The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

No Book for You! Soup Nazi Exposes Why Most Will Never...

Anything related to matters of the mind

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
I actually think you should give them away to those persons because they're the ones who would benefit the most from your book.

People who educate themselves regularly don't need a handout; we will happily pay $20 for the book.

However, the people you're referring to have been raised in a culture that DISCOURAGES self-education.
Three years ago I didn't read any self-education material (didn't even know that existed); if I met you I would've told you I don't read at all. And I'd probably have thought you were a heir or a lottery winner as well. :d
However, if you told me why it's important to educate myself it would have changed my mindset entirely.

The whole point of your book is to change people's perceptions about wealth, isn't it ? What if you, a very wealthy businessman, told those 'nonreaders' about how self-education played a large role in your success ? As someone who drives a Lamborghini, your credibility is huge. Hell, people are ASKING you how you got so rich; you can bet most will value your advice highly !

NHS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 16, 2010
Ya know I have been enjoying the forum and haven't read it yet. Article is kinda putting me on the spot so I am gonna head on over to Amazon and order it. :)

Looks like I am ordering from you and your gonna sign it. HAHA

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I actually think you should give them away to those persons because they're the ones who would benefit the most from your book.

You missed the point. Having the book is useless. It takes an effort to sit down and read 8 hours of it. These people will get NOTHING out of my book because they won't read it ... like a winning lottery ticket that sits in a desk drawer, unclaimed.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Graves

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jan 31, 2011
You missed the point. Having the book is useless. It takes an effort to sit down and read 8 hours of it. These people will get NOTHING out of my book because they won't read it ... like a winning lottery ticket that sits in a desk drawer, unclaimed.
That's where I disagree with you

If my 14-year old self - who didn't read a single book outside of school - asked someone driving a Lamborghini what his job was, and he told me was an entrepreneur + wrote 44 chapters about how I can become succesful like him (or that he read a countless number of business books back when he was young), you can be sure I would have wanted to :
1-know what "entrepreneur" meant
2-get a copy of this book and spend the next hours of my free time to read it multiple times (or storm the local library to find business books)

Flatlander

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Dec 28, 2010
South Dakota
I know what you mean with this one, MJ. I've given books to many people but mostly they go unread despite the fact that they could be of great benefit. It's tempting to want to be nice and help as many people as you can but for the most part is is probably a waste.

MikeC

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
62%
Dec 4, 2010
Salt Lake City, UT

If my 14-year old self - who didn't read a single book outside of school - asked someone driving a Lamborghini what his job was, and he told me was an entrepreneur + wrote 44 chapters about how I can become succesful like him (or that he read a countless number of business books back when he was young), you can be sure I would have wanted to :
2-get a copy of this book and spend the next hours of my free time to read it multiple times (or storm the local library to find business books)

I find that people who don't read books don't have the motivation to read, even if it's something they wanted to learn about. I've offered to let several friends read MJ's book, and they've all started, gotten a third through, told me it was amazing, and then didn't read another page. People who don't read don't read. I wouldn't give them a book either.

• Admin

MJ DeMarco

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Capital Life

PARKED
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Apr 8, 2010
Lincoln Il
With the recent "blizzard," I was home some and watched Judge Judy and The People's Court. That is a perfect example of how people just do not learn. Whatever they absorb lallygagging through high school is 90% of their learning. The other 10% is stupid crap that happens to them because they do not value education, knowledge, or a freaking book.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ

I agree that if it was a 16-22 year old person asking how you got that car, they would be more apt to read a book that you gave them. If it is someone in their 30s and 40s, and they have gone 10-20 years without trying to better themselves and a freebie won't do it.

MJ, perhaps a better solution would be to give them a flyer that has a one use coupon code for your store which makes the book $5 shipped. You can track and see how many people actually use it. I would be interested in seeing these stats.

Webebe

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Nov 20, 2015
Sweden
My first book I read about self improvement was from Dale Carnegie, How to win friends and influence people. It was a great book I found at home, my mother bought it. I think I have read about a 100 books about self improvement after that but the Millionaire fastlane is the best.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
I agree with you MJ, it's sad. People are just lazy. Especially with the plethora of information made readily available to the masses by the internet these days, there's really no excuse. I mean, people are fighting in third world countries just to have the same access to the same resources we get for free to learn about basic things like health and government. They want access to the internet to learn about ways to improve their lives. Yet people here can't even pick up a FREE book? Geez..

