The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Some "How To" E-Book Ideas In Hungry Markets

Idea threads

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
I'll be making a progress thread as soon as I get an idea for an e-book to write and sell. If you read my other thread then you'll know that I'm 40 and have hit rock bottom financially and just about every other thing too.

It's a great new opportunity though - to do things right this time.

Anyways, I've sold a few hundred thousand dollar's worth of a "How To Start A Blog" ebook back in 2009 and it sold for a year or so after that (until it got totally outdated).

So I know how to get info and write a good book when I have an idea.

Now I'd like to give myself a 30 day challenge to pick 1 idea, write the book (7 days) and make sales.

I don't have money for marketing so I'll have to go the "free route" (articles, forums, etc.).

Ok...

Ideas? And what advice can you give to find them.

Thanks in advance. I'm slowly getting out of my depression and just need to get working on a simple how-to course to get my brain and blood flowing again.

Thank you all for the wonderful forum. I can't wait to afford the INSIDERS's fee.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OnlineGodfather

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Feb 4, 2013
So from what you wrote i got this, you made an ebook, were seling it quite good since it seems you made good money, spend all of the money i pressume since you dont have any money for marketing it which i highly doubt since facebook really doesnt need big budgets to test things out and now you are here waiting for someone to gie you ideas for new book to do the same again?

Did i miss something? Am i tottaly wrong?

But here are the ideas that need to get some proper minds to go into(taken from Ryan Allis 1,284 slides):

Energy & Environment: solar, wind, biofules, sustainable city planning,
Health & Wellness: syntehtic biology, brain mapping, optogenetics, personalized medicine, reverse aging, bionic eyesight, low cost sanitation, mindfulness training,
Financial Access: mobile banking, frontier market finance, digital currency, digital wallets,
Food & Water: synthetic food production, vertical farming, agTech, water desalination
Engineering: clean transportation, self-driving cars, robotics, space exploration, 3d printing, nanotechnology, long life batteries, low cost housing,
Computing: quantum computing, converged smartphones, data storage on DNA, artifical intelligence, contact lens smartphones, natural user interfaces, government 2.0, cybersecurity, climate engineering, wearable computers&HUDs, internet of things
Education: cloud education, low cost schooling, leadership training, network building,

Beside that, you can always start writing ebooks on how to make money, fitness, diet, etc.. evergreen niches.

Steven Parker

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Jul 13, 2014
uhhhhhhhhhh
How To Write and Sell A Few Hundred Thousand Dollars Worth of Ebooks

1 major reasons: Honesty - I can never lie for money again.

The whole book was a lie. Yes it was GREAT, but I was selfish and full of shit. I started threads in forums all over the place of my blog was making $XX,XXX a month and it stirred a whole lot of buzz.

But it was a lie.

I never had a blog, never even built one up until then.

I was doing a social experiment and before I knew it I was getting a ton of pressure to write and sell a book on how I did it.

Then it gets worse. The book was 150 pages of stuff I just ripped from other marketers.

I still feel terrible about it. For example when it came to writing blog content for SEO, I just bought a bunch of other "guru" ebooks on SEO and content and just rewrote it in my words. I did this for everything in the book.

I could never write a "How To" book with these instructions.

I will never be dishonest again, never. I'm ashamed, lost sleep and karma came back to bite me in the a$$ now. But like I said, it's a new start. I have another chance to learn from my mistakes.

PLEASE DON'T HATE - I'M BEING VERY HONEST HERE AND HAVE PAID MY DUES FOR SUCH BAD KARMA, NOW I'M TRYING TO DO THINGS RIGHT THIS TIME.

tekcraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
I think you are being too hard on yourself...you provided information that people found valuable enough to exchange money for. If you want to move away from "make money online" type of stuff, that is fine but don't beat yourself up so much about it. There are a lot of scammy things out there in that niche and a lot of people do a lot worse, bringing in many multiples more money.

I do agree that taking other people's content and claiming it as your own was unethical but a lot of the knowledge in the niche is regurgitated anyway so it probably wasnt totally original content. Still no excuse but don't let the past affect your future. Learn from it and move on.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

SeanKelly

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
63%
Aug 8, 2012
What you've accomplished in the past is impressive, but honestly I think you should look into other opportunities. It seems like everyone nowadays is trying to make their fortunes by writing and selling the next great ebook, white labeling a supplement, or importing from alibaba and selling on amazon. However, even if they do find success it usually comes to an abrupt end when competitors catch on or the current trends change. Build a business that will last and provide you with freedom for years to come. Quick money is not always a good thing.

