The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Need Advice-How to make prototype of a product

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
I have an idea but am not sure how to build a prototype. It is a physical product, very simple, not electric. It would be built out of metal, aluminum and fabric. I don't really think it needs engineering as I know the dimensions, materials, etc. But I would need the plan drawn out in a format that a manufacturer could use to make it. I googled "prototype" and there are lots of expensive offers that smell kind of scammy. I just want to make a few and have people test and provide feedback. I would need this company to be able to scale it up once I settle on the exact build. It would be copied immediately, even if I trademark it, and you can't really patent it, so it would need lots of marketing to blow out the initial sales. I have that part covered. I have a pretty catchy name for it that I think would stick. If I could find out who could make it then I could find out what type of plans they need. I'm just not sure where to start...any advice is most appreciated. In the meantime I am going to contact other companies who sell similar type products and see where they have them made and how.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Could the prototype be 3D printed? That would most likely be your cheapest option.

Most companies will happily work off SketchUp or AutoCAD drawings. You can get someone to do the design relatively cheaply on Upwork, People Per Hour etc..

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Could the prototype be 3D printed? That would most likely be your cheapest option.

Most companies will happily work off SketchUp or AutoCAD drawings. You can get someone to do the design relatively cheaply on Upwork, People Per Hour etc..
Thanks! I have used UpWork and like it, that is a good idea, I will post it there and see if I get responses. Question, because I'm not that familiar with 3D printing, do you print the prototype and then send a paper version of it to the manufacturer or just an electronic file?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
hit up the local tech school or university and offer to sponsor as a project .....
in bigger cities, there are a lot of 'maker' shops ...... people who tinker and build and might be happy to help

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
Whatever the material the final product will be made from, can you test it by having it 3D printed with a plastic ? They can do metal but it's more $$.

I don't really think it needs engineering
I would need the plan drawn out in a format that a manufacturer could use to make it.

You will most likely need an engineer's help.
Depending on the material, use, quantity, etc., the engineer is needed because there are 'rules', or parameters that must be followed in order to make it. Are there safety issues involved ? Or are there certain stress points that if made incorrectly, will break ?
The manufacturing is a process and speaks the same language as the engineer.....my experience.

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks! I have used UpWork and like it, that is a good idea, I will post it there and see if I get responses. Question, because I'm not that familiar with 3D printing, do you print the prototype and then send a paper version of it to the manufacturer or just an electronic file?
Ok, just posted it on UpWork, excited to see what happens! Also contacted the company who makes the product that inspired mine, to ask who they use to manufacture. Ready, fire, aim, LOL. Let's get some failures under my belt, right?

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
hit up the local tech school or university and offer to sponsor as a project .....
in bigger cities, there are a lot of 'maker' shops ...... people who tinker and build and might be happy to help
Great thanks, I live in a great area for that, local high school and university both super successful. I will start asking around.

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Whatever the material the final product will be made from, can you test it by having it 3D printed with a plastic ? They can do metal but it's more $$.

You will most likely need an engineer's help.
Depending on the material, use, quantity, etc., the engineer is needed because there are 'rules', or parameters that must be followed in order to make it. Are there safety issues involved ? Or are there certain stress points that if made incorrectly, will break ?
The manufacturing is a process and speaks the same language as the engineer.....my experience.
That makes sense, yes, there could be safety issues. I contacted the company who made a somewhat similar type of product, thinking they have worked out some of the bugs. I assured them my product doesn't compete with theirs. They may not answer, but hoping they will.

RazorCut

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
358%
May 3, 2014
Marbella, Spain
Great thanks, I live in a great area for that, local high school and university both super successful. I will start asking around.

Also see if you have a local Hackerspace. That can be a great resource.

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Also see if you have a local Hackerspace. That can be a great resource.
Thanks! I've never heard of hackerspace but will search for it. I've received a lot of proposals on UpWork this morning mostly ranging from $30-50/hour. They say it's easy to design, yay!

PJ-Mallen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 6, 2019
Thanks! I've never heard of hackerspace but will search for it. I've received a lot of proposals on UpWork this morning mostly ranging from $30-50/hour. They say it's easy to design, yay!
Just found that we DO have a hackerspace, it's looks really cool. Thanks so much for the tip!!!

danbui

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 21, 2019
Your best option is find a manufacturer that can manufacture your product. Make them sign a Non-disclosure agreement. Then they can quote you the production price and prototype price. No sense in making prototype if the production price does not make sense.

Once the price is right then you have a few options:
  1. Sign a representation agreement with them, where you get a percentage off of gross (example 30%). You should be able to get a decent percentage because it is your design, your account and your initial investment. Do not do it based on profits.
  2. Form a company and have them supply to you and you supply to your customer. Unless, you plan on building a company around your product, I advise you not to go this route. It's just not worth the headache and in the end you may end up with less net profits.
  3. Partner with the manufacturing company where you split costs and profits. You handle sales and development they handle manufacturing. You do this if you are very comfortable with the manufacturing.
Sounds like you are just starting out. If so I recommend option 1 but try to get them to invest in the design and development of the product along with prototyping. but take a smaller percentage off of gross. This way the risk is on them. But this can only happen if they really like you idea.

Good luck!

NMdad

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Aug 6, 2017
New Mexico
You might also consider making your first version or 2 or 3 yourself, with whatever parts you can find. That way, you can test (with yourself & other potential users) & refine before you pay for a design/prototype. Just slap some parts together so you can test & refine your design.

Seriously consider this. I did it with a couple physical product ideas, and it's super helpful. By making something yourself, you identify problems you wouldn't know about if you jump right to having someone else design it.

Also, with designers/engineers, they can look at your idea & say if it's feasible, but they can't answer whether it's a good idea (the market will tell you that) or be able to uncover problems that you'd find if you make & test it yourself. Plus, they have a financial incentive to say, "Yeah--what a great idea, that's totally do-able!"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.