The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success

INTRO My goal: To retire early so I can pursue my passions and travel the world

Accelerate wealth. Build a business that pays freedom. Join more than 70,000 entrepreneurs and register for the Fastlane Entrepreneur forum. Remove ads? Join the INSIDERS.

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
Hi,

I'm 22 years old doing a business degree concentrating in entrepreneurship. I run a social media page since freshman year of college that generates me zero money but I've built an audience of about 3,000 people and counting, and just recently I've offered to sell merch and much of my audience is open to the idea. This won't generate me a lot of money right now or in the near future but it's something that is continually growing slowly with me posting content every day. I have a part time contract job working as a digital marketing assistant at an e-commerce agency for $15/hr, do Doordash for extra cash, I've freelanced for a single client for SEO for a $20/hour for 40 hours but I don't enjoy the process too much, and now I've just pivoted to deeply learn the skillset of copywriting which I plan to make a full time living freelancing since it's a lot less labor intensive and more scalable than selling SEO services. I'm going to graduate college 1/2 a year late since I switched majors 3 times (from 2 engineering degrees to business), but I will have no debt and already have $25,000 worth of stocks. It's also possible that I might manage and live in my parent's house in US and rent out a few other rooms to tenants after I graduate because my parents will be moving back to Europe and they want to rent out the house. My goal is to explode my income tied to time first, by getting advanced and charging premium fees at freelance copyrighting and then by building a sellable scalable service or package where I can divorce my income of time, then to use that money to buy income and perhaps even get into real estate down the line. Thanks MJ DeMarco for laying out the true process for becoming financially free, I've wasted thousands of dollars on stupid overpriced guru coaching/training programs where I am their business and their main goal is to suck every penny from me instead of actually helping me succeed. Ultimately I want to be worth tens of millions by the time I'm in my thirties, spend time with my family, friends, girlfriend, be healthy, and travel the world and afford a luxurious but not exorbitant lifestyle, flashy cars or gigantic mansions don't really interest me too much.

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

Last edited:

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
I am a freelancer too, currently, I am making 30 USD per hour and I am planning to open a small business.
Nice! That’s the way to go. What are you freelancing in? Since I’ve posted I’ve been able to get a few freelance clients for copywriting and now I’ve raised my rate from $30 to $45/hr. My goal is to consistency hit 6 figures a year freelancing at about $100/hr before I open a small business. I wanna do that so my business can be self-funded

Last edited:

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
Nice! That’s the way to go. What are you freelancing in? Since I’ve posted I’ve been able to get a few freelance clients for copywriting and now I’ve raised my rate from $30 to $45/hr. My goal is to consistency hit 6 figures a year freelancing at about $100/hr before I open a small business. I wanna do that so my business can be self-funded
Update: I've just secured a long term copywriting contract at $45/hr, 10-15 hours a week that will increase. A few months ago I was still brand new to copywriting and just started studying it in depth. Weird how fast results come if you just focus. A great stepping stone forward towards my end goal entrepreneurial vision

Saad Khan

Bronze Contributor
Read Millionaire Fastlane
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Mar 14, 2021
Pakistan
Update: I've just secured a long term copywriting contract at $45/hr, 10-15 hours a week that will increase. A few months ago I was still brand new to copywriting and just started studying it in depth. Weird how fast results come if you just focus. A great stepping stone forward towards my end goal entrepreneurial vision
I'm also learning copywriting and SEO at an agency as an intern, I'll be freelancing after the internship soon. Where do you find clients, or do you use cold email outreach?

Love the progress you're making. Kudos to you man!

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
I'm also learning copywriting and SEO at an agency as an intern, I'll be freelancing after the internship soon. Where do you find clients, or do you use cold email outreach?

Love the progress you're making. Kudos to you man!
Thanks! I found clients on upwork.