MattL

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
211%
Jan 31, 2014
Finland
Just a thought...

Like other people have said, e-books are very much a "me-too" business and I think it's safe to say that the market is heavily saturated.....for books written in English...

Have You thought about writing a book in English and then paying someone to translate it to some other language...? Where the market isn't as saturated as it is in English.

You can probably find some cheap freelancers on sites like Odesk, Elance, Freelancer.com or Fiverr...

Lex DeVille

Sweeping Shadows From Dreams
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
597%
Jan 14, 2013
Utah
This is the slowlane and he already said he's rock bottom financially. For that reason I think writing an ebook is a great place to start. As for the topic? I suggest starting with something you know about. How about an ebook on how to write an ebook and fail epically. Or an ebook on how to make a $100k and lose it very fast. Find something you have knowledge of and put a twist on it. Get a little creative.

If you need money then you need to start writing ASAP because it takes 60 days from your first sale to even get money on Amazon. There are plenty of threads in the self-publishing section that will help you with ideas for free marketing, genre selection and more, so get over there and start reading. The questions you're asking have already been answered several times over.

Forget depression because there's no room for it if you want to succeed. Browse the how-to section at Amazon and see what else is selling. Then write something similar. Realize that it will probably take a couple months to build up a semi-full to full-time income, but if you're willing to put in the time and effort the chances are good that you'll be rewarded.

Are ebooks Fastlane? That's debatable, but Self-Publishing is a path to the Fastlane, if you're willing to figure out how to give people what they want.

Lauryn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
185%
Jul 11, 2013
Dallas, TX
Everything @SinisterLex said.

ETA: Google EasyPLR and look up Google Trends. Also look at top nonfiction books on Amazon. What strikes your interests enough to spend hours compiling notes in the bookstore and library?

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Find a problem that people are willing to pay to have solved. (hint: Top 100 lists in non-fiction on Amazon). Write a unique/better book showing how to solve that problem, preferably from personal experience. Promote.

pickeringmt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
364%
Apr 24, 2014
Dude, a desire to be ethical is great, but it is silly to think that you need to reinvent the wheel to write a how to book

I am sure that your process really wasn't much different than every other author out there.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I think you are being too hard on yourself...you provided information that people found valuable enough to exchange money for.

Uh, no. He made that money in part by being dishonest and outright lying. He should be hard on himself. He's learned a lesson and is better for it.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The whole book was a lie. Yes it was GREAT, but I was selfish and full of shit. I started threads in forums all over the place of my blog was making $XX,XXX a month and it stirred a whole lot of buzz.
But it was a lie.

Ahh, relax -- some of the lurkers around here might just call that good marketing.

PLEASE DON'T HATE - I'M BEING VERY HONEST HERE AND HAVE PAID MY DUES FOR SUCH BAD KARMA, NOW I'M TRYING TO DO THINGS RIGHT THIS TIME.

I commend you for that. Thank you for sharing your challenge.

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
I'm doing something similar at the moment here's some ideas

Health information
Nutrition
Herbs
Exercise
Yoga

Business tips
Home Business
Marketing
Sales
How to save money

How to be a better leader
How to be a better manager

Dating
How to have a better marriage

Sex tips

How to improve your communication skills

Public speaking

How to stop smoking

How to fish
Billiards
Racquetball
how to bowl
how to golf
tennis

Dog training
Horse training
How to get your parrot to talk

Gambling
Poker
Graps
Dice Games
How to win at the races
Chess
Bridge

Astrology

Calligraphy

How to cope with alzheimers

Time management

Goal setting

How to study how to do well in school how to cheat in school how to have an easier school/college life

How to have a better memory

How to speedread

How to copywrite

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
But it was a lie.
I was doing a social experiment and before I knew it I was getting a ton of pressure to write and sell a book on how I did it.
Then it gets worse. The book was 150 pages of stuff I just ripped from other marketers.