This is a great anecdote by the way.

Last edited:

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
MJ, I like the fact that you are willing to give your book out to people for free. I like that you casually weed out who gets a copy of your book with simple friendly questions. It's sad to say but there are more illiterate people today than there were in the 1800's. The average person hardly reads full words these days, it's all abbreviations/texting codes. If it wasn't for spell check many couldn't spell to save their lives. There are actually happy people on the sidewalk who have no ambition beyond watching television.....isn't last night episode of what ever, the main topic around the slowlane office water cooler? MJ you can only help so many people, so don't take it personally that many will not read a free book even when it's offered with best of intentions.

bloo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Dec 22, 2015
I agree with you, it's sad. People are just lazy. Especially with the plethora of information made readily available to the masses by the internet these days, there's really no excuse. I mean, people are fighting in third world countries just to have the same access to the same resources we get for free to learn about basic things like health and government. They want access to the internet to learn about ways to improve their lives. Yet people here can't even pick up a FREE book? Geez..

This is a great anecdote by the way.
Where is the book free?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Buickestate

any colour as long as it comes with wood
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 4, 2015
Ontario
Where is the book free?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

There's a guy handing them out of the trunk of his Italian car at the Dairy Queen in Phoenix, but only if you know the right answers to his questions.......

safff

Redlining
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 11, 2015
As much as I agree with the notion that some people are simply beyond help, and it probably is often the case for those who don't read; I think sometimes perhaps clarification on their response and interpretation of the question might not leave things looking so black and white and sometimes people's facades need prying a little before you can see their true fabric.

TFM was the first book that I read in a LONG time cover to cover. I very skeptically picked it up, the free chapter in and I was scrambling for wifi and a credit card to download it on Kindle. In fact, the only other book I've read in around 15 years has been the Alchemist, because my ex was a persistent hippie. And that was because it was the first book that honestly on the surface struck me as worth reading.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean for a second that I think that the majority of texts out there are useless, nor do I think my learning is tapped out. Far from it, I revel in the opportunity of being able to pick up new knowledge and skills daily. BUT, typically, I don't learn well from reading books and I never have. Another reason is that I am a self admitted skeptic. There are a LOT of books out there which are filled with self-indulgent or one sided nonsense which does put you off and turns you against buying into books that claim to have the answers. Which is why I quit school as soon as was practicable.

I will however read journals, articles, forums, research figures, extracts from books in non-routine fashion. I own a book or two, I tend to dip in and out sporadically then go off and apply the knowledge. So if someone was to ask me in January 2014 'how many books I had read in the last 15 years', the answer would have been '0'.

Sometimes a piece of literature can have a far more immense impact on someone who doesn't dilute what they are presented with with pre-conceived notion or a sea of previous reading; it just has to be the right book :)

Last edited:

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
As much as I agree with the notion that some people are simply beyond help, and it probably is often the case for those who don't read; I think sometimes perhaps clarification on their response and interpretation of the question might not leave things looking so black and white and sometimes people's facades need prying a little before you can see their true fabric.

TFM was the first book that I read in a LONG time cover to cover. I very skeptically picked it up, the free chapter in and I was scrambling for wifi to download it on Kindle. In fact, the only other book I've read in around 15 years has been the Alchemist. And that was because it was the first book that honestly on the surface struck me as worth reading.

Don't get me wrong, that doesn't mean for a second that I think that the majority of texts out there are useless, nor do I think my learning is tapped out. Far from it, I revel in the opportunity of being able to pick up new knowledge and skills daily. BUT, typically, I don't learn well from reading books and I never have. Another reason is that I am a self admitted skeptic. There are a LOT of books out there which are filled with self-indulgent or one sided nonsense which does put you off and turns you against buying into books that claim to have the answers. Which is why I quit school as soon as was practicable.

