The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need your advice - What would you do with $2500 reimbursement for education?

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
I need some advice from the community.

As I had shared in my introduction, I will have to leave my job next week on June 28th. As part of the separation package, they are providing $2500 that can be used for anything related to education, certifications, fees associated, etc.

I am not trying to purposely rattle off titles below, but I am trying to provide context around some of my experience, and how I could use that experience to turn it into Fastlane. Maybe it is improving upon current areas of strength, or focusing on areas of weakness, or learning something completely new.

My current competency is a Certified PMP Project Manager. I also am Certified Scrum Master and Certified Associate Architect. Previous roles and experience through the years have been:

Manager & Global Solutions Owner, Executive Program Manager, Program & Product Manager, Service Delivery Manager, Production Lead, Operations Manager, Software Engineer, and Customer Engineer.

with specific skills/strengths in:

Project Management | Program Management | IT Management | Service Delivery | Cloud Computing | Cognitive Solutions | Software Development | Automations | Integration | Leadership | People Management | Cross-functional Coordination

My thoughts are that I want to see some sort of return on the education, not to just learn something new for the sake of learning, but do something with it to build upon it for a return that would fit into Fastlane.

What Fastlane education would you take if you had $2500 to use on education courses or training? Would it be all one particular topic/domain to build more complete expertise or a combination of different courses to complete the business pipeline?

Sincerely,
LF

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Xavier X

Gold Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
261%
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
I don't think anyone can give you a specific answer.

What I'd recommend is to take a close look at the current skills you've listed.
Then identify which offers the most viable fastlane potential, if you become really proficient at it.
When you do, take that $2500 and build your skills on top of that thing.

e.g if you see Cloud Computing as the future of computing and an opportunity to create something truly useful, then zone in on that and give it your all.

It's better to know everything about 1 or 2 things, than to know a little about 100 things.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
I would leave the 2500 at the door unless there is something you know you need.

Don't take more education for the sake of it just because it's "free"

Get out and start solving needs.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
I believe the education has a time limit of 1 year - I would hate to just not use it when it is provided. I am still in process of working on PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) requirements that I can cover the expenses for. Would certifications be viewed beneficial to support the establishment of say a Consultancy business?

I haven't been able to keep up my development background through the years in some of these other management type roles, but my Java (Servlet) skills are still descent - maybe lower advanced level (with MySQL, Linux, HTML/CSS/XML knowledge) as I thought about what if I could build some sort of web software service or website as a business opportunity. My SQL is okay, but I can't write complex SQL statements or know how to optimize it very well. HTML/CSS I can get by with, but I am not a skilled UI person with a graphics ability to pretty up interface. My Javascript is so-so, not as strong but I fudge it.

Lets say even if I did build a software product, I know very well that my actual sales and marketing experience is very weak. If I can't make a sale or get people to use it, I wasted my time building. Any thoughts about that or specialized training around those things?

I don't know anything about mobile application development. I am sure I could start learning, but if I wanted to accelerate into it, this could a possible use for it.

Does this help change potential responses for what I could use the education money for?

Sincerely,
LF

Last edited:

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Last night, I read of the term Askhole in the UNSCRIPTED book that comes from questions posed from needing advice. I won't argue against what you have to say. I am indeed opening this up to brainstorming of what could be my possibilities to weigh and where I could make some improvements based on recommendations from information shared. Please let me know what you see as viable Fastlane education to take advantage of.

Sincerely,
LF

I believe the education has a time limit of 1 year - I would hate to just not use it when it is provided. I am still in process of working on PMI Agile Certified Practitioner (ACP) requirements that I can cover the expenses for. Would certifications be viewed beneficial to support the establishment of say a Consultancy business?

I haven't been able to keep up my development background through the years in some of these other management type roles, but my Java (Servlet) skills are still descent - maybe lower advanced level (with MySQL, Linux, HTML/CSS/XML knowledge) as I thought about what if I could build some sort of web software service or website as a business opportunity. My SQL is okay, but I can't write complex SQL statements or know how to optimize it very well. HTML/CSS I can get by with, but I am not a skilled UI person with a graphics ability to pretty up interface. My Javascript is so-so, not as strong but I fudge it.

Lets say even if I did build a software product, I know very well that my actual sales and marketing experience is very weak. If I can't make a sale or get people to use it, I wasted my time building. Any thoughts about that or specialized training around those things?

I don't know anything about mobile application development. I am sure I could start learning, but if I wanted to accelerate into it, this could a possible use for it.

Does this help change potential responses for what I could use the education money for?

Sincerely,
LF

Last edited:

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Thank you JAJT for reaching out to me on this. When it comes to core raw sales skills, other than reading a book once upon a time (probably 10 years ago), to be fair, I would put my sales ability (initiated as me alone) being a 1 rating (very poor) out of a 10 (Excellent) scale.