Perhaps you can write about your awakening? Come clean with what you did? What you learned? How you did it? Why you did it? And why you are now seeking a different path? "How I Fooled The World... And Why I Ended Up the Fool"

Your experience is usually a great basis to write passionately.

John Page

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 7, 2014
Argentina
Just a thought...

Like other people have said, e-books are very much a "me-too" business and I think it's safe to say that the market is heavily saturated.....for books written in English...

Have You thought about writing a book in English and then paying someone to translate it to some other language...? Where the market isn't as saturated as it is in English.

You can probably find some cheap freelancers on sites like Odesk, Elance, Freelancer.com or Fiverr...

I never thought of such an obvious idea.

I speak and read/write English as a second language. But Spanish is my native language. I'm writing an ebook on physical self-maintenance and now that you mention this, I think I could write it in both (I'll need someone to proofread the English version, I suck at it).

I have no idea if there is a market for ebooks in Spanish though... Will check it out.

I just wanted to thank you for the idea.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
1 major reasons: Honesty - I can never lie for money again.

But it was a lie.

I still feel terrible about it. For example when it came to writing blog content for SEO, I just bought a bunch of other "guru" ebooks on SEO and content and just rewrote it in my words. I did this for everything in the book.

I could never write a "How To" book with these instructions.

I will never be dishonest again, never. I'm ashamed, lost sleep and karma came back to bite me in the a$$ now. But like I said, it's a new start. I have another chance to learn from my mistakes.

mate, you provided serious value.

people bought your book. some started an online business. im sure you impacted a lot of people (if you made 100000s of dollars) and no doubt, you helped change somebody's life.

if you can change someone's life for the better, then don't feel bad about it. focus on the helping you've done. anyway, no one here can be your fastlance surrogate.

what can you write of value? what do you know a lot about?

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
I have no idea if there is a market for ebooks in Spanish though... Will check it out.

if there isn't a market now, there WILL be. english is the market ahead of all other markets on the internet. publishing content in another language - especially a relatively minor language - is a huge boon for your market dominance. [HASHTAG]#entrycommandment[/HASHTAG]

i hope to break into the Spanish market in the next couple of years once I'm more adroit with Spanish after living in South america.

why? There are A LOT of niches that are saturated in English that are virgin territory in Spanish, and this is SO MUCH MORE TRUE for smaller languages which don't now have such a large internet presence.

get in now while it's relatively easy. i know I will shortly - once i can actually use the language in the way i need to lol

John Page

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 7, 2014
Argentina
if there isn't a market now, there WILL be. english is the market ahead of all other markets on the internet. publishing content in another language - especially a relatively minor language - is a huge boon for your market dominance. [HASHTAG]#entrycommandment[/HASHTAG]

i hope to break into the Spanish market in the next couple of years once I'm more adroit with Spanish after living in South america.

why? There are A LOT of niches that are saturated in English that are virgin territory in Spanish, and this is SO MUCH MORE TRUE for smaller languages which don't now have such a large internet presence.

get in now while it's relatively easy. i know I will shortly - once i can actually use the language in the way i need to lol

Great! Good luck with your Spanish language endeavors.

chrischapman

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Aug 3, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Great! Good luck with your Spanish language endeavors.

haha thanks. writing spanish to make $$ is definitely not my main goal, mainly a byproduct of me learning Spanish. Prinicpally i want to learn it so i can live in a south american country where the lifestyle is great/cheap and people are nice. I don't really like Western culture for various reasons and prefer to live somewhere else than Australia or UK/USA/Canada - theyre all the same imo.

Javier

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 8, 2014
Doesn't matter what the book is about, gotta be able to market it. Everything is mega-saturated now. People don't easily shell out cash for online courses like they used to. Don't think Spanish is a piece of cake either and the target audience is much poorer.

Javier

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 8, 2014
Ah yeah, like someone else said, don't look for a cashcow ebook, build a lasting presence in something.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
What you've accomplished in the past is impressive, but honestly I think you should look into other opportunities. It seems like everyone nowadays is trying to make their fortunes by writing and selling the next great ebook, white labeling a supplement, or importing from alibaba and selling on amazon. However, even if they do find success it usually comes to an abrupt end when competitors catch on or the current trends change. Build a business that will last and provide you with freedom for years to come. Quick money is not always a good thing.

TIMELESS :)

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.