The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Never Forget...

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
With everything going on in our busy lives, it is easy to forget just how lucky we all are. While on break this morning, I came across an article that I wanted to share with you all. Sometimes, it takes news such as this to remind us of how much we take for granted, and the everyday blessings we all have regardless of our level of wealth and success.

This article hit me hard this morning. I just wanted to gently remind everyone that though matter what problems or stress you may be dealing with right now, there are people overseas fighting and dying for your freedom.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24428155/

Im not sure who wrote this one, but I think this quote kind of sums it up:

"A Veteran;
whether Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount "up to and including my life."

RIP to SGT German, who wrote that check for us.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks Mike ... whenever I come across a veteran I am awestruck .... when people see a famous actor or celebrity, they tend to gaze in awe ... I get like that when I see a serviceman. For me, there is no higher honor of the veteran, far exceeding some rich athlete, musician, or actor. Those who put their life on the line are the real heroes and should respected accordingly.

lightning

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
35%
Aug 24, 2007
Northern, NJ
Thanks Mike ... whenever I come across a veteran I am awestruck .... when people see a famous actor or celebrity, they tend to gaze in awe ... I get like that when I see a serviceman. For me, there is no higher honor of the veteran, far exceeding some rich athlete, musician, or actor. Those who put their life on the line are the real heroes and should respected accordingly.

Well said Mike, Amen to that.

mtnman

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
28%
Oct 3, 2007
I couldn't agree more, with everyone. Another thing people often never recognize, is life after war.

Not only do people put their asses on the line during war, the aftermath is often not a cake walk. Just making out alive is sometimes only the beginning. Of course not in every instance, as we all walk a different path.

In reference to another thread about stress and mental anguish, most have no idea what REAL stress is like. The gratitude we should have toward our stress levels should result in a thankfulness beyond belief. It often does not. Life happens. We get complacent. Ungrateful.

I don't think the soldiers thought about how we would feel when they made their commitment. Simply put, not respecting, recognizing and thanking them isn't cool. A day in another's shoes would make your head spin.

Stress that never goes away and memories that haunt, day in and day out. Years go by trying to cope with daily life. Some manage to cope, others do not. The commitment to go to war for all of US, IS, an incredible sacrifice that we should be so grateful for.

Am I perfect? No. Do I always pay my respects as I should? No. I'm human. I screw up.

I have endured a horrific time in my life where chronic stress/anxiety was a daily battle for about a year. This brought a soldiers afterlife (veteran of war) into perspective and has hit close to home afterward. I can only imagine.

Anywho', I'm not saying anyone is ungrateful or anything. Just felt the need to contribute as a form of respect.

P.S. Retired service men usually have great stories and have great wisdom to share. Take 5 minutes and have a conversation with one.

Dejan M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 9, 2008
Slovenia, Europe
On of the problems I see with war and soldiers (and yes, they should be respected, don´t get me wrong) is that wars are ALWAYS fought by poor people for the rich people. Many times just for more money. This of course isn´t fair and is many times conceiled as "patriotism".

Not to mention what are people capable in war times ...

Unfortunately things aren´t black and white.

Bilgefisher

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 29, 2007
Aurora, Co
On of the problems I see with war and soldiers (and yes, they should be respected, don´t get me wrong) is that wars are ALWAYS fought by poor people for the rich people. Many times just for more money. This of course isn´t fair and is many times conceiled as "patriotism".

Not to mention what are people capable in war times ...

Unfortunately things aren´t black and white.

I don't want to get into a huge argument about this, but I disagree. During my 6 years of service, I ran into people from every walk of life. Black, white, Mexican, Chinese, rich and poor. I grew up in a town that is 97% white, it was an excellent education for me to be the minority while I served. I also worked with 2 different guys that were multi-millionaires serving. They could have gotten out at anytime, but choose to serve.

One thing I can tell you right now, I would trade every coworker I have right now, for just one of those guys by my side. I have never run into a harder working, down to earth, and disciplined group of guys as I did with my fellow submariners. I, in the most literal sense the the phrase, trust my very life with them. I run into another service member and there is an instant bond with them. Nothing has to be said, but its acknowledged. Yes there might be a larger portion of poor folks in the military, but these folks aren't stupid or gullible. I went through the #2 engineering school in the nation. Its ranked just behind MIT. This school was run by the Navy, and it wasn't even the academy. Dejan, I know you meant no harm in your comments, I just felt it needed some clarification.

only-man-standing_bf.jpg

Dejan M

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Mar 9, 2008
Slovenia, Europe
I believe everything you said but I would dare to say that you are probably in a minority. With the "rich" I did not have in mind the people that got to their status by hard/smart work and have a few millions in the bank now. The people that are making money in Iraq, Afghanistan and in similar wars are people which will not fight in a war and will not send their sons because they have totally different motivation.

Again - I respect those who go in the military because of patriotism but I just feel that this word is abused and a small minority is making billions of wars which are to be fought for freedom and similar nice-sounding words. But in the end thousands and thousands of innocent people die while in the meantime some made a business of a lifetime.

Am I getting too political here? :tdown:

slim_jim

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Jan 31, 2008
Columbus, OH
my $0.02 as reservist/veteran and from a family of lifers.

I had typed up a long reply, but it was headed towards ranting and against the forum rules, so .....

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is its natural manure." - Thomas Jefferson

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.