The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Nearly 40, father of 3, onto the fast lane.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Hey all,

A bit of background by way of introduction:

I'm in my late 30s and I'm responsible for my wife and 3 boys.

Several years ago I left a "good job" as a financial advisor at a bank to join a well-known MLM - Primerica.

When that inevitably ended in failure, I tried my hand at my own business. I had some success, but nothing that made me free.

A few years ago I decided to learn programming, and I've been working as a software developer ever since.

That was the best professional decision I've ever made.

Not long ago I was sacrificed in a round of layoffs at a local start up. The investors needed costs cut, and I was one of the unfortunate that lost the lottery.

Despite working extremely hard and producing great work, I had no control over my fate with the company. They didn't get the funding they wanted and couldn't afford me.

Lucky for me, my skill set is in demand, so I could easily move into another developer role, but I don't think that would do much to get me where I want to be.

With that in mind, I've decided to focus on producing something I control.

Both books have really resonated with me, and the future looks bright.

That's it.

tag @MJ DeMarco Thanks for writing some great books.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

cutthroughstatic

I Buy Cars
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
326%
Mar 13, 2015
SoCal --> Richmond, VA
Not long ago I was sacrificed in a round of layoffs at a local start up. The investors needed costs cut, and I was one of the unfortunate that lost the lottery.

Despite working extremely hard and producing great work, I had no control over my fate. Of course, I don't expect that would be any different at another tech company.

You had 100% control over your fate. You chose to work for that company and relinquish power over your own employment. Take ownership of the layoff. It's not a bad thing, it sounds like working for that company allowed you to learn and hone good skills. But just take responsibility for everything that happens in your life, because it all is in your hands and you have control over it.

Welcome to the forum. So the books resonated with you. What's next now?

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Hey all,

Here I am.

I'm in my late 30s and I'm responsible for my wife and 3 boys.

Several years ago I left a "good job" as a financial advisor at a bank to join a well-known MLM - Primerica.

When that inevitably ended in failure, I tried my hand at my own business. I had some success, but nothing that made me free.

A few years ago I decided to learn programming, and I've been working as a software developer ever since.

That was the best professional decision I've ever made.

Despite working extremely hard and producing great work, I had no control over my fate. Of course, I don't expect that would be any different at another tech company.

Both books have really resonated with me.

I've decided this is the perfect opportunity to start creating things for myself to get onto the fast lane.

That's it.

tag @MJ DeMarco Thanks for writing some great books.

oh sweety we all live and learn you'll be more than ok i believe in you

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
You had 100% control over your fate. You chose to work for that company and relinquish power over your own employment. Take ownership of the layoff. It's not a bad thing, it sounds like working for that company allowed you to learn and hone good skills. But just take responsibility for everything that happens in your life, because it all is in your hands and you have control over it.

Welcome to the forum. So the books resonated with you. What's next now?

Hey, thanks for the response.

When I said I had no control over my fate, I meant specifically with regards to whether or not I would be fired. That decision rested solely with the company execs.

As for what's next... I'm working on some personal projects that I will offer as a service soon enough.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
oh sweety we all live and learn you'll be more than ok i believe in you

Thanks :) I think I'll have to rewrite the above. I'm far from discouraged. When I was laid off, I was actually excited for the change.

Having my family to take care of is plenty of motivation, yes ;)

Tanisha

Bronze Contributor
Jun 16, 2017
sacramento
Thanks :) I think I'll have to rewrite the above. I'm far from discouraged. When I was laid off, I was actually excited for the change.

Having my family to take care of is plenty of motivation, yes ;)

just dont let that many mouths to feed cause you to become stressed, of course you cant totally stop it but make sure you have some down time just for yourself ok?

Get Right

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
477%
Jul 16, 2013
Sunny Florida
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have some good skill sets to pivot off. Dig in and ask questions!

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
Welcome welcome welcome, you're clearly recognising that these scenarios you experienced were strength-building platforms, so, it's been setting things in place for your next move. You have the drive for success and are clearly ready to work exceptionally hard to achieve it.

Excellent.

PatrickWho

Coffee-fueled Programmer
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Aug 4, 2017
Canada
Thanks for the reminder, @Tanisha :)

Before I worked as an employee I freelanced as a web developer. I remember well the stress that comes with that ;)

Thanks, @Get Right - I am grateful to have had the chance to learn software development. I think it will serve me well going forward.

Thank you @Iammelissamoore - definitely. I have learned a ton in the last few years. Combined with a solid work ethic we all need, the sky's the limit!

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...