The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My own way

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Should I drop out of college?

• Yes

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

GuestUser450

Not sure how to unpack that, if at all. The thread listed above is exhaustive, I'm sure you'll find value if you read it through.

The only comment I'll make is: There are more important things in life than chasing your own happiness. Like, fulfillment: which is deeply complex and comes from appreciating the opportunity to develop mastery in a manner that benefits others.

You seem to be on the right track though. Keep working at it!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
If I understand correctly...you are 18, and about half way through a 2 year degree/certificate at a local college. You said this about yourself:
I'm not a quitter.
Sounds like your decision has already been made.

As you might guess, my suggestion is to finish your degree/certificate. You will need some source of income to feed yourself while building your own thing, and the degree/certificate will allow you to use a job in that field to do that. Another option is an unusually generous parent, or selling a kidney. JK!!! This is also hinged on my assumption that you are not in enormous debt for this education. If you are taking on debt to finance the education, then all bets are off and the calculation needs to be re-run.

First off, are ypu reading the Millionaire Fastlane? If not, you are not going to understand this fourm. Also, you are robbing youself of a good, solid roadmap.
Excellent advice. If you decide that you want to go "Fastlane", ask yourself if you are trading your time for money in your original business outline. It's ok if your passion is to build websites or applications, but recognize that you are still in the "Slowlane". If that's what makes you happy though, go for it!

Best wishes!

YoungPadawan

Miles to go before I sleep
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
280%
Nov 7, 2015
I could've asked a thousand questions about what to do. So I'm just going to tell you the story for your own sake :)

My first year of computer science went OK. At the beginning it was struggling, but definitely improved after that.
But I wasn't happy. So I choose to stay at my intern and work at the company and go to school 1 day per week.

And after hitting the plateau of not learning fast enough because again I'm not happy, I'm going through the exact same now as last time.
Even though I made steps, I still feel I won't come any closer to what I REALLY want.

Now the question is, what do I really want to do?
Make my own stuff! That's the exact reason why I chose that path; to create what I want to create.

Not to escape any responsibilities. But to make my own.

At my job they sort-of ditched me with programming and made me do web-development. What I like more because they let me create in my own way because it are more "side-projects" for clients and not the main software what they sell.
They probably think I am bad at programming (certainly I'm not a expert with my 1.5 year experience).
Also are probably inpatient with me. While I am VERY patient.

I could do it safe, continue doing my school, make a little career change, but in that way I will just fool myself.

Now I should ask myself, what should I do next!

Same thing I did before; learn!
Learn the things I need to learn, not the things school wants me to learn what I don't need in real life.
Not the things my work wants me to learn, but what I knowledge I need to make the things I want to create.

And why do I want to do it without all of this?
Well my boss has seen that I have a passion for what I do, but they don't really see it in the results.
And only at the times when they say "Just make this and do it your way" you can see it in the results (and my happy face) that I enjoy coming up with my own ideas and making them come true.

Why can't I just work at a company I would enjoy, is the next question.

Why can't I just make my own company that I would enjoy, is the answer :p

While it may looks like I am stubborn: I am.
If I can't be I can't be myself.
I just have too many ideas what I want to work on.
I just don't see a reason to get a degree if I need a degree.

Funny thing is when my boss didn't really see much outcome, he asked me if I was sure I took the right career choice. He didn't really see me expressing my passion.
And after telling what my real passions are with creating what I want he told me that few people make it.
I told him I will be like those few. I'm not a quitter. And even though I 100% understand what he said, I just find it funny to first encourage me and then discourage me to follow my passion :p

I got either 2 options, let's start with the most boring one first:

Option 1

Continue with school, it's a little more then a year left. Maybe I have to change from ''application development" to "web development"(better at front-end) and if not change jobs if I cannot continue with the side-projects.
After that I can find a job. Then start doing my own things, but the later I start working at my dream the more responsibilities I have.
In short: Having a job would have quit or have a very nice company that let's me work on my own projects. After that I'll have to quit if my own projects go well. If not I have to continue with my job.

Option 2
Quit school, start going to code boot camps that are 12-weeks long (almost impossible with college and work). During/after that I am going to work on my own stuff.
I will begin freelancing. Already working on my own site where people can ask for their own site for a reasonable price. My own webshop, have some ideas for Virtual Reality; My programming is good enough to make a prototype. If investors are interested I can make it much bigger.
In short: Freelancing to make a buffer to have time to make my products and go to coding-bootcamps.

I can always go back to college.

I know well there will be a lot of challenges, trail and (stack overflow)errors.
But that's exactly why I want to quit with college, college is no challenge for me, just a burden.

Even though my heart already knows what it wants, I have to analyze it a little bit further.

Advice/humbleness is always appreciated :D

https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/community/pages/do-i-go-to-college-dropout/

W4RHRSE

High Speed, Low Drag
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
Mar 10, 2016
Central Virginia
There is an old term my dad use to use, and I use it here not as an insult, but a visual...

You are like a fart in a whirlwind.

First, gain a bearing. You have ideas flowing and blowing you around, but you need a North Star, something to navigate from/to.