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
Update: My freelance copywriting income has reached $1,000 this month in cash collected so far (August), more than doubling since the month before. It has officially surpassed my foundational job best month (Doordash), which was about $600 in one month last April. Took me 5 months of executing the process day by day to get to this point. I have one long term client at $45/hr, and some smaller clients that pay me $30-$250 for projects that vary in size and time. I'm currently doing a test project for a new potential client that if successful will land me a new long term client, hopefully with a decent amount of ongoing work per month at the same $45/hr effective rate.

My goal is to achieve and surpass $2,438/month in the next few months. I will do this by taking on more long term clients while at the same time raising my rate for new clients I take on. This is the gross amount I would earn if I worked a 9-5, 40 hrs a week minimum wage job in my area. I'll consider it a great milestone once I hit and surpass that!

Last edited:

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
Update: My freelance copywriting income has reached $1,000 this month in cash collected so far (August), more than doubling since the month before. It has officially surpassed my foundational job best month (Doordash), which was about $600 in one month last April. Took me 5 months of executing the process day by day to get to this point. I have one long term client at $45/hr, and some smaller clients that pay me $30-$250 for projects that vary in size and time. I'm currently doing a test project for a new potential client that if successful will land me a new long term client, hopefully with a decent amount of ongoing work per month at the same $45/hr effective rate.

My goal is to achieve and surpass $2,438/month in the next few months. I will do this by taking on more long term clients while at the same time raising my rate for new clients I take on. This is the gross amount I would earn if I worked a 9-5, 40 hrs a week minimum wage job in my area. I'll consider it a great milestone once I hit and surpass that!

Update: My freelance copywriting income doubled again to over $2,000/mo. ($2,227 to be exact) in September.

Intermediary mini-goal: $2,438/mo.

Next real goal: $3,000/mo.

I achieved this largely because my main client ramped up my workload, but old clients are also reaching back out for repeat business which also contributed to the increase.

Currently onboarding a new client for their first project and if successful will contribute to more long-term work. Not as many hours of work as my main client but will likely be at a higher hourly rate.

Xavier X

Silver Contributor
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Speedway Pass
Jan 1, 2016
These United States
Good job with your progress so far, as it's not easy to generate a consistent location independent income.

That said, I would recommend not focusing on "retiring early" as a condition for traveling the world. That will most likely result in you ending up traveling as an older man. I assume you're in your early 20s. So now is the best time to travel. Well, as soon as you graduate college and are no longer tied to one place.

You don't have to be "rich" to travel the world. You just need a decent and consistent location independent income. While traveling, keep your long term goals in mind and keep working on them on the road.

FlorianR

New Contributor
Mar 16, 2021
Good job with your progress so far, as it's not easy to generate a consistent location independent income.

That said, I would recommend not focusing on "retiring early" as a condition for traveling the world. That will most likely result in you ending up traveling as an older man. I assume you're in your early 20s. So now is the best time to travel. Well, as soon as you graduate college and are no longer tied to one place.

You don't have to be "rich" to travel the world. You just need a decent and consistent location independent income. While traveling, keep your long term goals in mind and keep working on them on the road.
I’m 22 and still in college until December. I don’t earn enough yet, I’d probably need to at least 2-3x my current income first and make sure that’s consistent.

Thanks for the insight. I never thought of it that way.

Sponsored Offers

Introducing MJ's Personal Unscripted Network, Join Now for FREE!
Text from today... Muhammad Ali said, "I hated every minute of training", but followed with...
MARKETPLACE NEW: The Best School for Going Fastlane (Now open for summer enrollment)
With 300+ students, the method and/or main sources of traffic don't saturate? Seems web design...
MARKETPLACE Fox Web School "Legend" Group Coaching Program 2021
Hi - I sent out some emails with the updates but I'll PM you now also, thanks. The issue is...
MARKETPLACE Not sure how to start? This free book will teach you how to build a successful web design business
Hi Fox. Starting the book and got through the introduction. Had a conversation with Andy Black...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Chris is super sharp and is aware of many facets of entrepreneurship and can help get your...

Learn Fastlane Business Skills & Get Profitable Within 30 Days...

Get Started Now

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom