The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Life Is The Block Itself

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
Hello fastlaners. Today I have come to a realization that I wanted to share with you, so that if any of you are in the same situation and can't figure out the why, I saved you from some trouble I believe.

There is this thing in me, and I believe anybody else's too, that always wants us to get better. It's the tiny little regret when you are doing something you shouldn't do, such as:

- Watching TV Shows when you know you have something to get done
- Eating more (or less if you are skinny like me) when you shouldn't
- Sleeping in
- Wasting time when you know you should go to GYM
- Millions of other things that you know already

For myself, I want to get ripped, be rich, and thinking realistically: going to the GYM and working on a new business (from idea to execution). But you know what? I JUST DON'T. I didn't know the why until now: I don't need them. My father is paying for everything and I will probably be well-off because my father suffered for all of us when he was young. Sure I could have more but not having a car doesn't kill you right?

So, here is the thing (this is for me and you):

- You don't work on your side project or business idea because you don't need it. Want vs. Need. It's that simple.
-You can't think of business ideas or can't bump into opportunities because you aren't looking for them.

When you hit the rock bottom, your mind, body, spirit, faith whatever you have and everything you have comes together to survive. It's the survival mode that got my father where he is today, it's the same for MJ and for many others. And I really don't know a way to get into this Survival mode but I want to (again, not NEED).

Like this, my fellow wannabe fastlaner, if we want to do this, we have to NEED this and get ourselves into the survival mode. That is the only way I assume.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Yeah I'm having many of the same problems but I am making money online enough to be content but I'm lacking the motivation to take it to the next level. I'm 18 and will be moving out from home in August to a new city and hopefully this will be a catalyst to greater success. I have been planning this for over a year and preparing so don't be worried guys thinking that this is a impulsive decision.

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
And I really don't know a way to get into this Survival mode but I want to (again, not NEED).

I actually wrote an article on this yesterday:

Summary: Our mind only thinks in the present moment. If being lazy (on your goals) is more comfortable than take the actions, you won't be biologically driven to take that action.

Solution:
Write a $100 check to a trusted friend and tell them they cash it if you don't go to the gym TODAY. If you go to the gym, you get the check back immediately.

Suddenly, being lazy is more uncomfortable in the present moment than slacking!

We run away from immediate pain.
We run towards immediate pleasure.

Simple as that, now go write the check!!!

Full article: http://andrewalexander.org/the-secret-to-lasting-self-motivation/

Last edited:

Georgy

Stranger in Moscow
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Mar 7, 2016
Canada
Wow, I have to admit this is interesting.

My father is paying for everything and I will probably be well-off because my father suffered for all of us when he was young.

When you say "probably" be well-off, what do you mean exactly?

I also believe many entrepreneurs or self-made millionaires didn't become successful because they needed to. You want to help people, you want to solve problems, you want to provide a service is different than saying *you need to help people, you need to solve problems, you need to provide a service*.

Just doesn't sound the same. Reason I think is because "want" comes from within, the desire to help which is a variable of drive. Need to be sounds more like filling in a gap not because you want to, but because to have to in order to survive. Not sure I'm making sense LOL. But you get the drift.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
@JordanK

I wish you all the well in your new journey, brother. Let me know!

@AndrewNC

Punishing myself indeed is a good idea, thank you for sharing that.

@Georgy

When you know that something is going to happen but also know that you can't be 100% sure about anything, so you are sure about it 99.9%. This is what I mean. When it comes to help, I took help from Andy Black before but I just can't get into that mindset. And honestly I don't want to. Yes, I help people in daily life always but I do them because I want to, that's all. And no, you can't scale helping old people carry their groceries etc.

There are people out there, they spot the needs and fulfill them good enough and make millions. I am talking about narcissistic ones. I am sure their purpose is not to help people. Actually, I know it is not. But again, thank you for taking time to answer, I really appreciate it.

Kingmaker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Jan 26, 2013
San Diego
I really don't know a way to get into this Survival mode.
My father is paying for everything.
Move out of daddy's house and live your own life?

If you can't kick-start yourself into action, you will have a hell of a time competing with hustlers who don't have a motivation problem.

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
Move out of daddy's house and live your own life?

If you can't kick-start yourself into action, you will have a hell of a time competing with hustlers who don't have a motivation problem.
What I lack is purpose. I have never had any problems with motivation. Punishment idea is brilliant though. Thanks for suggestion, I will go abroad for the first time this summer. I will be on my own, will see how I'll do in that kind of situation.

limitless_c

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
248%
Apr 29, 2016
Chile
Hi T-K

If you were talking to me about this 2 years ago, I would say, "dont feel bad, everyone does that".

