The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Pursuit of Happiness

D

DeletedUser394

As you know, I'm quite unhappy at the moment. It's also entirely up to me to make that reality change. I simply have to make it different, because I can't afford (financial/sanity and otherwise) to not do anything about it.

I'm going to chronicle my actions as I go along this journey. Where I've failed in my past progress threads, is that I've posted what I'm 'going to do' sometime in the future... Surprise surprise, that future never came. It just kept getting deferred to 'sometime in the future'.

This one will be different. I'll only post the concrete actions that I've taken.

The very first thing I did, (which was an idea given to me by some members of this forum) was I deleted all of the songs off of my Ipod, and replaced them with subscriptions to a plethora of educational podcasts.

I wasted so much time listening to, and being influenced by music. Not anymore! While most people listen to music, I'll be learning, and staying one step ahead.

If anyone has any specific podcasts that they listen to that they would like to share, that would be much appreciated as well.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Likwid24

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Mar 26, 2011
Staten Island, NY
Hey Ryan, Good to see your thinking positive. I don't think there was any reason to delete EVERY song in your Ipod. Just take out the trash that gives you a bad attitude. Listen to feel good music. I feel everyone needs some sort of music in there life. It keeps you sane. Just stop listening to negative garbage. Did you ever try listening to house music? Most songs are very upbeat and always put me in a good mood.

James Fake

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
May 4, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I listen to Ambient Radio when I get into deep concentration of making websites..

gofalls

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Oct 7, 2007
Phx, AZ
Podcasts
freakonomics radio
HBR Idea Cast
How to create passive income online
LabCast
SEO 101
SEO rockstars
The smart passive income podcast
Website Design and Development
Your website engineer
Sick and Wrong - just for fun
Tons of business stuff, lots of it is slowlane though
As far as music goes I usually mix the podcast INDIE SPOTLIGHT into the mix. It plays 30 seconds or so of Indie bands that I have never heard of.

D

DeletedUser394

Well today, as I went to the mall, I was almost attacked by a group of four guys. 'I'm going to F*ck you up motherfcker.' 'I'm going to kill you.' They also lunged at me repeatedly to try and get me to react.

This is a great start. (this is called sarcasm)

I did make one decision though... and that is I'm moving back to the east coast. Nothing but close minded bigots out in the prairies, and I miss my friends/life that I had back home.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Well today, as I went to the mall, I was almost attacked by a group of four guys. 'I'm going to F*ck you up motherfcker.' 'I'm going to kill you.' They also lunged at me repeatedly to try and get me to react.

This exact thing happened to me at one point in my life. I'm sure a lot of guys go through a situation like this. Just know it has nothing to do with you. I assume they didn't even know who you were, because I sure didn't know they guys who came at me like that. They're just idiots trying to fill their meaningless life with a confidence boost. Heck, I use my "bad experience" as a conversation piece!

PaulRobert

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
May 15, 2009
New Jersey
I can see your going through a lot Ryan. No one's life is perfect, everyone has ups and downs, what is most important is how we pull through these rough times and actually get up on top. You wanted some good information and material? Well here you go!

Some great videos from Bob Parsons, the founder of GoDaddy.

BobParsons.me :: Previous Episodes

wallpaper_16_rules_1024x768.jpg

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
I did make one decision though... and that is I'm moving back to the east coast. Nothing but close minded bigots out in the prairies, and I miss my friends/life that I had back home.

Ryan I believe everything happens for a reason and this may be one of those times. It's often difficult to see how something that royally sucked led you in a direction you would have never gone without it and getting something amazing.

I don't know if you know who Damond John is or not. He's an investor on the TV show Shark Tank. He's the street smart guy that pulled himself up from the hood to lead a huge fashion brand. Talk about gorilla marketing and bootstrapping this shark has done it all.

[video=youtube;79a3nTDmeNo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79a3nTDmeNo[/video]

I highly recommend that you get his 1st book Amazon.com: Used and New: Display of Power: How FUBU Changed a World of Fashion, Branding and Lifestyle. He's got a new book but honestly his first was better and you can pick up a used copy for a song.

D

DeletedUser394

Meaning I should stay here, or go back home?

The only advantage I have here (Calgary) is that everyone speaks english. Back home everyone speaks french (but I'm fluent anyway).

