The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My idea/invention...

Idea threads

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
Hello everyone,

I've decided to take MJ's advice and focus on one idea that I have that I think fills a need and solves a problem. I'm always keeping my eyes open to things that bother me or irritate me when I go to a store and sure enough, there are opportunities to be found. One such problem I had and still have is with posters.

I will invariably stop and thumb through the posters to see what they have and that is that. But I got to thinking back to when I was younger how much of a pain in the butt posters were to hang up. There were usually two routes you could take: 1) Simply buy the poster, have four thumbtacks, unroll it without bending or creasing it (for all of us OCD people out there) and tack it up and voila! Or 2) you buy the poster, but wanting to be and look a bit more sophisticated, you buy a poster frame to frame your poster in. For anyone who has ever tried to unroll a poster and put it in the frame, I feel your pain. Over the years, I became pretty good at getting a new poster in a frame, all the while keeping some of my past posters behind my new poster. Another problem is centering the poster. It's easy if the poster's dimensions match up with your frame, but occasionally, you have a small gap/border either at the top/bottom or on the sides and getting them even was a job.

The posters are close to the electronics department and I happened to notice the digital photo frames. I wondered why there wasn't a version for posters that would eliminate the need for paper, the need to frame the poster and the need to make sure it fit evenly. I came home and started searching online to see if anyone had invented a digital poster frame. There were those who had converted HDTVs into digital poster frames, but why anyone would commit the money and the TV for a poster frame dumbfounded me, besides being too heavy to mount without a wall mount. There were also companies that made digital poster frames for commercial use, either those that would be mounted or attached to a solid base. Again, these were very nice, but were geared more towards businesses that could afford them and not a consumer to hang in a room in their house.

My idea/invention is to make a digital poster frame that is lightweight (thus able to be hung on a wall without the need for a wall mount), wi-fi capable, capable of high resolutions, and have a subscriber service that would license the various characters from companies that kids and adults like, which would allow for easy wi-fi downloading to the digital poster frame.

Right now, I'm committed to learning how to work with circuitboards and electronics, as well as getting digital picture frames that don't work and taking them apart to see how they work and what will be necessary for my application. Granted, I know I've probably bitten off way more than I can chew, but that's fine by me. Given the timetable of the Fastlane, I'll get this done.

I'm still tossing around certain things I think that these should or should not have: touchscreen vs. physical buttons, built in battery vs. external power supply, built in memory in addition to expandable memory via SD card or USB drive.

I've given this a lot of thought and I have been tinkering with the idea off and on for about a year. I almost shopped my idea off to Quirky, but I am a control freak and violating that commandment was something I couldn't do. I'm sure they could do it, no problem, but I want to see if I can do it.

What really lit my fire was seeing Sal/Likwid24 and how great he has done and will be doing for the foreseeable future. I thought, if he could do it, so can I. I know this won't happen overnight; I don't expect it to. But I've planted my flag and I will dig as deep as I can go with this. If done right, this can be a winner, something that people will think where has this been?

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Nice idea, it may be that your idea is ahead of its time. Does the tech exist to get poster size display that is light and affordable?

Things get smaller and cheaper everyday so this will become something to sell sometime for certain, maybe ask manufacturers of photo frames if they can produce poster versions?

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
This product is already in the market and has been for a few years, here is one example......

http://luckycharmproductions.com/what-we-do/media-system

Not really, the OP specifically mentioned that he does not want to use TVs (which these guys seem to be using). Plus it sounds like he wants to focus on the consumer space as opposed to the commercial applications that the above company is targeting.

Chadi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Mar 19, 2014
Hello everyone,

I've decided to take MJ's advice and focus on one idea that I have that I think fills a need and solves a problem. I'm always keeping my eyes open to things that bother me or irritate me when I go to a store and sure enough, there are opportunities to be found. One such problem I had and still have is with posters.

I will invariably stop and thumb through the posters to see what they have and that is that. But I got to thinking back to when I was younger how much of a pain in the butt posters were to hang up. There were usually two routes you could take: 1) Simply buy the poster, have four thumbtacks, unroll it without bending or creasing it (for all of us OCD people out there) and tack it up and voila! Or 2) you buy the poster, but wanting to be and look a bit more sophisticated, you buy a poster frame to frame your poster in. For anyone who has ever tried to unroll a poster and put it in the frame, I feel your pain. Over the years, I became pretty good at getting a new poster in a frame, all the while keeping some of my past posters behind my new poster. Another problem is centering the poster. It's easy if the poster's dimensions match up with your frame, but occasionally, you have a small gap/border either at the top/bottom or on the sides and getting them even was a job.