You are lucky that Im other person now so I will tell you something different.

I had your same problems, college fixed that for me, seeing that you are going to be like everyone else its just too painful.

Also, I took a job as a maintenance guy in a farm, for 1 month, it was the lower grade job on a company that make millions with their farms.
I didn't needed the money, I didn't want to learn a new skill, my objective was only one: wake up.

Being with guys that have 55 years old and have worked +40 years on the same low end job, and being with guys that have 20 years old and that are just starting a life of misery on low end jobs, makes you wake up real quick.
I've never worked on my life as hard as I worked on that job, 90°F and working on open field loading hundreds of bags, then unloading them, walking 4 km several times a day to fix a damn tube, counting how many fruit has one tree ( do you know how difficult is this under the sun and with more than 400 fruits per tree?! ) sharing the bathroom with 30 guys, I can keep going.

The worst part? The people that work on that job is poor, no, Im not being dramatic, the pay is horrible, almost abusive.

You could see on the faces of the workers the quiet desperation, the agony of being in such position in life.
That gave me A LOT of motivation.

You can try something like that, I bet it works.
(Sorry for my broken english)

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
Hi T-K

If you were talking to me about this 2 years ago, I would say, "dont feel bad, everyone does that".

You are lucky that Im other person now so I will tell you something different.

I had your same problems, college fixed that for me, seeing that you are going to be like everyone else its just too painful.

Also, I took a job as a maintenance guy in a farm, for 1 month, it was the lower grade job on a company that make millions with their farms.
I didn't needed the money, I didn't want to learn a new skill, my objective was only one: wake up.

Being with guys that have 55 years old and have worked +40 years on the same low end job, and being with guys that have 20 years old and that are just starting a life of misery on low end jobs, makes you wake up real quick.
I've never worked on my life as hard as I worked on that job, 90°F and working on open field loading hundreds of bags, then unloading them, walking 4 km several times a day to fix a damn tube, counting how many fruit has one tree ( do you know how difficult is this under the sun and with more than 400 fruits per tree?! ) sharing the bathroom with 30 guys, I can keep going.

The worst part? The people that work on that job is poor, no, Im not being dramatic, the pay is horrible, almost abusive.

You could see on the faces of the workers the quiet desperation, the agony of being in such position in life.
That gave me A LOT of motivation.

You can try something like that, I bet it works.
(Sorry for my broken english)
I actually got a job, worked at there for 2 days then quit. I thought that was the reason but it wasn't for me. After a few days I created this thread, things started to change for me after some heavy introspection. And I'm doing just fine now, little but steady motivation, a goal ahead etc.

Thank you for the story, brother. I'm sure there are many guys on this forum that feel the same way we did and many of them will benefit from your experience.

Tapp001

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
May 24, 2016
It can be difficult to access that 'survival energy' when you are not in survival mode. I think the key is extrapolation and self reward.

1) Extrapolation: How will life look a year from now if you don't take action? How about five years down the road? How about on your deathbed?

2) Want something? Dont let yourself have it until you have taken action. Either use self-discipline or another accountability method (such as buying it now, and giving it to a friend to hold until you accomplish your first milestone).

I used these things to motivate myself to finish my thesis while working as a security guard. I imagined how I would feel if I never became more, or rather never even tried to become more (failure is painful to me, but less shameful than never trying). I also really wanted Mass Effect 2, but didn't buy it until I had handed in my first draft to my thesis supervisor. The stick of shame and the carrot of sexy space adventure motivated me to action!

T-K

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Feb 22, 2016
Istanbul
It can be difficult to access that 'survival energy' when you are not in survival mode. I think the key is extrapolation and self reward.

1) Extrapolation: How will life look a year from now if you don't take action? How about five years down the road? How about on your deathbed?

2) Want something? Dont let yourself have it until you have taken action. Either use self-discipline or another accountability method (such as buying it now, and giving it to a friend to hold until you accomplish your first milestone).

I used these things to motivate myself to finish my thesis while working as a security guard. I imagined how I would feel if I never became more, or rather never even tried to become more (failure is painful to me, but less shameful than never trying). I also really wanted Mass Effect 2, but didn't buy it until I had handed in my first draft to my thesis supervisor. The stick of shame and the carrot of sexy space adventure motivated me to action!
Good, different approaches to a common problem keeps coming in with time. I believe this will be a valuable thread in the future. Thank you for your contribution, brother.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.