The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Newbie but an old soul

Crushbowl

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Jan 17, 2019
"Who are you? Tell your story."

Entrepreneur at heart. (Or perhaps, in my bones.)

I come from an upper middle class family that is all too comfortable with a 9-5 job as long as it’s above average pay. So $120 - $250 or ideally, $500K is respectable. Anything below and they start to worry. Doctor, lawyer, engineer, accountant are acceptable jobs, which provide enough prestige & social status to brag about to neighbors and associates in competitive social circles.

In my family, entrepreneurship has always been considered equally scary and foolish.

Only recently has my mother, 72, now realized she would not want to work for anybody. (She’s been forced to continue to work this late in her life because of a colossal set back that occurred late in her career.) She’s been unable to mentally pivot into the idea of becoming an entrepreneur (out of fear of the unknown) even though this pivot could ultimately give her great relief and she could live the remainder of her years in comfort and with some control over her destiny.

Like the rest of my peers, I was brainwashed in primary and secondary school ‘to get good grades and get a job’. I was good a getting the grades, but bad at holding a job, a unquestionable textbook symptom of entrepreneurialism.

Becoming an entrepreneur was a decision I made in my late teens/twenties. I remember during my formative years, always having the inkling of: “High School, College, a Job, Marriage (maybe kids), and that’s it? There has be to be more than this.” Being 16 in high school and imagining my future seemed bleak or worse, dull.

Eventually, I read the obligatory Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

But naturally, the next question was: “Okay, I’m ready. But how? How do I make it happen?”

Naturally bookish, I wanted a set of rules to follow or a mapped out step-by-step plan in my hands.

Post-college, however, I spent another ten years scrambling. Spending loads of money traveling to outlandish, expensive entrepreneurial conferences filled with wide-eyed hopefuls like myself. I found myself again, amongst the brainwashed. “Spend more money with us, follow our oddly prescribed plan, and ‘become an entrepreneur’. Looking back, clearly, these were money grabs. I remember in the process of handing over my credit card and thinking it was a money grab. However, cost-punitive it was, despite maxing out my credit card and spending the next 10+ years paying them off, I’m appreciative of what I gained from this now tertiary level of education.

== My Experience ==

My biggest successes online have always been making content go viral. So I guess, unofficially, I’m a content marketer.

I’m the best writer I know. Meaning, I understand how to add a relatable voice to a copywritten ad/sales script.

Inevitably, I turn heads. Not sure why? Perhaps, I’m willing to talk about what everyone else is thinking, but not saying. I’m also able to bring a new refreshing spin on an old medium.

I tap into the hearts and minds of others, at this point, without much effort.

And here I am. Still trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but with wisdom and experience (and spirituality) as my guide.

I’m here to help and inspire true (productive) conversations and thought.

Let’s do it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Welcome my friend, appreciate the intro.

timmy

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jul 29, 2013
Ireland
"Who are you? Tell your story."

Entrepreneur at heart. (Or perhaps, in my bones.)

I come from an upper middle class family that is all too comfortable with a 9-5 job as long as it’s above average pay. So $120 - $250 or ideally, $500K is respectable. Anything below and they start to worry. Doctor, lawyer, engineer, accountant are acceptable jobs, which provide enough prestige & social status to brag about to neighbors and associates in competitive social circles.

In my family, entrepreneurship has always been considered equally scary and foolish.

Only recently has my mother, 72, now realized she would not want to work for anybody. (She’s been forced to continue to work this late in her life because of a colossal set back that occurred late in her career.) She’s been unable to mentally pivot into the idea of becoming an entrepreneur (out of fear of the unknown) even though this pivot could ultimately give her great relief and she could live the remainder of her years in comfort and with some control over her destiny.

Like the rest of my peers, I was brainwashed in primary and secondary school ‘to get good grades and get a job’. I was good a getting the grades, but bad at holding a job, a unquestionable textbook symptom of entrepreneurialism.

Becoming an entrepreneur was a decision I made in my late teens/twenties. I remember during my formative years, always having the inkling of: “High School, College, a Job, Marriage (maybe kids), and that’s it? There has be to be more than this.” Being 16 in high school and imagining my future seemed bleak or worse, dull.

Eventually, I read the obligatory Rich Dad, Poor Dad.

But naturally, the next question was: “Okay, I’m ready. But how? How do I make it happen?”

Naturally bookish, I wanted a set of rules to follow or a mapped out step-by-step plan in my hands.

Post-college, however, I spent another ten years scrambling. Spending loads of money traveling to outlandish, expensive entrepreneurial conferences filled with wide-eyed hopefuls like myself. I found myself again, amongst the brainwashed. “Spend more money with us, follow our oddly prescribed plan, and ‘become an entrepreneur’. Looking back, clearly, these were money grabs. I remember in the process of handing over my credit card and thinking it was a money grab. However, cost-punitive it was, despite maxing out my credit card and spending the next 10+ years paying them off, I’m appreciative of what I gained from this now tertiary level of education.

== My Experience ==

My biggest successes online have always been making content go viral. So I guess, unofficially, I’m a content marketer.

I’m the best writer I know. Meaning, I understand how to add a relatable voice to a copywritten ad/sales script.

Inevitably, I turn heads. Not sure why? Perhaps, I’m willing to talk about what everyone else is thinking, but not saying. I’m also able to bring a new refreshing spin on an old medium.

I tap into the hearts and minds of others, at this point, without much effort.

And here I am. Still trying to put the pieces of the puzzle together, but with wisdom and experience (and spirituality) as my guide.

I’m here to help and inspire true (productive) conversations and thought.

Let’s do it!
An interesting and compelling intro. Welome

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.