The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New sustainable energy solution - Generating power from windows

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
New technology that enables generating energy from our windows, controlling window transparency, and changing room temprature without AC.
This completely blew my mind. What other applications can you think of for this?
How will this affect our lives if successfully applied?

One of the the amazing things about this story, is that Justin Hall-Tipping is an Entrepreneur and not a scientist. It seems that all of this is was made possible thanks to his vision and actions taken to create synergy between all of the different research institutions.

[video]http://www.ted.com/talks/justin_hall_tipping_freeing_energy_from_the_grid.h tml[/video]

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

pro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
46%
Sep 5, 2011
Mum's Basement
This is what entrepreneurship should be about--producing real value and innovation to society

There is not enough of a real incentive to produce real value. Look at virtually unproductive activities like day trading and selling many consumer products that cause more harm than good. Whether you want to admit it or not, selling harmful products or taking shortcuts to sell inferior products (eg. fake blueberries widely advertised in foods) doesn't add a lot of real value - it's more of a "transfer of value."

At the same, I think it's best to remain skeptical until proven otherwise that this guy has a practical application. Here's a comment stated about him that I agree with:

Is there no one in the comment section going to challenge this one? Bringing out the crumpled photo of the girl dying of thirst should be hint as to the whole motivation of this talk. It is not science. This talk is NOT up to the standards of TED.
Notice all the favorable comments are from people who are not scientists. All of you think only with your hearts, not with your heads. His talk was so full of physics errors it would never be watched to completion by any one with a degree in one of the hard sciences. Here's just some of them. You can't image without lens. His block diagram didn't replace the battery. You can't beam energy. The cost of lighting is insignificant compared to all the other uses of electricity. Linking his company with the cost of desalination is done only with a tear. This guy is a snake-oil salesman. If you promote him or his company, you will be doing the cause of the environment great harm. I highly recommend to TED, for the sake of the environment, take this video off. I will bet money his company will go bankrupt and you will never hear from this pretentious guy again.

You can see an overview of his portfolio here: nanoholdings(dot)com/portfolio/new-technologies
So far, it's unclear if he has any practical solutions or if this company is selling snake oil to investors.

Davidla

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
May 30, 2009
Colorado, U.S.A
The main point here is about creativity and new ideas..

This is what entrepreneurship should be about--producing real value and innovation to society

There is not enough of a real incentive to produce real value. Look at virtually unproductive activities like day trading and selling many consumer products that cause more harm than good. Whether you want to admit it or not, selling harmful products or taking shortcuts to sell inferior products (eg. fake blueberries widely advertised in foods) doesn't add a lot of real value - it's more of a "transfer of value."

At the same, I think it's best to remain skeptical until proven otherwise that this guy has a practical application. Here's a comment stated about him that I agree with:

Is there no one in the comment section going to challenge this one? Bringing out the crumpled photo of the girl dying of thirst should be hint as to the whole motivation of this talk. It is not science. This talk is NOT up to the standards of TED.
Notice all the favorable comments are from people who are not scientists. All of you think only with your hearts, not with your heads. His talk was so full of physics errors it would never be watched to completion by any one with a degree in one of the hard sciences. Here's just some of them. You can't image without lens. His block diagram didn't replace the battery. You can't beam energy. The cost of lighting is insignificant compared to all the other uses of electricity. Linking his company with the cost of desalination is done only with a tear. This guy is a snake-oil salesman. If you promote him or his company, you will be doing the cause of the environment great harm. I highly recommend to TED, for the sake of the environment, take this video off. I will bet money his company will go bankrupt and you will never hear from this pretentious guy again.

You can see an overview of his portfolio here: nanoholdings(dot)com/portfolio/new-technologies
So far, it's unclear if he has any practical solutions or if this company is selling snake oil to investors.

I agree about the skepticism. This is still far from being widely implemented, but I think that this guy with the comment is really missing the point.
Regardless of the "sales pitch" and the fact that guy presenting is somewhat suspicious, this is a revolutionary idea with huge potential that seems to be backed by successful scientific research.
Sure, they have a lot of things to figure out before (if at all) it is ready to be implemented, but this is exactly what TED is for: spreading new and innovative ideas.

Sky

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Sep 6, 2011
At one time, in the history of man, people thought:

The world was flat.
People could not fly.
A horse was the only means of travel.
Tomatoes were poisonous.
you could not talk to someone in another timezone.
Mental disease can be cured with surgery.
Atoms couldn't be split.
One bomb can't end a war.
you had to pay for music.

To say otherwise was pure heresy.

Physics or not, the idea he presents should not be so disregarded. Necessity is the mother of invention. Im no scientist but I'm pretty sure something is a scientific fact, only if it cannot be dis proven, at the moment. To say something is an absolute truth is the greatest fallacy of them all.

The idea that energy could be produced from windows is outlandish, at best. But the point he makes about the girl dying of thirst is correct. Energy should be something that is free and not exclusive, something that the big providers of energy: fossil fuel, natural gas, nuclear, and coal want you to believe. Energy is something that naturally exist all around us.

If I could capitalize on a set of windows that could heat, cool, and power a home, that wouldn't be fastlane. That would be F*cking star ship enterprise warp 9 wormhole lane.

When you tell someone they "can't" do something, you've already lost.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.