The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Naivete is a Great Thing.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
Talked to 2 different "trying to be Entrepreneurs" over the weekend. Both young. 22 and 25, Both very ignorant.

Here are some of their comments to me..

1. I have 3 people who want to be my sales staff.. oh really, have they sold before? No.. Are they in the industry that you want to sell into (doctors), no.

2. My goal is to make $2,000 a day, every day.. Oh really, sounds great. Yea then move it up to 3k a day, then 4k a day..

3. I want to be an investor in small businesses and help small businesses with my expertise.. What expertise.. Oh the one I will get when I get up to 10 million in the bank.

4. I have driven a Bentley before, rides really ruff... Humm..

5. Don't you think my idea will work.. I don't have to believe, you need to believe.

6. All the money I make goes to savings, I am a shrewd investor. Humm, Oh your house is paid off, no I live at my mom and dads, and they let me drive their car while I am growing my business.. OK..

7. So what is it like making 2 million a year?

8. I have owned a business before, I know what to do. (this is hands down one of my favorite lines people tell me)

No wonder parents want most of you to go get jobs..

These guys told me nothing that created value for the customer. Nothing. They were all about how much money they were going to make and how easy it was going to be.

If this is you. STOP. Sell one thing, then another, then another..

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
The red pill is not swallowed easily.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is one of my favorite thread posts ever.

Seriously.

I will add a few to the list over time.

But one of my favorite reoccurring themes from action fakers is :

"I have a great idea, but I don't have the time to do it. So, how about I tell you my idea, and you run with it. When it is successful, you can pull me back in..."

The first time I ever heard someone propose this to me, I almost fell out of my chair. Now, having heard various versions of this great proposal over a dozen times, nothing surprises me any more.

I have stopped trying to fix the world. Capitalism requires someone be the Subway Sandwich Artist so there is someone there to make my sandwich. Darwin's natural selection weeds the "action takers from the action fakers."

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
"I have a great idea, but I don't have the time to do it. So, how about I tell you my idea, and you run with it. When it is successful, you can pull me back in..."
Well, this is in the same league as:

"I have a great idea for a website/mobile application. I can't program. I don't have money to have it built either. You build it and we share profits."

Right next to:

"I have this idea. I can't tell you what it is. Sign an NDA and Non-Compete. I don't want you stealing my idea." Trust me, you will find out the great idea is a copy of facebook, but with red color instead of blue. Or the next instagram or pinterest. No experience, knowledge or funding to even try it.

deepestblue

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
52%
Jun 11, 2011
Arizona
"I have this idea. I can't tell you what it is. Sign an NDA and Non-Compete. I don't want you stealing my idea."

Always a classic :) What they likely don't realize is their idea is worth less than nothing no matter what it is. It's all in the implementation. It's about about serving a marketplace; helping people achieve things; this fact escapes some. As MJ says, process vs. event. The event of some dude buying a lux car was the result of a tedious unsexy process.

JEdwards

Legendary Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jan 16, 2011
Texas
"I have a great idea for a website/mobile application. I can't program. I don't have money to have it built either. You build it and we share profits."

Getting web site, programming done is like a cat and mouse game.

I always come up with ideas I want to try, Mostly off web, but some on.

I have done all 3, gave equity, gave a salary, and hired someone off elance.

The guy I gave equity to didn't understand the details in actually creating a working business model. Just because the website is there, does not mean the website sells. There are always changes and more changes once you start selling it.

The guy I gave a salary to, Paid him If I recall 25 an hour, He sat around mostly and complained on why he is not earning $40 an hour like he was at his last job. Kept him way to long.

Biggest problem with me, is I do not want to take the time to learn, or understand why things work the way they do. I just want to open and sell.

I guess I will be stuck in this cat and mouse game for a long time.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I guess I will be stuck in this cat and mouse game for a long time.

Not necessarily.

You need:

1. Money - Funding

2. Knowledge - Know how

3. Time

In your case, you bring a lot of knowledge about businesses in general. Proven record. You do know-how.

May be lacking in the technical detail, but you can fund it and get somebody to deliver.

And the funding also helps you to buy some expert's time to work on it.

