The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

MY ROOMMATES MADE FUN OF ME THROUGHOUT COLLEGE. NOW WHO'S LAUGHING?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Fred Siika

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Apr 16, 2014
Dallas, Texas
*So this is kinda long but I think it's worth the read* :)

I'm creating this thread to provide some motivation for others since I've received so much encouragement in my life just from simply joining this forum.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

So....

I'm current finishing up my senior year of college (I graduate this August), and throughout my educational career I've been ridiculed by my social circle of friends as well as roommates.

I was exposed to the world of entrepreneurism my senior year of high school and decided that this was the path I wanted to take. I just didn't know exactly what I wanted to do nor how I'd achieve success.
I struggled from venture to venture and all my friends ever did was laugh and offer their unsolicited advice of how I should "quit all these get-rich-quick schemes and be a normal college kid."

It wasn't until about a year ago that I saw great potential in a skill I've had all my life but never really exploited it; and that was to play the piano. I started my own piano studio and has grown substancially to date.

I'd spend Friday and Saturday nights working on my websites SEO and my friends though I was crazy and wasting my college experience on some business that "would surmount to nothing," as they stated.

Now I do realize that a piano studio isn't the true definition of a entrepreneurial venture but with all the success I've experienced with it, it has been the pedastal for me by providing the capital to fund an extension of that business which is an online music store where we provide all books/supplies to all our students as well as anyone who visits our site. This is so important as it eliminates the need for a local music store and keeps all our revenue in-house.

At the end of last year there was a problem my students as well as other musicians face and that is reliable transcription software that can transcribe any piece of music into easy to read sheet music.

The success I've experienced in my studio has allowed me to fund this current venture; which is the development of this software. I intend on using it for my students and continuously test it to see if there's a viable need in the market. We're still in the early stages of testing the market/technology but I am so grateful I spent all those weekend nights locked up in my room working on my projects.

There were so many times when I wanted to quit and go out with my buddies but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm by no means proclaiming that I've "arrived." I haven't experienced as much success as some of the members here. I just thought I'd voice my personal experience in hopes to encourage others who may be experiencing the same thing I did.

As @ChrisRempel posted a while back "It's just like building a deck."
This is just a small victory to my ultimate goal.Thanks @MJ DeMarco and everyone else that makes this such a great community and I'd really like to hear your personal experiences with the naysayers!

PS. "Hala Madrid" (for my soccer fans out there) lol

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Nadia

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
281%
Jan 23, 2014
London, United Kingdom
*So this is kinda long but I think it's worth the read* :)

I'm creating this thread to provide some motivation for others since I've received so much encouragement in my life just from simply joining this forum.
___________________________________________________________________________________________

So....

I'm current finishing up my senior year of college (I graduate this August), and throughout my educational career I've been ridiculed by my social circle of friends as well as roommates.

I was exposed to the world of entrepreneurism my senior year of high school and decided that this was the path I wanted to take. I just didn't know exactly what I wanted to do nor how I'd achieve success.
I struggled from venture to venture and all my friends ever did was laugh and offer their unsolicited advice of how I should "quit all these get-rich-quick schemes and be a normal college kid."

It wasn't until about a year ago that I saw great potential in a skill I've had all my life but never really exploited it; and that was to play the piano. I started my own piano studio and has grown substancially to date.

I'd spend Friday and Saturday nights working on my websites SEO and my friends though I was crazy and wasting my college experience on some business that "would surmount to nothing," as they stated.

Now I do realize that a piano studio isn't the true definition of a entrepreneurial venture but with all the success I've experienced with it, it has been the pedastal for me by providing the capital to fund an extension of that business which is an online music store where we provide all books/supplies to all our students as well as anyone who visits our site. This is so important as it eliminates the need for a local music store and keeps all our revenue in-house.

At the end of last year there was a problem my students as well as other musicians face and that is reliable transcription software that can transcribe any piece of music into easy to read sheet music.

The success I've experienced in my studio has allowed me to fund this current venture; which is the development of this software. I intend on using it for my students and continuously test it to see if there's a viable need in the market. We're still in the early stages of testing the market/technology but I am so grateful I spent all those weekend nights locked up in my room working on my projects.

