The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need feedback on my idea: FTP access to dropbox

Idea threads

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
I would like to build a service that allows to use dropbox via FTP. First a user needs to link your drop box account(s) and he will get access to an FTP server. Then he will FTP files and they will be automatically sent to his dropbox.

In the future might be more options:

1. link and aggregate multiple dropbox accounts. Then users will be able to upload more data for free than dropbox allows per 1 free account.

2. link and use other service such as Google drive

3. Option to store data encrypted and split via multiple accounts. So even if someone hacks dropbox, he will not be able to get your data.

That do you think?

Thank you
M

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
EDIT: Is there a need for this. I use both FTP and Dropbox in different ways.

Most of my colleagues consider them different tools for different tasks and I'm not sure how adding FTP access to Dropbox would be beneficial.

Last edited:

hughjasle

AutoPilot
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Dec 25, 2012
Anywhere with internet
I'm trying to think of uses for this as well, my only idea would be a backup of everything on my server.

OP what else would you need FTP to Dropbox for? I'm curious as I use both daily.

DaRK9

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
May 23, 2014
It sounds like you first have an idea, then are trying to find a problem for it. It normally works the other way around.

I can already upload files via drag/drop. FTP would only add more steps tbh.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MichaelCash

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Apr 7, 2013
New York
here is the problem that I am trying to solve: I got used to FTP and I would like to use free space that dropbox/google drive give away when you open up an account. It's much easier for me to copy something over FTP using tools that I already got used to, instead of installing dropbox or google drive clients. And it's very annoying to me that dropbox/google drive don't provide FTP access. this is problem #1.

Problem #2 I want to store pretty big backups that don't fit dropbox/googledrive space that I got with a free account

Hackdroot

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Nov 11, 2014
here is the problem that I am trying to solve: I got used to FTP and I would like to use free space that dropbox/google drive give away when you open up an account. It's much easier for me to copy something over FTP using tools that I already got used to, instead of installing dropbox or google drive clients. And it's very annoying to me that dropbox/google drive don't provide FTP access. this is problem #1.

Well, since you have a desire for this function, there are probably others that have it too. But the obstacles that I can immediately see are:

1) Access to users dropbox accounts, which your would need. I would check the DB terms of service and make sure that they don't disallow third party access to users accounts.
2) Access to hundreds (if not more) DB accounts would be a security issue waiting to happen, so you better have some serious protections in place. Since dropbox access is controlled through passwords, and not PKI, you would need to store credentials for each account you need to access. It would be a PR nightmare, not to mention a huge liability, if you were compromised.
3) All it would take to kill your service is for DB to roll out FTP access. This violates 'control'.

If nothing else the barriers for entry are high. I would first determine if there is enough interest though since there are plenty of other file sharing and storage solutions that do support FTP access.

Problem #2 I want to store pretty big backups that don't fit dropbox/googledrive space that I got with a free account

I've been a sysadmin for over 25 years for some big companies. If you're using FTP for backups, you're using the wrong tool for the job.

FTP does not have built in functions for differential or incremental backups. You would need to roll that in to your custom client.

FTP does not provide built in mechanisms for data integrity checking. Unless your using SFTP or SCP, which provide packet integrity checking, you will have to roll your own checksum into the utility, which means a custom client once again.

FTP transmits data openly on ports 20 and 21, which makes it easy to intercept. Your clients authentication and data would not be safe in transit. Once again, using encrypted SFTP protocol solves this, but adds overhead.

You mentioned Google drive, which will sync folders. This is a far better solution to a hands free backup than messing with FTP. If I were to use any command line tool to back up data, it would be rsync done over ssh to be honest. It solves most of the problems I've outlined above.

Good luck if you do decide to pursue this. I don't mean to discourage you, but to lend my professional experience to your project.

Andrew Ward

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Nov 29, 2015
Birmingham, UK
I'm not convinced that it solves a problem that other combinations of technologies don't already do better.

Dropbox to FTP could be an interesting one as I know not everyone likes to use version control tools such as GIT to deploy their code. Or what about if you allowed certain folders on the server to synchronise via dropbox. For a simple dev live environment you could then use this method to easily synchronise larger files and image assets between live and production servers (e.g. the stuff you would normally git ignore). There are solutions for this kind of thing already (e.g. rsync on a cron) but for your small time developer in the right environment I would imagine it could generate some interest as it would also send the files to your local machine in theory.

Or why not go one step further and make your own service for synchronising git ignored resources between servers, backing up etc. Sometimes you may want files uploaded to live to get copied to test, but not the other way around for example. Maybe there is an opportunity hiding in there somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jon L

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
272%
Aug 22, 2015
Bellevue, WA
the major problem with ideas like this is that this is a feature, not a product. If it catches on, Dropbox WILL start offering it themselves, and your product will instantly lose its reason for existing. That, or, Dropbox sees you as competition and starts messing with their API in an effort to break your product. Your best hope is that it isn't wildly successful, and stays just below the radar, or you can somehow assemble such a variety of useful features that Dropbox will buy you out at some point.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.