The posters are close to the electronics department and I happened to notice the digital photo frames. I wondered why there wasn't a version for posters that would eliminate the need for paper, the need to frame the poster and the need to make sure it fit evenly. I came home and started searching online to see if anyone had invented a digital poster frame. There were those who had converted HDTVs into digital poster frames, but why anyone would commit the money and the TV for a poster frame dumbfounded me, besides being too heavy to mount without a wall mount. There were also companies that made digital poster frames for commercial use, either those that would be mounted or attached to a solid base. Again, these were very nice, but were geared more towards businesses that could afford them and not a consumer to hang in a room in their house.

My idea/invention is to make a digital poster frame that is lightweight (thus able to be hung on a wall without the need for a wall mount), wi-fi capable, capable of high resolutions, and have a subscriber service that would license the various characters from companies that kids and adults like, which would allow for easy wi-fi downloading to the digital poster frame.

Right now, I'm committed to learning how to work with circuitboards and electronics, as well as getting digital picture frames that don't work and taking them apart to see how they work and what will be necessary for my application. Granted, I know I've probably bitten off way more than I can chew, but that's fine by me. Given the timetable of the Fastlane, I'll get this done.

I'm still tossing around certain things I think that these should or should not have: touchscreen vs. physical buttons, built in battery vs. external power supply, built in memory in addition to expandable memory via SD card or USB drive.

I've given this a lot of thought and I have been tinkering with the idea off and on for about a year. I almost shopped my idea off to Quirky, but I am a control freak and violating that commandment was something I couldn't do. I'm sure they could do it, no problem, but I want to see if I can do it.

What really lit my fire was seeing Sal/Likwid24 and how great he has done and will be doing for the foreseeable future. I thought, if he could do it, so can I. I know this won't happen overnight; I don't expect it to. But I've planted my flag and I will dig as deep as I can go with this. If done right, this can be a winner, something that people will think where has this been?

I think your biggest barrier will be the cost to produce these posters. Any poster that will have a high enough quality and large enough size in a small form factor will not be cheap to produce. And for that reason, I'm out.

Just kidding :D

Here's a thought for you. Have you considered recycling old laptop screens and turning them into posters? They should have enough screen resolution (17") to show decent pictures plus they already have a thin form factor. The biggest challenge will be to figure out the circuitry to drive the image. Maybe something like a Rasberry PI will do?

CarrieW

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Nov 12, 2007
suburbs of savannah in Ga
finding a way to repurpose something here is a great idea... you maybe could use some type of reflective surface and a tiny projector with a little micro sd card slot or something :p

Determined2012

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Jun 22, 2012
Chicago, IL
This product is already in the market and has been for a few years, here is one example......

I really dislike when I see this or hear it, because it has a negative, discouraging connotation... And then other people will come right behind this post and say "there is nothing new under the sun"

So... Which is it then???: Go for your idea, regardless of if its out or not (assuming that you will improve upon the product or service, thus allowing you to successfully compete), or spend all of your time trying to invent the next iPod, other EPIC game changing product/service?

I know the answer... Just responding to this because I see the "it already exists" posts as dream killing post, and I think we should reframe the wording when we want to make someone aware of an existing product/service.

If we are all following CENTS and the product or service we have will solve a want or need- then it should be understood that whether we know of other products out there or not if they aren't the Apple, Google, Coke, or other well known market leader for your niche then there is room to compete, and SUCCEED with your product in that niche.

Last edited by a moderator:

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
We have a lot of bus stops over here in the UK with videos, huge posters etc advertising within the bus stop.
They will no doubt be trying to come up with a solution similar to yours to produce the full bus stop being a advert or to get more attention.
These companies that deal with the advertising are huge so if they've not came across it yet I imagine its either pricey to manufacture or its ahead of our time.
I wish you the best of luck but!

Robbypz

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
May 25, 2013
Kansas City
I really dislike when I see this or hear it, because it has a negative, discouraging connotation... And then other people will come right behind this post and say "there is nothing new under the sun"

I meant in no way to be negative with that response, my apologies for not going further to explain my intentions by posting in that manner. I wish the OP all the best in and just trying to help to show what is already out there to maybe try to adopt and adapt current technologies into what he wants to design.