It's ok not having a clear choice, but that choice (and the clearer it is) will be the road that you go down, so by clearing it up to youself, will make your life much easier.

First off, are ypu reading the Millionaire Fastlane? If not, you are not going to understand this fourm. Also, you are robbing youself of a good, solid roadmap.

I look forward to seeing you around and watching you achieve!

Good luck! Mash the skinny pedal and let's GO!!!!

Imgal

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 9, 2015
I went to Uni. I lasted a year. Part of it was because the course was badly run, but mainly it was because I realised after a few months of being there that I felt more held back than anything. If I'm honest I only stuck it out that long because I wanted to experience the freedom, drinking too much and going somewhere no-one knew who I'd been up to that point.

As soon as I quit I got down to work figuring out how I was going to make it all work. It was definitely up and down. More failures than successes. I got used to lacking focus and spending more hours having fun than working hard so I did something a little odd. I studied for a degree from home via the Open University, it wasn't so much about the degree itself, but the structure. Deadlines for assignments meant I needed to be organised and that in turn didn't give me the luxury of time to do all that busy work that fills an entrepreneur's day, but gets them no-where.

My advice is if you can do both, do both. They will be both be an education to you, in probably very different ways to how you imagine!

Royael

Student of Life
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Sep 22, 2014
Im 19 myself and I have chosen not to go to college. Its just a question of opportunity cost for me. So basically the time I spent in college is just lost time for me as I don't really learn anything applicable there. I encourage you to make those calculations for yourself, determining what your earning potential is in a few years if you spend all the time on your own stuff and what it would be if you would have a degree.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
This is a progress thread, mostly my mental entrepreneur gainz. So here is a update for you guys!

My mind has settled a little.

I'll begin with being upfront and honest: I'm currently ''rebooting" from an addiction, nothing serious, but it always held me back.
So I'm a little down right now, but on the other times I'm very happy. It's all for the best. No more excuses.

I am still 100% certain what I want, and I want it ASAP. Which is a good thing; I found my passion.
I don't want to go from job to job, trying to adjust in an fixed environment, I'd prefer to go from business to business ;)

Right now I'm all about (preparing for) execution, I will go to a tech startup conference in a month, will talk to an experienced app developer tomorrow, so he can tell me the ins-and-outs, he also worked at companies like Shopify; very smart guy.

I will probably have to finish college. Just for the sake of it, doesn't cost any money. Although there is no value in it for me...

If I'm done with college, I will have almost 2 years of work experience. I will also have experience working on my own REAL app build from the ground up.
With the knowledge that I now gain from books, conferences etc, I can continue to grow and create/scale bigger self-made businesses.
It's all becoming clearer and clearer to me.

Don't even care if it fails, I will learn from it and grow; no stopping me here!
If I have to live on ramen noodles and tuna; fine. At least I'll be free, then and later on.

The engine is just getting started

BTW I've been thinking about starting a "starting entrepreneur youtube vlogging channel".
Doesn't that sound cool, seeing someone grow and struggle their way through, from day 1? Let me know :D

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Don't know where to start, but I have made a few small great steps:

I'm going to a "'young entrepreneur event" next week, excited for that!
Also wanted to go to The Next Web conference but had to go alone there, and the tickets are quite expensive for that one, maybe I'll go to the next one in NY ;)

The app is in development! It's not going fast perse with all the new things I have to learn, plus the time I can put into it, but a start is great.
I could outsource it all right now, I have the plan etc but I'd like to build it myself for the KNAWLEDGE and to tweak the idea while I'm working on it.

I first had a quite fixed idea on the app, but right now I'm adding things to it to make it a broader usable app.

My why's are getting quite clear, but my how's are getting bigger. But that's a great thing, I'm moving forward, and I'm going into barriers, and will break them ;)

My biggest accomplishment is that I cut out all the bad stuff in my life, bad friends (don't have that much already), bad habits (still have some).
But I know why I stop doing bad things; I can give myself a reason to NOT do my addiction, instead of filling up my emptiness with literally poison.

Gear 1!

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Sup guys, more than a half year has past, quite some things happened.

So I'm doing a lot of things, still working 4 times per week, I'm excelling at my work (almost got fired at one time), mainly because I enjoy it and can focus on my strength, the place I work at still isn't my destiny or something, the fastlane fire is still getting bigger and bigger, but I have to do the best I can do now at my job!

But I have a story for you guys

2 days ago I got approached on skype (they found me on UpWork) by a couple who, coincidental, also live in the same hometown as me.
They offered me a function as back-end co-founder (sounds awesome right :woot:), I already told I haven't had years of experience, but they gave me a chance.

Yesterday in the evening they invited me to dinner, mainly to know each other etc and talk a little bit about it.

But the thing is, I already knew the girl indirectly. Long story short she is half-criminal. They also helped with the marketing/design of dildo's LOL (no judgement though)
She probably uses that guy to get that startup monayyy, cause she would own 25% of it, same as me...

So I declined the offer, I'm proud of it that I did. Even though I could've just accepted it, you can't do good business with bad people.

