The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My experience (actually) launching a product

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
TL;DR
MJ's post resonated with me and I realized I learned all of the lessons in trying to get my bow tie company, Chringle & Co., off the ground.

-----

I read MJ's article "9 "Slap-Your-Face" Lessons You Need to Learn from this Shark Tank Success Story..." today and...wow, is he right!

Like many of you, I've had a number of ideas over the years. In fact, I just went to my Google Drive folder that houses most of the fleshed out plans. There are 42 different ideas/plans in various forms and stages since 2009. And that's just in this folder. If I pull out notebooks, sketch books, note-taking apps, etc. I am sure that number would easily double of triple.

The first problem is I often violated the #1 rule as listed in the article (rules are MJ's):

"#1: Everything Starts With A Need - Not with 'How Do I Make Money?'"

I seem to be pretty good at coming up with clever concepts and ideas that "can make me rich" but do little in the way of solving an actual customer pain point. I'd then lock in on these ideas and think about websites and setting up systems but not on the most crucial thing - Who & Where are my customers?

"#2: Needs Are Uncovered by Engagement - Not By Sitting on Your a$$."

With the first 41 ideas, I had not engaged the marketplace. I did some cursory web searches, checked for available domain names and other wantrepreneur activities. It was not until I started wearing bow ties and tried to build a collection that fit my style did I stumble into #42. Without having a personal itch to scratch, I would not have been able to get started. I now provide casual bow ties at a reasonable price point for people like myself.

"#3: Needs Can Be Solved Inexpensively, But Not Necessarily Easily."

Initially I thought it would be easy to make my bow ties. After all, there are dozens of tutorials online and local sewing classes. So, I bought a sewing machine for a couple hundred dollars and was prepared to invest even more on classes and hours learning how to use it. I figured it'd be easy, but that turned out to be wrong. Not only did I not have the time to devote to learning the basics, I realized that I'd need to put in my 10,000 hours to be at a level where I could create something worth selling.

After that realization, I decided to rethink my approach. I had wasted 6 months and several hundred dollars on what seemed like the easy route (we always think we can just do it ourselves). Following the reboot, I found a professional seamstress on Craigslist who was looking for freelance work. After an initial meeting, one trip to the fabric store and about $70, I had the first two ties of my inaugural collection in less than two weeks. By thinking about the problem differently I was able to get going much faster (see rule #9).

"#4: Not Everyone Likes Coffee"

Obviously, bow ties are not for everyone. Self-tied bow ties are for an even smaller subset of people. Then, considering I was going with cotton versus the traditional silk or polyester-blends, I knew I was further limiting my initial market. Doing so required focus and blocking out the "you should do this" comments from friends and others with opinions, especially when they were not bow tie wearers.

"#5: The Grass Isn't Greener..."

The fashion+style world is driven by trends and it's hard to ignore what you see on other websites, Instagram pages, etc. and not want to quickly introduce new product lines to capitalize on market interest. I've had to remind myself that throwing things at the wall to see what sticks is not the way to go. In fact, I've adjusted my strategy - though the first collection has 8 ties in it, each subsequent collection will be cut in half. It takes focus to do something really well and if I have my team jumping from project to project in order to chase trends, we'll quickly lose the momentum we've built thus far.

Additionally, I'm determined to become a full-time entrepreneur. It's easy to see bloggers and speakers and other company founders and think that's something I can do in order to create more time to work on my bow tie business. However, I have to recognize that the most successful people have put in the time and work to get to that status. The best thing I can do is execute on the single thing that I have validated to this point.

"#6 Those Who Give-Up in The Desert Go Thirsty"

I got a positive response to my soft launch in June. People checked out the landing page and liked my posts on Facebook but only a few people actually subscribed to find out more (even with the enticing offer of Free Shipping For Life!). Instead of letting low conversions get me down, I focused on the most part at the moment: fleshing out the production process in order to make more ties in a repeatable fashion. I soon learned that when I did that, I had actual inventory to show people, to let them touch and truly visualize what I had been talking about.

The time from Sale 1 to Sale 2 was significantly less than time from Sale 0 to Sale 1 because I finally had an MVP that was compelling enough for people to see the value right away.

"#7: You Don't Need to Own a Tech Company to Make a Fortune"

I interpret this rule as "You don't need to be a wizbang programmer to make a fortune." I make this distinction because if you plan to sell online you are, in fact, a tech company. The difference is that lots of smart tech companies have solved many of the technical problems you face in getting started online. My initial landing page was built using Weebly. We've since migrated to Shopify for their more robust ecommerce functionality but there's something to be said about Weebly's easy drag-n-drop functionality.

One way I can differentiate from my competition over time is by creatively employing technology to improve the customer experience with my brand. However, I can only do this once I truly understand our processes and which pieces create the value. In other words, it's important to first do things that don't scale.

"#8: Overnight Success Can Take 3 Years"

I'm now about 4 months into officially launching my bow tie company, Chringle & Co., 9 months since the reboot, but it was something I started talking about almost 2 years ago. With the exception of school, I've never put this much consistent work into a single effort. While we are on track to hit our 2014 goals, we have a long way to go before someone might mistake us for an overnight success. The initial signs are positive though, and serve as fuel to get us to that point over time.