There were so many times when I wanted to quit and go out with my buddies but I'm glad I stuck with it. I'm by no means proclaiming that I've "arrived." I haven't experienced as much success as some of the members here. I just thought I'd voice my personal experience in hopes to encourage others who may be experiencing the same thing I did.

As @ChrisRempel posted a while back "It's just like building a deck."
This is just a small victory to my ultimate goal.Thanks @MJ DeMarco and everyone else that makes this such a great community and I'd really like to hear your personal experiences with the naysayers!

PS. "Hala Madrid" (for my soccer fans out there) lol

Ha. You had the last laugh. You won. That's really all that matters.

Okay, let's get into the lighter stuff. Congratulations for sticking your course. I remember staying at home and working day and night whilst people I knew were living it up at malls, spending money on stuff they didn't need and calling me weird for having no social life.

My point is, they still have a linear scale for money, they exchange their time and I exchange my ideas in a non-linear mode.

I'm not the one stuck at a job I hate on a Monday Morning because I was too lazy to use knowledge I had.

Good on you! :)

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Wait a sec...

We as a society place so much emphasis on social interaction, social approval, having fun, doing what you want, enjoying life. You all have wasted so much of your youth on this stuff it's sad. You'll never get those days back. One day you'll regret it.

M

M&N

Congrats! Just starting something can lead to so many opportunities.

And most importantly...HALA MADRID! LA DECIMA! :)

Fred Siika

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Apr 16, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Congrats! Just starting something can lead to so many opportunities.

And most importantly...HALA MADRID! LA DECIMA! :)
It certainly has. Thats the wonderful thing about this journey. Taking action and positioning yourself opens up so many opportunities I couldn't have even imagined.
And yes! "La Decima," that was the most nerve racking 93 minutes of my life. So glad they pulled it off.

Ha. You had the last laugh. You won. That's really all that matters.

Okay, let's get into the lighter stuff. Congratulations for sticking your course. I remember staying at home and working day and night whilst people I knew were living it up at malls, spending money on stuff they didn't need and calling me weird for having no social life.

My point is, they still have a linear scale for money, they exchange their time and I exchange my ideas in a non-linear mode.

I'm not the one stuck at a job I hate on a Monday Morning because I was too lazy to use knowledge I had.

Good on you! :)

Hey @Nadia thanks for the encouragement. And I completely agree. All I ever hear are my peers complain about are their slowlane linear scale jobs. It only provides that extra reassurance that the path this community of like-minded people chose is so worth it.

Wait a sec...

We as a society place so much emphasis on social interaction, social approval, having fun, doing what you want, enjoying life. You all have wasted so much of your youth on this stuff it's sad. You'll never get those days back. One day you'll regret it.

Lol, maybe one day I'll get all the time in the world to do the things I missed out on. I tend to think that I'm not that old and still have time haha.

Yayo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 19, 2014
Good job. It's these kinds of stories that motivate me to keep trudging through despite the naysayers.

Fred Siika

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
285%
Apr 16, 2014
Dallas, Texas
@Yayo
Yeah man, glad the post provided even just a little motivation for yourself.
What venture(s) are you currently involved in (if you don't mind sharing)?

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I know where you are! I've heard the same nonsense. I will be celebrating at the appropriate time when I have my books published. The sacrifice and process might be hard at the time, but when you're standing where they never had the courage to face their fears, patient enough to get past all the false beliefs, and settled for less and had a good time in the moment with out any pay off, I rather be on the winners circle on the checkered floor with the champagne bottle and smile and say I'm finally here, while you're still driving down dead ends. :)

Yayo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
80%
May 19, 2014
@Yayo
Yeah man, glad the post provided even just a little motivation for yourself.
What venture(s) are you currently involved in (if you don't mind sharing)?
Currently working on an e-commerce store. However since joining this site and reading the book, I'm debating whether or not it is truly fastlane. I'm determining if these doubts are merely a natural part of the process and I should simply revamp my current business, or if this is a sign I should abort mission and start a new one that is truly fastlane.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.