The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My reddit-fueled Journey to $10. The TechUnder10 Affiliate Story (Part One!)

ToySoldier

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Feb 19, 2017
Toronto
Hey Guys!

I'm Neal. Being new to the forum, I thought I'd share the story of my first successful affiliate site- TechUnder10. I've been a longtime contributor to /r/entrepreneur for the past few years, and have only recently discovered the Fastlane Forum, after having read MJ's book way back in 2011.

I wrote this post originally for reddit back in May 2016, after having made just under $10 in affiliate money. Since then, I've seen over 50,000 unique users, 100,000+ pageviews, and all of that without spending a dime on advertising.

The Backstory:

I'm a 20-something college kid from Toronto, and have been chasing the entrepreneurial dream since highschool. I'm a marketing student, and freelance web design while working at a gym this summer. The $12/hr is enough to live an average student life, but I'm hungry for more.

The Idea:

We've all heard of niche sites on reddit before. Stuff like ThisIsWhyImBroke and ShutUpAndTakeMyMoney make a ton of money, and provide awesome value to their customers. They feature a bunch of awesome stuff, but some of the prices are outrageous. This is where I come in.

The Business:

Last year I registered TechUnder20.com on a whim, and promptly forgot about it until it expired and someone else grabbed it. Oops. So I started www.TechUnder10.com instead. That's when I accidentally stumbled upon my niche.

Cheap tech gifts and gadgets that are geared towards me- a college kid with a bit of pocket money to spare. Having plenty of WordPress experience, I whipped together a minimalistic site, and started adding awesome products from all over the internet.

The Day reddit Crashed my Site:

I stumbled upon this askreddit thread a month ago about cheap gifts, and decided to share my newly built site. And holy shit, you guys seemed to love it (maybe a bit too much). Within a few hours, I felt the warm embrace of reddit's hug of death. My site crashed, and I had my first "Holy shit this has potential" moment. I also started /r/techunder10, which is a work in progress to say the least :)

Advertising:

I'm launching reddit, Bing, Facebook and Google ads on June 1st. In addition, I'm creating a weekly newsletter, Instagram, and Facebook page. The delay gives me more time to add a few hundred new products. Embarrassingly enough, I need to wait until my next payday to spend any significant money on advertising.

What I've Learned:

This is my Amazon snapshot and Google Analytics info. I'm coming up on 4,000 sessions, and 1,000 clicks on my site, with a 1.2% conversion rate. My main demographic is males 18-30 from the US. Reddit's proven that there is a market for my site, and I'd love the chance to compete with the big niche sites out there.

Coming Soon:

Stay tuned for my second post where I detail my journey to my first $1000 in affiliate money, and the lessons I learned along the way!

-Neal

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TradeIt

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Aug 24, 2014
Looking forward to your update!

"Since then, I've seen over 50,000 unique users, 100,000+ pageviews, and all of that without spending a dime on advertising."

Can't wait to see how this turned out!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.