I will however read journals, articles, forums, research figures, extracts from books in non-routine fashion. I own a book or two, I tend to dip in and out sporadically then go off and apply the knowledge. So if someone was to ask me in January 2014 'how many books I had read in the last 15 years', the answer would have been '0'.

Sometimes a piece of literature can have a far more immense impact on someone who doesn't dilute what they are presented with with pre-conceived notion or a sea of previous reading; it just has to be the right book :)
A free book, is a free book :)

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK

I totally agree, I brought a good friend a copy of TMF because I believe with the right mindset and choice of words, he could make some great money.
However, he has not read it yet.
... you can take a horse to water huh.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I met someone that had a lot of money from investing in apartments. I asked him how I could buy apartments. He said "just go buy them". So I bought 2 books and put together a process. I then went out and started buying apartments.

The process is simple. The execution is the challenge.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I totally agree, I brought a good friend a copy of TMF because I believe with the right mindset and choice of words, he could make some great money.
However, he has not read it yet.
... you can take a horse to water huh.
From my perception.

If you meet 100 random people that know you have some success with money, 50 may make a comment, 5 may ask some probing questions, none will take any action.

This is what makes this forum so different.

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
I met someone that had a lot of money from investing in apartments. I asked him how I could buy apartments. He said "just go buy them". So I bought 2 books and put together a process. I then went out and started buying apartments.

The process is simple. The execution is the challenge.

Well shit...good luck buying apartments now that we all know your secret! :smuggy:

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
Well shit...good luck buying apartments now that we all know your secret! :smuggy:
Ha! The secret came from one of the books. Part of it discussed timing. I learned timing is critical the hard way in the past. I have sold 150 units during the past 1.5 years and have my last 29 under contract to sell now. So, I am not a buyer now and have been happy to sell to those that are.

Mac

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Feb 10, 2015
Yeah, I've tried to show my parents this book and I tell them it will change their life, yet they won't read it. Instead they like to bitch about their jobs and drink on the weekends or sit around watching TV. It's stressful to say the least, but what can ya do? They say ignorance is bliss.

TonyStark

I'm not dead yet
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jul 20, 2015
Austin, Texas
Yeah, I've tried to show my parents this book and I tell them it will change their life, yet they won't read it. Instead they like to bitch about their jobs and drink on the weekends or sit around watching TV. It's stressful to say the least, but what can ya do? They say ignorance is bliss.
Hahaha similar problem.

It really does shock me. I literally have to tell everyone that this book isn't what you think it is. That it's not one of those "Guru" doctrines. Yet everyone always complains about, "how they don't have time," or "I don't need to read it". At least my father does.

ChrisJTurner

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Mar 13, 2015
UK
From my perception.

If you meet 100 random people that know you have some success with money, 50 may make a comment, 5 may ask some probing questions, none will take any action.

This is what makes this forum so different.

Yeah. I totally agree.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I read... various documentation for app development. That counts right? :)

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
Im sad to say that I gave the book to my brother and told him that if he would understand it his chances of doing successful business would increase a lot. He got excited, read a little and then stopped. He said that Marco doesnt describe what he needs to do to get rich. My brother has done a lot of mlm scams, its sad. He has done some good business too and he has a tremendous drive. I hope he will succeed as he desires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HyperFocus

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Jan 4, 2016
Amsterdam
No Book for You!

Sad I had to write this but the state of education in this country is rapidly deteriorating ... HTF do you not read?

No Book For You! The SoupNazi Exposes Why Most People Will Never Get Rich | Fastlane Entrepreneurs

Very cool that you give away your book. Truly the best way to help someone. Very nice of you. But yes, you cant help someone who doesnt want to help himself.

I agree that if it was a 16-22 year old person asking how you got that car, they would be more apt to read a book that you gave them. If it is someone in their 30s and 40s, and they have gone 10-20 years without trying to better themselves and a freebie won't do it.

MJ, perhaps a better solution would be to give them a flyer that has a one use coupon code for your store which makes the book $5 shipped. You can track and see how many people actually use it. I would be interested in seeing these stats.

I agree with you. I also read your threads about Amazon. You have been an inspiration and although Im in another business you have taught me small smart tricks. Thanks for your contribution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.