The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

My Dad doesn't believe school is worth it

Fomo

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 20, 2021
Bamenda, Northwest, cameroon
I finished from high school last year and I'm currently in the university studying for a computer science degree. But I find it very difficult to proof to my dad that i don't need a CS degree. what I wanted to do after am done with high school is go straight into the work force, level up my tech skills and get an online certificate from platforms like Edureka, then get into business. I told my dad but he wouldn't accept me to drop out of school. I showed him blog post online that quote what google said that GPAs are worthless criteria's for hiring, and a ton of videos on youtube. But He isn't convinced.
I'm thinking of just focusing on getting my skills updated and then start my business.
What advice will you give me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

Einfamilienhaus

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Feb 8, 2019
Who said that education is worthless and who owns those blog posts? The same people who try to convince you into their funnel?

You can finish with a CS Degree and a stable income, which is "boring", I know. Or you can end up as a five bucks freelancer on Upwork.

It sounds you have no real business experience. Have you found your first client? What kind of service do you want to offer? How you proofed your idea in the real world of business?

Business is about cold numbers. As long as you haven't done the work yet, you shouldn't spend your time to convince others about your "dream".

Why don't you use your time as a CS student and get some real business experience? I know Zuckerberg is a dropout, but even he spent his days as a student to create value. So you can too.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I finished from high school last year and I'm currently in the university studying for a computer science degree. But I find it very difficult to proof to my dad that i don't need a CS degree. what I wanted to do after am done with high school is go straight into the work force, level up my tech skills and get an online certificate from platforms like Edureka, then get into business. I told my dad but he wouldn't accept me to drop out of school. I showed him blog post online that quote what google said that GPAs are worthless criteria's for hiring, and a ton of videos on youtube. But He isn't convinced.
I'm thinking of just focusing on getting my skills updated and then start my business.
You can, and you should, do all three! Going to school is NOT necessarily a full-time job. I always worked when I was in school -- even grad school. Work. It's good for your soul and helps you grow up. Also, you can get your IT skills online in your spare time. School days are limited by their very nature. They have breaks, vacations, weekends and other time off. School also doesn't last all day. How much can you get done each day before your first class? IF you choose to go to school while you work, you won't have much of a social life. You won't have time to party and be silly. But, what I laid out is one way to win the race...

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
620%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
He "won't accept it"?

lmao

If you give 0.0001 F*cks what he thinks, there's only three possible reasons

1. You are a little thumb sucking sissy who gets shoved in lockers and wets the bed still

2. Your daddy pays for your life so he calls the shots

3. A combination of 1 and 2.

The solution is to stop taking daddies money and then grow a pair and then do what you want.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hey man I totally get the problem you're facing.

Is your dad or someone else paying for your education? If so I would stick it out. If you are taking on debt, then I would quit.

The best way to gain programming skills is through working. Getting a job, internship, even just finding the most beginner-level position in IT will help you a lot and put you ahead of the average degree-holder.

Good luck and welcome!

D

Deleted78083

Your title is the opposite of what you claim in your post.

It should be "My dad doesn't believe that school is not worth it" or

"My dad believes school is worth it".

As for the actual problem, I do not know the situation in Cameroon (culture, economics, etc) so I wouldn't be able to help.

What matters is to have a goal. If you want to learn CS and school teaches CS, why not staying?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.