The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

New Economic Study Details How Proposed Tax Increase of ... - PR

Taxes and regulation

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007
Re: New Economic Study Details How Proposed Tax Increase of ... -

Not to add fuel to the fire regarding forum challenges...but the "more" button on the news story does not work for me. It goes to a blank page.

I'm running Safari.

Comment on the article, because I did read it last night. It's very interesting. The AMT fix is turning into a debacle of major proportions. Did anyone read the House Ways and Means bill that passed yesterday?

It takes away long-term capital gains treatment!!! This bill is trying to fix AMT by creating a heavier tax burden for investors and business owners.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007

Un-freaking-real... :cuss:

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

I need an example to understand this...

Let's say I put together a deal, bring partners to finance it and I don't put any money and I will be the general partner.... we will split profits 50/50 with the money partners.

We sell after a couple of years and make, let's say, 1M in profit. 500K is for the partners, 500K for me as agreed. The partners will pay 75K in taxes, I will 150K.

Is this correct?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia

Wow - not good news. So, let me make sure I have this right..... this means that any company/partnership, which owns RE will pay a 35% tax on gains, regardless of time held (upon sale)?

Diane, can you think of any way around this or, at least, to lessen the blow? Are these things typically temporary?

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007

It's just the House's bill right now. It's not certain if the Senate will pass it and then if it does pass, I'm pretty sure Bush would not sign it (he hasn't stated yet though). That would then kick back to try to get a 2/3 majority.

Which brings us to Rangel's "Mother of all Tax Bills" (that's what he calls it) - it calls for many things, including raising the highest tax rate from 35% to 48%! It would be the highest ever tax jump in US history.

I have so many opinions on all this, depending on which hat I have on: as an investor/business owner - this sucks, as a US citizen - this sucks, and as a CPA/Tax Strategist - this rocks. I will have more clients than I know what to do with because there are ALWAYS loopholes - it's just a matter of having enough time to position the deals and your business to take advantage of every tax benefit out there.

Up until 3 years ago, I always said: If you're paying too much in taxes (or ANYTHING in taxes if you don't want to) then there are one of two things wrong:

(1) You don't own enough real estate; or
(2) You dont' have the right tax advisors.

Now, I can't say that because of AMT.

phlgirl

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Aug 29, 2007
Philadelphia

Diane -

Was attempting to contact you, via PM. I can understand why you might want to disable this feature, as your box would likely be full daily. Do you have a preferred method of contact?

Thank you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Diane Kennedy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Aug 31, 2007

I need an example to understand this...

Let's say I put together a deal, bring partners to finance it and I don't put any money and I will be the general partner.... we will split profits 50/50 with the money partners.

We sell after a couple of years and make, let's say, 1M in profit. 500K is for the partners, 500K for me as agreed. The partners will pay 75K in taxes, I will 150K.

Is this correct?

Actually Andres, everybody would pay at the 35% bracket... so it would be the higher rate for both the money partners and you.

Yes, SteveO, it's unreal.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.