I do not see it as negatively as you do, in your position (well, based on the little I know about you from the forum).

Dezzamondo

Indefatigable
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Mar 11, 2012
Worcester, UK
It seems to be a common theme amongst most people around, full of beans and ambition, but lacking the self discipline and drive to make the first step and actually do something towards their goal.

Nice post Jack

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
This is awesome. Especially as a young guy who has embarrassed himself talking to people about his projects and aspirations. Speed+

I watch mohammedabshaun's videos on YouTube. His message is 'Start at the bottom and grow to the top'. I think these guys don't understand that concept: they believe that the only way to get to the top is to start at the top. In fact, I don't think these guys know there IS a bottom.

My goal is to get a single customer and as such should be everyone's goal.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Literally almost brings a tear to the eye to see someone who at 18 REALLY GETS IT. Very cool. Speed+. You'll do well.

Thanks, man. It means a lot. At the end of the day, it's not a business unless you HAVE business.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
Started a new business a week ago, and now, as of today I have business. 6 sales, but it's an incredible feeling...

EastWind

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
34%
Oct 31, 2009
USA
Everyone gotta start somewhere, at leas they are thinking of it.
I rather a kid dream of starting their own business than think a business is the worst thing to get into.
Sure, they might fail, but if they are willing to fail enough times, they will learn, learn not to fail.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Started a new business a week ago, and now, as of today I have business. 6 sales, but it's an incredible feeling...

Good stuff! I have... no business. Just potential clients and a decent amount of traffic (7500+ hits in three weeks!)

My product is set to be launched in beta by the end of the month so I can actually test it. I'm probably being too prudent with it but I want to make sure it will work.

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
These guys told me nothing that created value for the customer. Nothing. They were all about how much money they were going to make and how easy it was going to be.

Total Wantrapreneur Symptoms. Selfish and narcissistic mental masturbation(I want money! I want nice car and clothes!) will not do squat for you as an Entrepreneur.

A real Entrepreneur has a Superhero mentality; always looking how he can solve problems, improve something or make life easier for STRANGERS.

People forget the value equation of money exchange in economics/entrepreneurship: Product/Service(value that is NEEDED by consumers)=Cash Money. Your job is to focus on the left side. Otherwise you are wasting your time and valuable mental resources such as focus and thought.

one more time lmao:
Product/Service(value that is NEEDED by consumers)=Cash Money
The job of the consumer is to focus on the RIGHT side of the equation, NOT your job:eusa_naughty:. And the job of the producer is to focus on the LEFT :eusa_clap:.

Do YOUR DAMN JOB!!!

hatterasguy

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
9%
Jul 29, 2008
Lol, lots of dreamers, only what 2% make more than a mill a year.

Rain

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
39%
Apr 5, 2011
I have a friend who just told me today, "I have an app idea and, if you develop it, I guarantee it will make you millions."

He has never earned more than $20,000 in a single year, and has upwards of $100,000 of student loan debt to his name.

I've also heard him make million-dollar "guarantees" on past business ideas, and nothing has ever happened.

Will it always be this way? Who knows. One day he may very well make shit happen.

But when he claims to have the next ground-breaking idea, I won't be betting on it.

Edit: Sorry, forgot the point of the whole post, lol.

Just like there are people who don't have big dreams, there are also people who have big dreams that belong in a fairy tale. Both are equally useless, and I believe they should be regarded as "regular" people altogether, rather than getting grouped into potential Fastlaners and criticized. Once again, the Fastlane is clearly not for everyone, and there's nothing wrong with that. Just don't waste your time with dreamers; they can waste as much of their own time as they'd like.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Total Wantrapreneur Symptoms. Selfish and narcissistic mental masturbation(I want money! I want nice car and clothes!) will not do squat for you as an Entrepreneur.

A real Entrepreneur has a Superhero mentality; always looking how he can solve problems, improve something or make life easier for STRANGERS.

People forget the value equation of money exchange in economics/entrepreneurship: Product/Service(value that is NEEDED by consumers)=Cash Money. Your job is to focus on the left side. Otherwise you are wasting your time and valuable mental resources such as focus and thought.

one more time lmao:
Product/Service(value that is NEEDED by consumers)=Cash Money
The job of the consumer is to focus on the RIGHT side of the equation, NOT your job. And the job of the producer is to focus on the LEFT .

