The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

NEED HELP WITH PLAN

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Hey guys,

My general goal- source something from the States and export it to where I'm from to sell it.

Take for example I look for used electronics recycling centers of suppliers and then get a deal with them then find buyers from home and sell them my U.S. Goods.

This is a very general idea that has no structure to it so I'm uncertain of where I should start. I'm having a process like this in my mind- Cold call suppliers and get the best price, get a transportation broker to export the goods to home and then sell them to buyers.

If any of you have any opinion on how I can start or would like to share your story do feel welcomed to reply!

- Ben

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
Start by finding someone who wants what it is that you are selling... wait... what is it that you are selling again?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Customers / sales first. Find a need.

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
The need is there and there are customers. My dad had been in this industry for a good 19 years, he has buyers but there's only a few suppliers back home so he and competitors are always bidding with higher prices so competition is high.

So I was thinking if I find suppliers here, we could be like the existing big dogs supplying to the resellers.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
What's more difficult?

1. Trying to explain to newbies that you're going to have a tough time by trying to be a "me too" business

...or

2. Actually trying to create a "me too" business?

All joking aside my friend like these guys have already said you need to start with a specific need. Saying you want to import "something" and sell "something" and saying that people buy stuff sometimes doesn't directly translate to a need.

MJ put it best a long time ago: either find a need that isn't being solved or do it better than everyone else.

That "better than everyone else" is your USP (unique selling proposition).

I'm sure we all get excited when we hear about several people on this forum who import and sell products... but they found a real need in the market, there's opportunity in those markets... For example:

A.) you couldn't get your hands on a particular product (so they found a way to get it to people)
B.) you COULD get the product but it sucked/broke/didn't work (so they created a superior product)
C.) you COULD get the product and it IS good (so they found ways to improve it, change the offer, add more value, etc.)

So, you've already eluded to it... you need some clarity here. What do you intend to sell and why that? Does it fit in one of these three above?

P.S. This is where the WORK comes in... the majority of people will never sit and do the endless hours of product research it takes to figure out where you fit in the market.

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
I intend to sell used computers, and the reason behind that is because unlike U.S. South East Asia has a lot of developing countries that aren't as advanced in technology so there's a constant need for used electronics from advanced countries.

There's three suppliers in my country so they basically monopolize the industry. The prices are high and they provide bad service (selling shipments with a lot of faulty units, delaying shipments to customers), so my usp can be both price and service.

There are ready buyers available but the thing I'm having trouble with is finding the right supplier. The first "deal" I did in was on alibaba and the supplier conned me of $6.5k. I hope anyone that has experience in what I'm facing would kindly shed some light on this.

-Ben

Mr.B

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Nov 8, 2014
Australia
There are ready buyers available but the thing I'm having trouble with is finding the right supplier.

I don't know if this would work, but have you considered starting a technology recycling service in the U.S.?

People get rid of old computers that work fine every day...

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
I don't know if this would work, but have you considered starting a technology recycling service in the U.S.?

People get rid of old computers that work fine every day...
It is not what I had in mind but that's a good idea though it's hard for me as a foreigner to establish a recycling center here in U.S. so the best way is probably to buy from local suppliers here.

-Ben

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Calling all wantprenuers who are having trouble with an idea!!! @Benjiben needs used computers / technology. Go to 'Inbox' on the top right and 'Start a Conversation'.

Kung Fu Steve

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Jul 8, 2008
Road Warrior
Sorry about the 6.5k -- I'm sure it was frustrating.

Some food for thought...

On price:

I'm curious how you would compete on price? I'm not sure what country you mean by "SE Asia" but China has no shortage of old out-of-date technology sitting around, just go to any mall and you'll find (literally) stacks upon stacks... I loved the fax machines...

My guess is that the price is high not because of the quality of the technology but because of the distribution costs (as with most countries). Not sure what tax, customs, and other fees are like importing IN to SE Asian countries but my guess is they aren't cheap.

Buying something and reselling something are one thing... getting it into the hands of the customer is another -- especially when dealing with people you don't know/don't trust.

So the question is: can you really compete on price?

On Service:

This is hard to translate because it's what we call a platitude. Basically something that everyone says and it loses all meaning. I think every business on the planet has at one point said "we offer the best service, biggest selection, and lowest prices!"

Well... the vast majority of them lied. So when going up against your 3 competitors they are ALL going to say they have the best service. So you have a couple of scenarios for customer acquisition:

1.) Somebody is looking for used electronics. There's basically a 25% chance they find you (if you're marketing actively).
2.) Somebody is pissed off at one of the other electronics companies but they NEED something so they approach you.

Depending on how bad their need is, they may just give up after the first try (which means you may never get a shot to sell them).

To compete on service you'll have to find the 1-3 biggest pain points the other companies cause.

"Are you tired of your electronics showing up broken? We guarantee your electronics work or we'll send you a new one!"
"Are you sick of slow delivery times for your electronics? We make sure it's there within 3 days!"

Those are kind of cheesy but I hope you get the idea.

I'm excited to see what you come up with!

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Thanks Steve, I'll take some time to research the market and find my own USP.
-Ben

Benjiben

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
131%
Sep 21, 2014
Springfield, MO
Sorry about the 6.5k -- I'm sure it was frustrating.

Some food for thought...

On price:

I'm curious how you would compete on price? I'm not sure what country you mean by "SE Asia" but China has no shortage of old out-of-date technology sitting around, just go to any mall and you'll find (literally) stacks upon stacks... I loved the fax machines...

My guess is that the price is high not because of the quality of the technology but because of the distribution costs (as with most countries). Not sure what tax, customs, and other fees are like importing IN to SE Asian countries but my guess is they aren't cheap.

Buying something and reselling something are one thing... getting it into the hands of the customer is another -- especially when dealing with people you don't know/don't trust.

So the question is: can you really compete on price?

On Service:

This is hard to translate because it's what we call a platitude. Basically something that everyone says and it loses all meaning. I think every business on the planet has at one point said "we offer the best service, biggest selection, and lowest prices!"

Well... the vast majority of them lied. So when going up against your 3 competitors they are ALL going to say they have the best service. So you have a couple of scenarios for customer acquisition:

1.) Somebody is looking for used electronics. There's basically a 25% chance they find you (if you're marketing actively).
2.) Somebody is pissed off at one of the other electronics companies but they NEED something so they approach you.

Depending on how bad their need is, they may just give up after the first try (which means you may never get a shot to sell them).

To compete on service you'll have to find the 1-3 biggest pain points the other companies cause.

"Are you tired of your electronics showing up broken? We guarantee your electronics work or we'll send you a new one!"
"Are you sick of slow delivery times for your electronics? We make sure it's there within 3 days!"

Those are kind of cheesy but I hope you get the idea.

I'm excited to see what you come up with!
Steve, after a few weeks of cold calling for buyers I found out that this was just a "me too" attempt to start a business. I'll take a step back and divert my time into copywriting, partly to earn some pocket money during college and to get more experience to sell with words.

Thanks for the advice and faith you had in me! I will notify you the moment a need is fulfilled by I.

-Ben

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!