The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(Much) faster metal 3D Printing and prototyping soon a reality

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
SOURCE: 100x faster, 10x cheaper: 3D metal printing is about to go mainstream

For those of you into product development and rapid prototyping, you might find this very interesting. From the article;

"Desktop Metal – remember the name. This Massachussetts company is preparing to turn manufacturing on its head, with a 3D metal printing system that's so much faster, safer and cheaper than existing systems that it's going to compete with traditional mass manufacturing processes.
The hype is real. And if Desktop Metal delivers on its promises – that it can make reliable metal printing up to 100 times faster, with 10 times cheaper initial costs and 20 times cheaper materials costs than existing laser technologies, using a much wider range of alloys – these machines might be the tipping point for large scale 3D manufacturing.

The company is putting forward two systems: a studio system aimed at rapid, cheap metal prototyping for engineering groups, and a production system for mass manufacture."

Up until now, metal 3D printing has been expensive and more complicated than plastic printing - but if this is as good as it sounds, I can definitely see a lot of potential :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
Wow. Hadn't heard of 3D metal printing. After reading the article and watching a few of the Destop Metal videos, I thought of several products we could add to our line providing it was profitably feasible. Lots of potential and opportunities here.

workinprogress

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Nov 7, 2015
This looks amazing, thanks for sharing! An idea: manufacturing copies of car parts and selling them for cheaper then the manufacturer?

Just a random idea off the top of my head. Looks the like the manufacturing aspect will go live in 2018.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
This looks amazing, thanks for sharing! An idea: manufacturing copies of car parts and selling them for cheaper then the manufacturer?
Just a random idea off the top of my head. Looks the like the manufacturing aspect will go live in 2018.

I believe that even with this new advancement in metal printing, parts produced will still not be suitable for hard physical stress, tension, pressure, and so forth. Traditionally molded, shaped, or forged metal will still have a way higher endurance and breaking point than the more brittle particle-based 3d printed counterparts. But with that being said - there are still endless applications where metal parts are needed and where you don't need to worry about high endurance. And as metal printing (and material) technology gets gradually better, some day I think we will see 3d printed parts that can hold up to their traditionally made counterparts.

Iammelissamoore

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
239%
Sep 23, 2014
Trinidad and Tobago
This is phenomenal, specifically for producing prototypes and the like. While indeed it may not initially be of hardened, structured materials, it's nice headway for the possibilities of creation. I can well imagine with the 3D Printer in general, a lot of productocracies are being birthed, along the lines of expanding the possibilities of such printer; specifically at a time where we are taking into our hands, the opportunities to create our items from beginning to end.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.