The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
I used to think that my biggest life regret growing up was playing video games. Even as I type this- it infuriates me to think how many countless hours were wasted drooling in front of a screen, entrenched in virtual worlds, filled with virtual guns and virtual dead and soon- to- be dead soldiers. The only thing real was the semi-permanent orange stain of cheeto dust that stayed present on my fingers and unlucky surfaces that they graced.

Looking back, I think- what if? What if I had dedicated the time I spent playing video games learning how to construct a fast lane business? What If I had replaced the time spent mindlessly fingering controllers- with diligently working after school to build up capital for that business?

The more and more I think about it, the more I am sure.

It wasn't video games. If video games weren't a thing- it would've been something else. Dicking around on guitar all day. Texting friends. Drinking. Drugs.

The problem was not in the habit itself, but the fact that I was not mature enough to sit down and consistently pursue something that did not bring me instant pleasure.

Sure, I had dabbled in internet marketing before. But It was only because I was excited by the end goal- which could seemingly be fulfilled by any number of shiny business- in- a- box systems. I wanted the exotic super cars, the impossibly hot girls, the west coast beach houses- and I didn't want to wait.

It was F*cking pathetic.

I was not excited by the laborious process of testing, and failing, and re-working, tweaking, and failing yet again. I was excited by the end result.

And that is why I miserably failed at everything that I attempted to do.

Biggest regret growing up? Not being mature and disciplined enough to stick something out for the long haul. thankfully, that has been changing- slowly but surely.

What's yours?
---------------------------------------------------------
Edit: after reading the responses of people much older and wiser than myself- I'm realizing that this thread is indeed pointless, and should probably be deleted. No one here is going to take value from it, as it's unnecessarily negative.

I will say that I'm proud of myself for becoming a freelance writer as of recent and persevering through moments where I was sure I would never be hired. I have @SinisterLex to thank for that.

Anyway. Bitchfest is over.

Won't make this mistake in the next post- and will actually provide value.

Everyone- thanks for your input. I'm here to learn.

- Sully.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:
D

Deleted20833

You live and you learn...stop reflecting and take action on what you know now

About 4 years ago i was really into working out and was at 10% bodyfat

What i should have done is start building up an instagram following to become one of those fitness pple

Now im at 20% and working my way back down

It sucks but now im 10x more motivated to get back to where I was
45f5faa304c8d32352b8949c6754d49f.jpg

jon.a

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Sep 29, 2012
Near San Diego
Reading threads about a 23 year old wasting time is a waste of time.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere
My biggest regret is choosing the path of least resistance (not having a backbone).

I say that as I am currently too scared to breakup with my social justice warrior girlfriend. She is definitely not a partner that is well suited for an entrepreneur for a variety of reasons that anyone on this forum can probably figure out.

Sigh

As a derivative of that. Always make sure to choose a romantic partner the same way you hire an employee:

One that lines up with your long term vision. And make sure to hire slowly and fire quickly.

Don't choose one because you society says you need a partner or even worse (my case) you feel lonely.

I'm glad I figured this stuff out at 23 and not in my 40s like some my friends that gave me this advice.

The problem was not in the habit itself, but the fact that I was not mature enough to sit down and consistently pursue something that did not bring me instant pleasure.

Sure, I had dabbled in internet marketing before. But It was only because I was excited by the end goal- which could seemingly be fulfilled by any number of shiny business- in- a- box systems. I wanted the cars, the girls, the houses- and I didn't want to wait.

You hit the nail on the head with this one. Instant gratification will be a huge problem for our generation as we get older. We see celebrities on Instagram posting about their cars, girls, and houses. No one posts, nor cares, about all the sacrifice it took to get that point.

Virtual reality will exacerbate this problem too. As more and more people decide to literally go into a virtual world to get the constant dopamine hits.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Biggest regret growing up? Not being mature and disciplined enough to stick something out for the long haul. thankfully, that has been changing- slowly but surely.
This is what 95% of the population does in their younger years. Some individuals do it until the day they die. My brothers one of them. Now he's heard me talk about Fast lane for three years, and my other brother told me, "I hope you're happy with your new life and new friends." I think possibly that perhaps you're way ahead of many others by being here, and admitting you slacked. Now you know. Now you know to do something different. Be happy you found out now.

