The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newby is introducing his business idea: Indoor home gardening box and brand

Idea threads

Mamot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 27, 2019
Dear all,
i would like to get your input on an idea I have.
The idea is to create a product quite similar to this one:
With my product you could grow herbs for everyday cooking which will be the main purpose of the growing box. People could also use it to grow first seedlings that can be planted in the garden after reaching a certain height or age (for example tomatoes). Additional value i want to create for the customer compared to competitors is:
1. The grow box will be plug an play. It can be mounted in <5 minutes. Also the first seeds will already be preplanted in the growing-material so the customer can buy the box, get the delivery and start immediately with the growing process.
2. There will be additional content available on how to grow certain herbs or plants with the box in the best way possible. Will be available on the brand's webside.
3. Spare-parts will be available
4. Seeds and/or pre-grown seedlings can be ordered as well (in a 2nd stage of the project)

From my perspective this product/business fullfills all the N.E.C.T.S commandments

Need:
Lots of people want to grow their own stuff at home but don't have the possibility as they are living in a city (no space) and there is no plug an play solution for this available yet (no time and no comfort way of growing your own stuff) .
If you want to plant for example tomatoes in germany you need to start with the seedlings at a certain point of time during the year. This does not always work out as and people need to buy pre-grown seedlings because with a 2nd try of growing their own seedlings people won't hit the time-window to plant the seedlings in the garden. With the box you would have guaranteed results and you would be faster.
I did not find any data on how big this type of industry is in germany but i think it will be growing in the next years. I anybody out there wo has an idea on how to get this data??
--> Need fulfilled

Entry:
As you need to create the product, find manufacturer/suppliers + create content i think entry is not easy, more in the medium-range which is enough in my opinion.
--> entry fulfilled

Control:
I want to be in charge of producing the growing box, the involved electrics, spare parts , content and the seeds or seedlings --> so good control
--> control fulfilled

Scale:
In germany there were 41million housholds in 2019 and i guess this number ist growing:).
If only 1% of all households will buy the product this means 4.1 million potential customers. Let's say i will only deliver to 25% of the market this will still be 1mill customers.
In general i can also try to compete in the US- or Europe-market to increase csutomerbase.
Also i think there will be opportunities to extend the business to more products.
For example bigger boxes or fancier boxes with additional features (for example different lighting profiles for different plants)
--> scale fulfilled

Time:
As i want to preassemble the box in the beginning i guess it can become time comsuming in the beginning.
But I think this can be outsourced at some point.
--> "time" fullfilled

So people out there... what do you think?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

BellaPippin

B is for Beast
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
275%
Jul 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You guys don't have Aerogardens? How is this better?

If you don't, you could always look into carrying them and selling them over there?

Mamot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 27, 2019
Thanks MJ.
Thanks BellaPippin.

Aerogarden is very similar to what i had in mind.
It is not available in europe.
Carrying them and selling them over here is someting i wouldn't like to do because i don't have any control.
Is this too simple minded?

Regarding my idea. I still think that it will be possible to introduce something comparable to Aerogarden to the german and/or european market, so for now i will continue working on it.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
You guys don't have Aerogardens? How is this better?

If you don't, you could always look into carrying them and selling them over there?
Agree. Look for analogous companies and products, then figure out how you'd create something different, and figure out how to validate whether people would pay for it.

Mamot

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Oct 27, 2019
Hello,
i looked for analogous products and will continue to verify, but i think in germany or in europe you cannot really find something similar to aerogardens.

I also already started to design my product but then the question hit:
Is the product patented or someting like this, or is the idea protected yby some law.
Does anybody out there know how i can check this? Or how someone would typically check this?

best regards,
MM

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.