The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Move to a Pre-IPO company from a Massive Large Software Company

Anything related to matters of the mind

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
I've been at a large software company for 21 years. Been a great run, made great money, and lots of friends. Still have another 8 years of working to go, which I could continue to do pretty well here.

I came across a pre-IPO company who is building products to grow in the Cloud space where I have deep expertise. I'm currently in a very senior IC role at the large company, I am being offered a position in the pre-IPO company at a Senior level (VP of Cloud Sales). This is a brand new org, where the idea will be to convert current customers to the cloud offering as well as win net new.

The big bet is an IPO, which has been filed for S1 but there is no timeline to go IPO. The other benefit is to gain the experience of building out a new cloud practice at the VP level.

Annual pay and comp plan is about the same for on target. In the big company its predictable that I will land between 90% and 110%, however in the pre-IPO company its a brand new product so who knows... I plan to negotiate in a fixed bonus for 24 months until the product matures.

Anyways, I'm really considering leaving the job security and comfort of the big company. To go big and shoot for the moon. I have a deep network in the big company, so there's a good chance I can land back there if the pre-IPO company didnt work out.

Anybody made a similar move? TIA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.