• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Atomic Habits by James Clear

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Buy: Buy | Discuss: Atomic Habits, by James Clear (Review | Discuss)

New Economic Study Details How Proposed Tax Increase of ... - PR

Discussion in 'Asset Protection/Taxes/Legal' started by MJ DeMarco, Nov 6, 2007.

1. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $365,722
  2. Diane Kennedy

Diane Kennedy Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $134
    Re: New Economic Study Details How Proposed Tax Increase of ... -

Not to add fuel to the fire regarding forum challenges...but the "more" button on the news story does not work for me. It goes to a blank page.

I'm running Safari.

Comment on the article, because I did read it last night. It's very interesting. The AMT fix is turning into a debacle of major proportions. Did anyone read the House Ways and Means bill that passed yesterday?

It takes away long-term capital gains treatment!!! This bill is trying to fix AMT by creating a heavier tax burden for investors and business owners.

3. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $91,813

Un-freaking-real... :cuss:

4. andviv

andviv Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $3,287

I need an example to understand this...

Let's say I put together a deal, bring partners to finance it and I don't put any money and I will be the general partner.... we will split profits 50/50 with the money partners.

We sell after a couple of years and make, let's say, 1M in profit. 500K is for the partners, 500K for me as agreed. The partners will pay 75K in taxes, I will 150K.

Is this correct?

5. phlgirl

phlgirl Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $172

Wow - not good news. So, let me make sure I have this right..... this means that any company/partnership, which owns RE will pay a 35% tax on gains, regardless of time held (upon sale)?

Diane, can you think of any way around this or, at least, to lessen the blow? Are these things typically temporary?

6. Diane Kennedy

Rep Bank:
    $134

It's just the House's bill right now. It's not certain if the Senate will pass it and then if it does pass, I'm pretty sure Bush would not sign it (he hasn't stated yet though). That would then kick back to try to get a 2/3 majority.

Which brings us to Rangel's "Mother of all Tax Bills" (that's what he calls it) - it calls for many things, including raising the highest tax rate from 35% to 48%! It would be the highest ever tax jump in US history.

I have so many opinions on all this, depending on which hat I have on: as an investor/business owner - this sucks, as a US citizen - this sucks, and as a CPA/Tax Strategist - this rocks. I will have more clients than I know what to do with because there are ALWAYS loopholes - it's just a matter of having enough time to position the deals and your business to take advantage of every tax benefit out there.

Up until 3 years ago, I always said: If you're paying too much in taxes (or ANYTHING in taxes if you don't want to) then there are one of two things wrong:

(1) You don't own enough real estate; or
    (2) You dont' have the right tax advisors.

Now, I can't say that because of AMT.

7. phlgirl

phlgirl Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $172

Diane -

Was attempting to contact you, via PM. I can understand why you might want to disable this feature, as your box would likely be full daily. Do you have a preferred method of contact?

Thank you.

8. Diane Kennedy

Rep Bank:
    $134

Actually Andres, everybody would pay at the 35% bracket... so it would be the higher rate for both the money partners and you.

Yes, SteveO, it's unreal.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.