I'm also only 18 yet, I just need to be patient and try things out. (and find the right people lmao)

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Almost a year since my last post! Damn time moves fast :D

This is hopefully my last month of college (maybe another month to do a few presentations).

Sadly I'm sick and lagging behind schedule and my internship contract is expired soon and they don't want to prolong it.
I wanted to start a A.I Nanodegree in December, so if everything goes worst case scenario I'll just stop with college (this looks like the beginning of the thread eh lol), cause I have guaranteed admission (though maybe I can choose a later date to start I'll see, but I just don't want another year in college xd).

Current drama besides, I want to travel for at least 6 months in the U.S.

I'll buy a van, make it livable (vanlife) and road-trip in it and simultaneously do the course.
Though I'll also need a place to stay first, thought of doing a work exchange for a place to stay with food, I'll figure it out :)

I'll fund the money I made with cryptocurrency trading for the trip.

I basically want to go as much as minimalist as possible, freedom is my most important thing and even though I could first make a lot of money, I just want to literally be free to go wherever I want to with as little as possible.

I'm also young with no responsibilities and see no better opportunity to travel than now.

My creative juices are basically 0 right now, though first I had a lot, I hadn't that much knowledge and wisdom yet.
Thought of freelancing at first, but making everything custom for 1 person isn't really my thing, neither is it scalable.
Cause I do need a income after a while (not much), but having enough to live off with a product, takes just as long as with freelancing right? Both don't pay off good immediately.

Anyway, if I won't forget I'll give ya guys another update.

I feel I'm on the right path :smile2:

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
I could've asked a thousand questions about what to do. So I'm just going to tell you the story for your own sake :)

My first year of computer science went OK. At the beginning it was struggling, but definitely improved after that.
But I wasn't happy. So I choose to stay at my intern and work at the company and go to school 1 day per week.

And after hitting the plateau of not learning fast enough because again I'm not happy, I'm going through the exact same now as last time.
Even though I made steps, I still feel I won't come any closer to what I REALLY want.

Now the question is, what do I really want to do?
Make my own stuff! That's the exact reason why I chose that path; to create what I want to create.

Not to escape any responsibilities. But to make my own.

At my job they sort-of ditched me with programming and made me do web-development. What I like more because they let me create in my own way because it are more "side-projects" for clients and not the main software what they sell.
They probably think I am bad at programming (certainly I'm not a expert with my 1.5 year experience).
Also are probably inpatient with me. While I am VERY patient.

I could do it safe, continue doing my school, make a little career change, but in that way I will just fool myself.

Now I should ask myself, what should I do next!

Same thing I did before; learn!
Learn the things I need to learn, not the things school wants me to learn what I don't need in real life.
Not the things my work wants me to learn, but what I knowledge I need to make the things I want to create.

And why do I want to do it without all of this?
Well my boss has seen that I have a passion for what I do, but they don't really see it in the results.
And only at the times when they say "Just make this and do it your way" you can see it in the results (and my happy face) that I enjoy coming up with my own ideas and making them come true.

Why can't I just work at a company I would enjoy, is the next question.

Why can't I just make my own company that I would enjoy, is the answer :p

While it may looks like I am stubborn: I am.
If I can't be I can't be myself.
I just have too many ideas what I want to work on.
I just don't see a reason to get a degree if I don't need a degree.

Funny thing is when my boss didn't really see much outcome, he asked me if I was sure I took the right career choice. He didn't really see me expressing my passion.
And after telling what my real passions are with creating what I want he told me that few people make it.
I told him I will be like those few. I'm not a quitter. And even though I 100% understand what he said, I just find it funny to first encourage me and then discourage me to follow my passion :p

I got either 2 options, let's start with the most boring one first:

Option 1

Continue with school, it's a little more then a year left. Maybe I have to change from ''application development" to "web development"(better at front-end) and if not change jobs if I cannot continue with the side-projects.
After that I can find a job. Then start doing my own things, but the later I start working at my dream the more responsibilities I have.
In short: Having a job would have quit or have a very nice company that let's me work on my own projects. After that I'll have to quit if my own projects go well. If not I have to continue with my job.

Option 2
Quit school, start going to code boot camps that are 12-weeks long (almost impossible with college and work). During/after that I am going to work on my own stuff.
I will begin freelancing. Already working on my own site where people can ask for their own site for a reasonable price. My own webshop, have some ideas for Virtual Reality; My programming is good enough to make a prototype. If investors are interested I can make it much bigger.
In short: Freelancing to make a buffer to have time to make my products and go to coding-bootcamps.

I can always go back to college.

I know well there will be a lot of challenges, trail and (stack overflow)errors.
But that's exactly why I want to quit with college, college is no challenge for me, just a burden.

Even though my heart already knows what it wants, I have to analyze it a little bit further.

Advice/humbleness is always appreciated :D

Last edited:

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
VURMV.jpg
these are my current thoughts about the whole situation currently.

Alxander

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
174%
Mar 5, 2015
Thanks for the advice guys, I'll keep you posted on my next decision!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.