an MVP, as fast as you can on the devices you want to support. Get cash flowing, then pivot based on the feedback you get from real customers.

There are good coders at small companies and bad coders at big ones, so the size of your dev company does not assure you get a "better" programmer.

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada
I am a software developer, so maybe I can offer some help. Depending on the project and its scope, it may have an impact on how you approach this.

A major factor is the amount of money you have to spend. If you go for cheap software development, you're going to get garbage results. If the project is large, decent developer(s) will cost you a lot to get up and running (in which case it may be better to consider a developer partnership).

In any case, do not engage in arrangements in which you don't own the code. You want the ability to move to other development companies if you run into issues. Also, if your idea takes off and you hire a full-time developer, you will want to be able to take the code for them to work with.

If you would like, we can go over your idea and I can offer my recommendations. Feel free to PM me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

healthstatus

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
147%
Apr 11, 2011
Indianapolis, IN USA
If you go for cheap software development, you're going to get garbage results.
That is pure crap! Good programmers have to start somewhere and on the flip side I have seen really crappy coders with good communication skills and the nerve to ask for a lot of money get it, and turn out a project that looks like it came out of high school tech class. The mantra "it is more expensive it must be better" is not a good business decision.

Price is not the issue, it is checking their references, seeing how many people have used them multiple times. Seeing what project this programmer has worked on, not what project the "company" has done.

QueueQueue

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 12, 2016
Ontario, Canada
That is pure crap! Good programmers have to start somewhere and on the flip side I have seen really crappy coders with good communication skills and the nerve to ask for a lot of money get it, and turn out a project that looks like it came out of high school tech class. The mantra "it is more expensive it must be better" is not a good business decision.

I never claimed expensive = good results. I've seen (and have had to fix problems with) many multi-million dollar projects that were terribly implemented.

"Cheap" is relative. Without knowing the OPs budget and the scope of the project my point is still Valid. If you go to an actual development company, and say "Hey, I got $5k, can you build me [insert large scope project]", you're rarely ever going to get anyone experienced. People that have the experience to create good SasS applications won't be selling themselves that short, this would be working for minimum wage (or even less depending on the project size). People with established portfolios can get way more than that.

I have dealt with WAY too many instances in the industry of companies opting to save money by going cheaper routes only to be burned over and over. I have worked on a project with American Express and other lesser known multi-million dollar companies, in which they tried to outsource cheaper development to overseas firms for part of the project to mitigate cost to stay within budget, only to have to re-do all the work done by these firms and delaying the project by many many months.

I think there is just some confusion on our interpretation of "cheap", there are definite thresholds where a certain level of "cheap" is a huge red flag. If someone is SEVERELY under valuing their skill set, you must proceed with extreme caution.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.