Do YOUR DAMN JOB!!!

This might be one of the BEST posts ever made here.

Thank you.

I just printed this out, just as a daily reminder of why we do what we do and where our focus as a company needs to be.

Sue

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
I just printed this out, just as a daily reminder of why we do what we do and where our focus as a company needs to be.

I recently toured the facility a successful start up and one of the things I noticed is that they put these plastic posters around the walls stating their "company values" for all employees to see. And one of the things a poster said was "we strive to provide value to our clients".

Do you think that company would be successful if it said: "we strive to take out clients money". lol I actually chuckled while typing this because it sounds so silly and ridiculous lol.

bell12

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 29, 2011
Like someone said earlier, it is good they are dreaming at least, as some people have no ambition at all.. They could have also been intimidated by you if you are successful and trying to be on your level haha.

futhey

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
12%
Jun 18, 2012
I know this is going to sound pointless, but I can't post the details yet. I'll know sooner or later though whether my venture has been a success or a failure, and I'll be sure to post my story either way. Worst case scenario someone else may help me learn from it.

I'm branding a generic product manufactured in China and distributing it to a very specific market segment in the US. There is a need for this product and in China, Brazil, Russia, etc. this exact product has great market penetration (in my specific market segment).

Because of this, I know the barrier to entry for my product is low enough that several larger US firms with much more capital to work with must have evaluated this product in early 2011, but decided (for some reason) that the market in the US was not lucrative enough. So I know I will probably catch their attention if I am even moderately successful. However I am confident that if I move quickly enough, my superior knowledge of (and position in) the segment of the market I am targeting will give me a competitive advantage.

Sorry to hijack another thread with my story but my post seemed to draw a lot of interest.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
I really, really like:

"I've thought of that years ago! That guy (on tv, internet, news) took my idea and cashed in!"

D

DeletedUser2

Great one Jack.

one of the ones I get is,

I have 5 projects going, and 3 more im starting next week, then as they all grow, Ill take the money, and put it into the rest, to grow them, so I don't need investors, I can just grow all of them at the same time, and they will feed each other.

or the occasional, I saw this guy do it, so i can too, and just do it cheaper, and take all his customers, and that usually leads into how he will be spending all that cash....

UGH....

just crazy talk

Z

D

DeletedUser2

I know this is going to sound pointless, but I can't post the details yet. I'll know sooner or later though whether my venture has been a success or a failure, and I'll be sure to post my story either way. Worst case scenario someone else may help me learn from it.

I'm branding a generic product manufactured in China and distributing it to a very specific market segment in the US. There is a need for this product and in China, Brazil, Russia, etc. this exact product has great market penetration (in my specific market segment).

Because of this, I know the barrier to entry for my product is low enough that several larger US firms with much more capital to work with must have evaluated this product in early 2011, but decided (for some reason) that the market in the US was not lucrative enough. So I know I will probably catch their attention if I am even moderately successful. However I am confident that if I move quickly enough, my superior knowledge of (and position in) the segment of the market I am targeting will give me a competitive advantage.

Sorry to hijack another thread with my story but my post seemed to draw a lot of interest.

I cant tell,

is he serious? or just a really good troll post?

Z

Lucas Reis

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
5%
Aug 19, 2012
São Paulo, Brazil
Thanks you for the post JackEdwards. As a young person, I feel these kind of comments and posts very helpful.
Puts a lot into perspective. But to be true it is really hard to stop day dreaming and really do something.
Thats why there's so many actionfakers..

Pinnacle

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Oct 29, 2007
Edmond, Oklahoma
This is one of my favorite thread posts ever.

Seriously.

I will add a few to the list over time.

But one of my favorite reoccurring themes from action fakers is :

Honestly, Vigilante, you actually heard a real person say this? It is astounding that someone would say something this stupid.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
I cant tell,

is he serious? or just a really good troll post?

Z
I don't know. He hasn't been on the forum since the middle of July, so either his business took off like a rocket and he's got no time for internet shenanigans, or he saw something shiney and went away. My money's on the latter.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.