Yes I've heard of Daymond John (through Shark Tank), thanks for sharing the video.

Xenia

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 23, 2009
Norwood SA
great stuff

Hi Ryan

great that you have identified things that were bringing you down. Happiness does certainly attract wealth and a pursuit of happiness is a great and worthwhile goal.

I have in addition rid my life of TV and negative media and have formed a positive wealth network of people that have similar goals and mindsets.

getting around the right people and the right environment is a key to being happy and wealthy.

D

DeletedUser394

Came up with a list of things that I've always wanted to do, but have either been too lazy or depressed to take the initiative. Not anymore, I'm doing it.

Join Toastmasters (Goal: DTM award)

-Improve my communication skills (which are severely lacking at the moment)
-Improve my self-esteem
-Meet new people

Start Swimming (Goal: Lifeguard Certification)

-My doctor told me it will build up my back/core muscles to help alleviate my back pain.
-Accomplishing something of reasonable difficulty would be amazing for my self-esteem.
-Learning practical life saving skills is always great.

Become a Big Brother (Big Brothers and Big Sisters Program)

-I’ve never had a sibling.
-I’m going to be a Mentor, and have Mentors (through other programs/life in general).
-Hang out with my ‘little’ (that’s what they’re called haha) and do some activities around town on a regular basis.
-Ties in to what everyone was saying about helping others makes you feel good about yourself.

Get a Job

-Not a menial job, but an entry level one in an industry that I’m looking to enter in the future.
-Having some kind of income is always good.
-It will keep me accountable.

Join the Armed Forces (Reserves -Part Time)

-Good character building.
-Serve my country (in the event of a natural disaster... reservists are NOT required to go to war unless they choose to voluntarily).
-Learn to protect others/Defend myself.

Take Upgrading Courses (With the eventual goal of going to University)

-It’s always nice to have a degree.
-My mother is offering to pay 100% of all school/tuition/book related costs.
-Learn, network, and have fun.

Get My Drivers License

-I’m 19 years old and I still haven’t even gotten my learners.
-Being able to drive is essential.
-I want the freedom that having my own car would allow.

Learn to Play Acoustic Guitar

-I bought one a year ago... might as well learn to play it.
-I like the sound.
-I’ve always wanted to learn it.

Weigh at least 145lbs (Gain 15lbs of lean muscle)

-I'm currently borderline underweight for my age/height.
-It would do wonders for my self esteem-self confidence.

D

DeletedUser394

Update: I'm an official Toastmaster.

I've been to 3 meetings so far. My 'Ice Breaker' speech is next week. I'm planning on attending as many meetings as possible.

I also have a mentor within the organization.

Got my pin to prove it

I also had to turn someone down the other day (invitation to a bbq), because I had a previous engagement planned.. That NEVER happened in the past.. I dare say it was actually nice turning someone down because I already had somewhere to be.

This weekend I'll be notching off one thing from my 'Bucket List' which is 'Attend an Air Show'. It's nice having things to do!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
[video=youtube;XRShWun7Mc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRShWun7Mc4&feature=related[/video]

domular

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jun 24, 2011
Houston, Texas, United States
Update: I'm an official Toastmaster.

I've been to 3 meetings so far. My 'Ice Breaker' speech is next week. I'm planning on attending as many meetings as possible.

I also have a mentor within the organization.

Got my pin to prove it

I also had to turn someone down the other day (invitation to a bbq), because I had a previous engagement planned.. That NEVER happened in the past.. I dare say it was actually nice turning someone down because I already had somewhere to be.

This weekend I'll be notching off one thing from my 'Bucket List' which is 'Attend an Air Show'. It's nice having things to do!

Good for you, way to turn it around. I know for myself I was pretty concerned about the things you were saying as I think may others were. The mor control you take of your life the better you will feel.

D

DeletedUser394

I crossed 2 things off of my bucket list in 1 day. Went to an airshow (Saw fighter aircraft, fire works, simulated gun fire, explosions, the Lima Lima team, and of course the Canadian Forces Snowbirds.

If you've never been to an airshow, it's a whole lot of fun, and I definitely recommend it.

Also took a helicopter ride.. I wouldn't mind that being a form of transportation for me in the future haha!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.