The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need to take better control of our importing process

Anything related to sourcing or importing products.

Jeffakston

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 19, 2020
New Orleans
We have been having the Chinese manufacturer just handle getting us the products but it’s not a transparent process and often I have no idea where my products are for 1-2 weeks during transit/customs/etc

What are some companies I should be looking at to better centralize that for all my vendors so I can have better visibility? We b likely would have 10-15 shipments annually across 3-4 vendors. Shipments will range from a few pallets to a shipping container

I’m in the southeast US so it would make sense to have someone there or in the west coast. I have previously worked with a company called Deringer who was.... fine but I have to assume there’s someone better and more tech savvy

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
Rather than rely on Chinese freight forwarder chosen by your suppliers you need a local freight forwarder. I would never use a Chinese freight forwarder.

Deringer's primary focus for many years has been on Customs brokerage, but they expanded a few years back to include freight forwarding.

It strikes me that they are a bit old fashioned.

There are many freight forwarders to choose from and you could check out this unusual company, but ignore the Savannah in the name. Home - Savannah Port Services.

They are not themselves forwarders. They act rather like a forwarding brokerage and they can handle all the complexities involved in the industry. They will get multiple quotes for you from various forwarders whose expertise they consider most relevant to your needs.

Let me know how you get on.

Walter

Jeffakston

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Jun 19, 2020
New Orleans
Rather than rely on Chinese freight forwarder chosen by your suppliers you need a local freight forwarder. I would never use a Chinese freight forwarder.

Deringer's primary focus for many years has been on Customs brokerage, but they expanded a few years back to include freight forwarding.

It strikes me that they are a bit old fashioned.

There are many freight forwarders to choose from and you could check out this unusual company, but ignore the Savannah in the name. Home - Savannah Port Services.

They are not themselves forwarders. They act rather like a forwarding brokerage and they can handle all the complexities involved in the industry. They will get multiple quotes for you from various forwarders whose expertise they consider most relevant to your needs.

Let me know how you get on.

Walter
thanks. I will look into them. If I were to want to research other companies like that who can manage the whole process of getting my goods from all my manufacturers overseas, what is the industry type I should be looking at? I'm definitely looking for more than just Customs brokerage. Is there a broader term than "freight forwarder" that I should be using?

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
No the term Freight Forwarder is the right one to use. It would be rare to find one that does not employ a Customs broker, or at least have a regular working relationship with one.

A forwarder will tell you what you need to provide when getting a quote, but always get your quotes in writing, and all costs from door to door must be included. The only costs not included are duty and sales tax, but your forwarder should pay those on your behalf and you reimburse them before they deliver to you.

Walter

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.