"#9: Without Scale and Time Detachment, Wealth Will Elude You."

My business partner and I talk about 5 years from now. Where are we trying to take the business? He's been selling online for many years now and is a large proponent of systemization and automation. Chringle & Co. is certainly an asset that I am looking to grow and use as a vehicle for wealth creation. I recognize the need to put processes and channels in place that will allow us to eventually scale the business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited by a moderator:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
So what need are you solving?

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Are you sure bro?

Who is your typical customer? I mean can you describe them ?

I'm worried you might be dealing with sunk cost fallacy bro. Nothing to be ashamed of, its something we've all gone through - you feel like you've invested so much time/resources to the point where you feel like you MUST see it to the end even if the signs are telling to you call it a day.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-makes-you-act-stupid.html

If I am wrong then I'm wrong, my bad; Go ahead and do your thing - I wish you good luck, but just thought I'd share my 2 cents. And I'm trying to help you, not attack.

Last edited:

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
Are you sure bro?

Who is your typical customer? I mean can you describe them ?

I'm worried you might be dealing with sunk cost fallacy bro. Nothing to be ashamed of, its something we've all gone through - you feel like you've invested so much time/resources to the point where you feel like you MUST see it to the end even if the signs are telling to you call it a day.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/communication/how-the-sunk-cost-fallacy-makes-you-act-stupid.html

If I am wrong then I'm wrong, my bad; Go ahead and do your thing - I wish you good luck, but just thought I'd share my 2 cents. And I'm trying to help you, not attack.

I appreciate the feedback, honestly. If your takeaway from what I wrote is that I may be deluding myself, then that's an issue with my writing. Thanks for expressing you view on this.

Fortunately, people actually love the ties. In fact, we just went over our Kickstarter goal just as I started typing this reply!

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
A good friend of mine started a bowtie company a few years ago and is doing extremely well http://highcottonties.com/. They are slowly turning into a true clothing company like Vineyard Vines did.

I certainly checked them out as I started doing my market research in the early days. I'm glad they are growing!

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
A good friend of mine started a bowtie company a few years ago and is doing extremely well http://highcottonties.com/. They are slowly turning into a true clothing company like Vineyard Vines did.
http://blog.acton.org/archives/23900-the-entreprenurial-spirit-judy-hill-and-high-cotton-ties.html
Interesting article on their business have a look.
Its extremely niche but if done right could do well considering some of those bow ties must cost $5-10 to make its not a bad return.
Some of ties on that website are really nice.

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
http://blog.acton.org/archives/23900-the-entreprenurial-spirit-judy-hill-and-high-cotton-ties.html
Interesting article on their business have a look.
Its extremely niche but if done right could do well considering some of those bow ties must cost $5-10 to make its not a bad return.
Some of ties on that website are really nice.

Thanks for sharing, it is certainly nice see their mindset early on. It seems like they've stuck to it as they've expanded.

I think the key to succeeding in a crowded market like apparel is starting with a very focused niche. Once you've built a strong customer base, you can then grow buy introducing new products based on their wants and desires.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
Very much agree with this.. Even if you look at alot of posts recently talking about Instagram.. Alls you need is to get a fashion sense even send out some of your bowties to fashion blogs/instagrams and the customer base will soon come in quick because it is so niche.

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
BTW, I was in Scotland (Montrose) for an extended work trip when I really started to think about starting my company. I was staying at a B&B where the keeper is also a seamstress and she schooled me on a number of things.

D11FYY

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Mar 13, 2013
Glasgow, Scotland
God lol there isnt much going on up in Montrose as well. I've never even been just heard my family say its so quiet.

Thats the thing over here we have like Mandors (a fabric/textile company) I mean packed to the rafters with fabics anyone can just go in and buy so its worth emailing them to see if they can sort you with any suppliers or can bulk buy from them some of there tartans are really nice stuff and cause its coming all the way from Scotland it will be different and give you that bit of bragging/edge on your website.

If you need me to contact anyone over here would be happy to help just PM me anytime.

chris_chringle

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jun 20, 2013
Houston, TX
God lol there isnt much going on up in Montrose as well. I've never even been just heard my family say its so quiet.

Thats the thing over here we have like Mandors (a fabric/textile company) I mean packed to the rafters with fabics anyone can just go in and buy so its worth emailing them to see if they can sort you with any suppliers or can bulk buy from them some of there tartans are really nice stuff and cause its coming all the way from Scotland it will be different and give you that bit of bragging/edge on your website.

If you need me to contact anyone over here would be happy to help just PM me anytime.

Nice & thanks! I may take you up on that, if only to send some tartan ties to some former colleagues of mine.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I appreciate the feedback, honestly. If your takeaway from what I wrote is that I may be deluding myself, then that's an issue with my writing. Thanks for expressing you view on this.

Fortunately, people actually love the ties. In fact, we just went over our Kickstarter goal just as I started typing this reply!
Not every product has to solve a need to work. The 'need' shit is just one formula.

What need is Michael Kors solving? Rhetorical question, some stuff is just cool.
Hopefully I am wrong. It could just be I don't understand the market since I am not the target market. I just can't imagine there is a big enough market out there, but if you've done the market research and proven there is a demand for it then go and kick a$$!!

Keep us updated.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.