Are you aware of some highly recommended accelerator courses that might fit the bill?

Sincerely,
LF

Do you have any sales skills?

You can buy your way into a hell of a sales course/retreat for $2,500 I would suspect.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Are you aware of some highly recommended accelerator courses that might fit the bill?

Every city has a few but I honestly wouldn't have any to recommend.

Maybe ask the sales manager at your company? Or just google around.

Bringing your sales ability from a 1 to even a 3 would be tremendously beneficial in any endeavor you encounter.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You've mentioned your current qualifications/certifications, and previous job titles (where you've come from).

You've not mentioned businesses you've grown or are trying to grow (where you want to go).

What will help you get more customers and sales for the business you want to grow?

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Thank you for the suggestion on Udemy. I was not aware of this site and looks to have many great courses. With so much to offer, I am not sure where to start or what specific courses to target quite yet. Thank you for this suggestion!

2500 goes a long way on Udemy!

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Hi Andy,

Thank you for raising these very important question(s), I appreciate this very much.

You are correct. I have not identified a business I want to define or grow yet. What I have at the moment are generalities based on some existing skills that I am trying to figure how I can turn for use of profit quickly. It may be that my path could be using some existing Java/HMTL development skills to define a service for a need in the market. If I were to pick something that is of interest, that may fall into a online business/ecommerce or a service offering ($x per month subscription).

Once I can see what it is that can meet a CENTS evaluation successfully, I have already been wrestling with the question, "If I provide it, will they come?". The answer deep down to that is no, without a sales and marketing strategy behind it. I am seeing that no matter what could be invented or built, I don't know how to get it out there. High level, I am trying to evaluate universal (fundamental) knowledge that I can apply no matter what and then begin to zero in on specialized knowledge to tighten the bolts.

The best of me keeps coming back to three key areas to focus on:

1) Development (update skills, learn some new technology like mobile application platforms).
2) Marketing
3) Sales

For Marketing and Sales, what types of fundamental learning areas would be of value to me if I had a web site service or application to sell? SEO, online advertising models, old school sales techniques (face to face, negotiation, etc.) and new online sales techniques, etc.? I want to see a return on the education taken. You stated it so nicely to me, and love what you asked because it is a powerful question to think about, "What will help you get more customers and sales for the business you want to grow?". If I can't see how I can get a return out of the education (or payback) to satisfy this question, I more than likely do not need it.

If I may ask you for further insight to your question above with the intention to help lead me through into additional thinking.
  • What do you see are some crucial sales and marketing skills/knowledge that anyone in an online business should have or acquire to enable being more successful?
  • What have you found personally within the sales and marketing domain knowledge that has positioned your endeavors for success the most?
  • Are there any areas to stay away from that just don't deliver (time wasters, plain garbage spouted by so called "gurus")?
I believe once I finish UNSCRIPTED in the next week or two, and as I go through the exercise to sit down to evaluate potential opportunities to execute, I will be able to better answer this question, and couple it with your advice to pinpoint what education is of priority.

Sincerely,
LF

You've mentioned your current qualifications/certifications, and previous job titles (where you've come from).

You've not mentioned businesses you've grown or are trying to grow (where you want to go).

What will help you get more customers and sales for the business you want to grow?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Hi Andy,

Thank you for raising these very important question(s), I appreciate this very much.

You are correct. I have not identified a business I want to define or grow yet. What I have at the moment are generalities based on some existing skills that I am trying to figure how I can turn for use of profit quickly. It may be that my path could be using some existing Java/HMTL development skills to define a service for a need in the market. If I were to pick something that is of interest, that may fall into a online business/ecommerce or a service offering ($x per month subscription).

Once I can see what it is that can meet a CENTS evaluation successfully, I have already been wrestling with the question, "If I provide it, will they come?". The answer deep down to that is no, without a sales and marketing strategy behind it. I am seeing that no matter what could be invented or built, I don't know how to get it out there. High level, I am trying to evaluate universal (fundamental) knowledge that I can apply no matter what and then begin to zero in on specialized knowledge to tighten the bolts.

The best of me keeps coming back to three key areas to focus on:

1) Development (update skills, learn some new technology like mobile application platforms).
2) Marketing
3) Sales

For Marketing and Sales, what types of fundamental learning areas would be of value to me if I had a web site service or application to sell? SEO, online advertising models, old school sales techniques (face to face, negotiation, etc.) and new online sales techniques, etc.? I want to see a return on the education taken. You stated it so nicely to me, and love what you asked because it is a powerful question to think about, "What will help you get more customers and sales for the business you want to grow?". If I can't see how I can get a return out of the education (or payback) to satisfy this question, I more than likely do not need it.