Waisec

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
276%
Feb 6, 2014
Estonia
Regrets? You should bury that useless emotion with it's cousins - shame, worry and guilt.

What are you doing right now, in the present moment? What actions are you taking today, tomorrow and the day after that that align with your goals?

Last edited:

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
Everyone has wins and losses.

A thread dwelling on regrets is looking backwards.

I can't relive yesterday. I can only live in the moment that I am in, and forward.

There are a lot of things in my rear window. I can't spend any time dwelling there though, as the negativity is not a motivator.

I take my scars with me and have steeled them in my mind as a fuel... a means of doing better next time... a catalyst.

18155975_1183927761718326_1485085180757854825_o.jpg

As many of you know, I am a huge fan of horse racing. When horses get jittery or overly concerned with the other horses, the trainer makes a decision to put blinders on the horse. The blinders only allow the horse to look forward, without distraction, and without the concern for what the other horses are doing. If a horse can only look forward and run it's race, it just might keep it's eyes locked on the finish line absent of the distractions. The blinders focus the horse, and in many cases once the horse stops looking at everything around it including the other horses and what is behind, and concentrates on the finish line... it many times reaches the winners circle.

Put on blinders.

Sully1994

Business Development @ Sprout Social
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
321%
Nov 5, 2016
Chicago
Everyone has wins and losses.

A thread dwelling on regrets is looking backwards.

I can't relive yesterday. I can only live in the moment that I am in, and forward.

There are a lot of things in my rear window. I can't spend any time dwelling there though, as the negativity is not a motivator.

I take my scars with me and have steeled them in my mind as a fuel... a means of doing better next time... a catalyst.

18155975_1183927761718326_1485085180757854825_o.jpg

As many of you know, I am a huge fan of horse racing. When horses get jittery or overly concerned with the other horses, the trainer makes a decision to put blinders on the horse. The blinders only allow the horse to look forward, without distraction, and without the concern for what the other horses are doing. If a horse can only look forward and run it's race, it just might keep it's eyes locked on the finish line absent of the distractions. The blinders focus the horse, and in many cases once the horse stops looking at everything around it including the other horses and what is behind, and concentrates on the finish line... it many times reaches the winners circle.

Put on blinders.

This is a great metaphor. I'll do my best to not concern myself with the lives of others more successful- as it doesn't affect my reality. Just as my reality doesn't doesn't affect them.

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
This is a great metaphor. I'll do my best to not concern myself with the lives of others more successful- as it doesn't affect my reality. Just as my reality doesn't doesn't affect them.

Put your blinders on.

My execution of my game plan is way more critical than what anyone else is doing.

When I was a buyer for Best Buy company during their heydays, while all of their competitors were busy copying Best Buy's latest strategy, Best Buy literally didn't care because they were working on the next thing. Best Buy had it's blinders on.

My industry has been infiltrated by multiple dozens of cheap, Chinese shit imports. I don't care. Next week, we will introduce a whole new thing that nobody has done before.

They'll copy it. Meanwhile, don't care. We'll be on the next one. And the next. And the next.

Blinders on.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I used to look back and think, "What if....". And all my what if's were pointed at changing things in the past. Since I met Samantha just over 6 years ago I look at my what if's a different way. What if I hadn't of went through all that hell... I'd never have met her. I'm sure glad I went though 45 years of hell to end up with her. What if I would have done 1 thing different.... I never would have been truly happy.

SquatchMan

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
383%
Dec 27, 2016
Nowhere

Put on blinders.

Put another way:
Winners focus on winning. Losers focus on the winners.

Be a winner.

(Not a fan of these rah rah Tony Robins type pictures. This one is good though.)

c07a19d87a88810e846b707bd949327e.jpg

Notice what Michael Phelps, the winner, is focused on.
What is his opponent, the loser, focused on?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.