The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My story about choices and redemption

johnnyqt25

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Jul 8, 2011
Hello everyone,

I posted this thread here: I'm probably the biggest loser here. about 7 years ago in 2011. This isn't a fastlane story, just a story about choices and redemption. I haven't provided much value to anyone and thought I start here. 2011 was the worst year of my life. I dropped out of college to help my mom with her cancer treatments. She did not survive, I got laid off from my job, girlfriend cheated and left me, and kicked out of my dad's house, all within the span of a few months that year. It was hard not to feel sorry for myself and I seriously contemplated suicide, but I knew that I made some bad choices that led to my demise. Before all these bad things happened, all I did was go to school, smoke weed, and played video games daily. I also dabbled with hmtl/css/php, but didn't take it seriously.

Fast forward a few months later, I found myself all alone, with hardly any money, and nowhere to return. I was renting a room from an old couple with unemployment benefits and it was quickly running out. It was scary, but it was also one of the best things to happen to me. I could have kept smoking weed, playing video games, and feeling sorry for myself, but I had to make better choices to survive. I quit weed, video games, and spent many nights at the library, because I know the world isn't going to hand me anything. I gotta earn it or just take it. I found another job doing desktop support, went back to college and earned a few IT certifications, including the CCNA. I also finally graduated college with a Bachelor's of Science in Information Technology - which led me to a network engineer role.

It was also at this time that I met a pharmacist who would become my wife and mother of my son. We're not rich, but have a couple rental properties, live a comfortable life and I recently ditched my old '96 Acura Integra for my dream car, a Nissan GTR. I'm still in the slowlane, but I aspire to be so much more and taking steps to get on the fastlane. About my ex-girlfriend, I heard she started doing meth, dropped out of nursing school, broke up with her baby's daddy, and working at some sleazy topless coffee shop now. She appears to be in a very dark place and I hope she will make better choices.

I've read a few threads here asking whether they should move out of state or drop out of college to pursue their fastlane dreams. I don't see why not. I guess getting kicked out of my dad's house was like moving out of state. I had no choice but to better myself in every way. And college isn't for everyone. I didn't get another job or out of desktop support because of my degree. It was actually the CCNA certification and experience that got me the job. I don't know if there's any moral to my story, but I guess it would be to never, ever give up, no matter how bad things might seem. Lastly, I want to thank MJ and everyone who replied to my thread 7 years ago. It changed my life and I'm truly grateful. Thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Wow, almost missed this thread. Goes to show that a lot can happen in a few short years.

Glad to see you worked you're way out and are expanding horizons.

CMA

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 3, 2014
This story is the kind of stuff that makes this forum so great.

Real change can come from this forum if action is applied.

Wonderful story.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.