Last edited:

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
I appreciate the input and the comments. Thank you for showing me the site you referenced (Lucky Charm Productions); I had never seen it before. I should have done more searching before thinking that this hadn't been done.

When I first thought of this idea, I wondered why someone or some company hadn't already done it. Then I thought about how much a digital photo frame costs and multiplied that cost and realized making a digital poster frame wouldn't be cheap; thus my first dilemma. How to produce a working model that won't break the bank. Like I said, I've been tinkering with this about a year, and in that time, I noticed that the prices for digital photo frames seem to be what they were a year ago; why? My guess is either they are costly to produce or maybe they have incredible margins. Either way, I'm speculating and I need to dig further and find out the truth.

Right now I'm focused on the R&D and working on building a working prototype. I'll definitely keep all of the suggestions in mind and I will probably try them all and see what works the best.

Please keep the comments and the feedback coming, I really appreciate it. You all have already opened my eyes to things I probably would have never considered. Thank you.

I will keep everyone posted on my progress; please be patient, as it may be slow at times, but that doesn't mean I'm not making progress!

Richie Rich

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Mar 26, 2012
Louisville, KY
I know it's been a while since I've posted to this thread. I wanted to give everyone an update on where I am at with my idea and my life in general. While I have been active on the Fastlane Forum with the Fantasy Fastlane/fantasy football league (which was a great distraction while in the hospital recovering, even though my team was horrible), I have neglected my original post of my idea. While I'm not throwing in the towel on the digital poster frame, I've realized that to bring my idea to life would involve re-appropriating digital televisions into said poster frames. I know the idea has merit, but logistically and financially, it is out of my reach for now. Personally, I've had a rough past year. In July 2015, my grandmother passed away and in October 2015, I was diagnosed with Stage III Colon Cancer. I had surgery in November 2015 to remove most of my colon/large intestine. I had the bad luck of being born with a genetic mutation (Lynch Syndrome) that makes me more susceptible to developing certain types of cancer, with colon cancer an almost certainty. I was 37 when I was diagnosed and hearing cancer makes you reevaluate what is important in life. I'm not giving up on finding my own Fastlane, but I've had to rearrange my priorities. While I have to be cognizant of my health and mortality, I still have that itch, that gnawing at my soul that if I don't keep trying to find the Fastlane, then my life will have been a waste. I know in the grand scheme of things that pursuing the entrepreneurial dream and creating passive income are way down the list of priorities when death is, if not staring you in the face, close enough to know it's there and letting you know that the clock is ticking and time is indeed very short. Nihilism aside, if I'm going down, I'm going down swinging. My time recently has been preoccupied with helping my mom fix my grandmother's house up to sell it and to periodically see my oncologist to make sure everything is solid and no new cancer shows up to make things interesting. But I'm not giving up on the Fastlane. Other than the cancer diagnosis, my main motivation is to prove my brother-in-law wrong and when I do find my Fastlane, I'm going to rub it in his face every chance I get. If you ever have the misfortune of meeting him, you'll understand why I am using him as motivation to succeed. I don't want to be a Debbie Downer, but for everyone who is chasing the dream and searching for your own Fastlane, don't forget: it's all a game. If you don't find it in the amount of time you wanted to, don't give up, keep after it. But take time to evaluate and realize what is most important. I used to think I was invincible and was going to live forever, but now I know I'm not. Keep things in perspective. If you mess up, fail or don't reach your goal, it's okay. If you wake up tomorrow, you can always try again.

OldFaithful

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 11, 2016
Northwest Indiana
@Richie Rich , I'm sorry I didn't see this and respond earlier. You have my sympathies, and my respect. You're dealing with some nasty health issues and still keeping a positive attitude. Kudos to you! Best wishes to you in your recovery, and hopefully no re-occurrences!

David Young

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Jun 1, 2015
I was not on the forum when you first posted. Its fantastic and inspiring to hear your positive attitude despite the issues you have overcome. With regards your initial ideal the technology is gradually catching up A new milestone in creating electronic paper signs in large formats: the 32'' development kit As you mentioned previously, the cost of getting into the hardware can be daunting. However there iss always the other side of the equation - the distribution of the electronic art. There is obviously a host of copywriter issues to address here but the general ideal of a electronic poster with an associated subscription service is a good one. Good luck.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.