If I may ask you for further insight to your question above with the intention to help lead me through into additional thinking.
  • What do you see are some crucial sales and marketing skills/knowledge that anyone in an online business should have or acquire to enable being more successful?
  • What have you found personally within the sales and marketing domain knowledge that has positioned your endeavors for success the most?
  • Are there any areas to stay away from that just don't deliver (time wasters, plain garbage spouted by so called "gurus")?
I believe once I finish UNSCRIPTED in the next week or two, and as I go through the exercise to sit down to evaluate potential opportunities to execute, I will be able to better answer this question, and couple it with your advice to pinpoint what education is of priority.

Sincerely,
LF
What's worked for me?

A quote from another Theresa:

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person closest to you."

There's a lot of great threads on the forum to help you get started.

May I suggest you check out the first four bolded links in my signature.

Sales wise, what works for me is "diesel and coffee". Search for thread "Spend your money on diesel and coffee".

Listen to the call I had with @Mckenzie for how simple sales can be.

Also, I'm not gonna lie... posting my content in this forum and other forums has brought me work. Not from fellow forum members as you'd expect, but from them referring me to other people.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Reading through this I don't feel you need to take any more certifications or classes. It feels more like you need a life coach or some type of retreat. Something non-technical and more broad about life in general.

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
Seriously? Have you even read TMF ? "What should I do with $X amount?" "What educational courses should I take?" Is this a troll post?

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Hi Andy,

Thank you for directing me specifically to those links at "free", doesn't get any better than that. I will continue to chew on this for sure.

Sincerely,
LF

What's worked for me?

A quote from another Theresa:

"Never worry about numbers. Help one person at a time, and always start with the person closest to you."

There's a lot of great threads on the forum to help you get started.

May I suggest you check out the first four bolded links in my signature.

Sales wise, what works for me is "diesel and coffee". Search for thread "Spend your money on diesel and coffee".

Listen to the call I had with @Mckenzie for how simple sales can be.

Also, I'm not gonna lie... posting my content in this forum and other forums has brought me work. Not from fellow forum members as you'd expect, but from them referring me to other people.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Hi biophase,

You are right on the certifications that the world keeps demanding, enough has to be enough - just one more certification and I am good for a job right? I used to have a few mentors to bounce some of life's bigger things around with, but it has been several years . I believe once I close on some immediate needs, I can broaden to the big picture as to what you have mentioned that influences the directions to take.

Sincerely,
LF

Reading through this I don't feel you need to take any more certifications or classes. It feels more like you need a life coach or some type of retreat. Something non-technical and more broad about life in general.

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Hi Van Halen,

It is a serious question. I promise I am not trying to purposely be disrespectful or ignorant to the community. I can see how my initial request could come across as fitting into the "Hall of Lame" postings. What I am observing is some lead coaching @Andy Black that is being exercised by the community to help me think and determine how to correctly position myself for FL. Even @Xavier X established the right setup of what will you do once you acquire it.

I may be wrong in saying this, but the better part of me says to not leave money on the table, unless there is just a very good reason to leave money on the table (because an Indiana Jones "doomsday" scenario will happen if I take that stone). By sharing some of my background as I have done above from a world of corporate for 20 years, I am trying to consider different lines of thoughts, perspectives, recommendations, and advice on how to deploy that $2500 reimbursement for use into a FL business and get a return for it. Case in point, if I ask my corporate friends what I should do, it will be more certifications, more this and more that which does nothing but reinforce being an employee. Ask a typical standard entrepreneur (who are somewhat resourceful), I get a different response, but a bias that is a narrow scoped response at best. Ask a Fastlaner like yourself, and I get challenged into more critical thinking - I enjoyed your questions that has developed into this response.

Recognized or not, I am building a box of boundaries (just some scope management or I will be driving all over the road or even off it). At the end of this process, I could walk away seeing that I have all that I need to move FL already - equipped and ready to go, leaving any gaps to close through collaborations among a mentor or community. Then the consideration becomes - if it is not a technical return I can take advantage of at this time, then it could be personal life return to take advantage of, as per the point @biophase made to me.

Much of my road is still under construction and being paved, but stay tuned as I finish my readings of UNSCRIPTED .

Sincerely,
LF

Seriously? Have you even read TMF ? "What should I do with $X amount?" "What educational courses should I take?" Is this a troll post?

Last edited:

LiveFire

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
111%
Jun 17, 2017
Aside from a few topics that interest me (establishing a Consulting Business), I have priced out that I am going to take advantage of opening up a new path into a non-technical core area with Real Estate, though technology still plays a part. I have pegged some prices for course, materials, and licensing to fit in no more than $1000. The remaining $1500, I will keep in reserve for any education required as I build along to close gaps. Thanks for walking this through with me. The discussion has led me to consider an area that I have been interested in, but didn't give much consideration to until now. Thanks all!

Sincerely,
LF

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.