The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Motivating the World

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
Hey guys,

I am building a website to help people understand how powerful a tool motivation is. I will be updating the website EVERY SINGLE DAY. My end goal is to turn it into an authority website. I would like it to be a go to website for anyone who needs help getting motivated in life. If you would like to follow my progress or check out the site you can do so here:

Motivation - MainlyMotivation

Thanks guys and good luck to all the entrepreneurs on here!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
This is a pretty uphill battle...just fyi.

You're trying to sell a feature not a benefit doing this. You're trying to motivate people to care about motivation. Everyone knows you need to be motivated...but motivation is just the bridge to a destination.

You go to church not to be 'holy' but so you can get to heaven.
You don't try and sell 'exercising' you try and sell 'looking sexy'

You might think Tony Robbins sells motivation, but that's not what he does.
Tony Robbins sells the idea "What I tell you will help you reach your goals and live wealthy and happy"

He's not selling the bridge...he is the bridge. He sells the destination of 'having your dream life.' Also he packages it with his live 'experiences' that draw people in (walking on fire, crazy stories of people in the crowd, etc.)

You need to figure out what destination you're selling. 'Being motivated' is not a destination. Motivation is simply the fuel to get to the destination. You need to figure out what destination you're selling.

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
This is a pretty uphill battle...just fyi.

You're trying to sell a feature not a benefit doing this. You're trying to motivate people to care about motivation. Everyone knows you need to be motivated...but motivation is just the bridge to a destination.

You go to church not to be 'holy' but so you can get to heaven.
You don't try and sell 'exercising' you try and sell 'looking sexy'

You might think Tony Robbins sells motivation, but that's not what he does.
Tony Robbins sells the idea "What I tell you will help you reach your goals and live wealthy and happy"

He's not selling the bridge...he is the bridge. He sells the destination of 'having your dream life.' Also he packages it with his live 'experiences' that draw people in (walking on fire, crazy stories of people in the crowd, etc.)

You need to figure out what destination you're selling. 'Being motivated' is not a destination. Motivation is simply the fuel to get to the destination. You need to figure out what destination you're selling.
Honestly I really appreciate that feedback and I spent aboyt 2 hours thinking about what you said. I have slightly shifted my gameplan to better accomodate this feedback. Thanks again :)! I have a good plan now in order to fix this problem. I knew Going into this that I didn't know exactly what to do.. There was an entrepreneur who once said that he started a company selling blue boxes. After feedback he changed those boxes to circle. After more feedback and experience he ended up selling green circles. I may not know the perfect path now but I'm going at it EVERY SINGLE DAY.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
Why not write a book?

It's you that should be the source of the content(obviously) not a faceless website. What I mean is your method of delivery. Own it. Don't hide behind a website and make it become the authority instead of you, if you really have something to say about it.

And besides, there's lots of benefits with writing one, you can then direct your readers to the site. :)

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
Why not write a book?

It's you that should be the source of the content(obviously) not a faceless website. What I mean is your method of delivery. Own it. Don't hide behind a website and make it become the authority instead of you, if you really have something to say about it.

And besides, there's lots of benefits with writing one, you can then direct your readers to the site. :)

I like this suggestion but honestly I believe I should be working on building credibility before I take the step of writing a book. After I finish putting this website together I may consider that. I appreciate the feedback though =)

AndrewNC

Limitless
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
433%
Nov 14, 2011
I should be working on building credibility
I am doing the same exact thing as you. We are selling the same thing...motivation.

I have 47,537 email subscribers who came to me for motivation, and when I type up a single email and send it out to my list, I make around $17,500 by sending one email.

Now if that is exciting to you, and you are now motivated to make lots of money and motivate lots of people...you actually don't care about getting and get an email newsletter of your own, that's what @Joe Cassandra means by selling the result, and not the method to get there because none of the figures I gave you above are true. My email list is only a couple thousand of people so far.

But notice how it feels from the reader's side of things. You got excited for the dream (motivating tens of thousands, and making money motivating people!) That's what you want to sell to your readers...

You're not as excited to learn about setting up email newsletters and webpages as you are about the result.

Can you feel the difference now? And being on the receiving end of this, do you have a much clearer picture about how you can spin this around for your readers?

Onto how you can motivate people...and make a business out of it.

Here is one of my landing pages...

motivation1.png
The first things first...an email opt-in that's easy to find and simple to fill out.

You posted your website to a few forums and hoped to get some people to visit from here and there. I clicked the link to your site, skimmed the bold points, and then X'ed out of your website, never to return again. There is a 99.999% probability that I would never click through to your website again.

Unless you were constantly bombarding me with retargeting ads...which would be a waste of money at this point because it'll drain down your bank account with no source of revenue.

Where's the call to action?

On my site, I have a call-to-action, subscribing them to my email newsletter. You can also have one setup with exit-intent. After they read an article and scroll off the page, one pops up on the screen.

Now, because I have subscribers who asked for motivation; I know they are people interested in being motivated to do something...and I have a 4-part email sequence giving them the three steps to motivation (and brutally destroying motivational videos and inspirational quotes as being the enemy to actual motivation). Before I get into the reasoning behind that, notice how when you get their email address, you can continue to send information to them at any time.

Inside of my emails, I deliver valuable content and link to my book (coming soon) and video course ($20). If you don't have anything to sell, that's fine for now - if your main goal is to help motivate people and spread information, you now are able to do that to the hundreds, and eventually thousands to tens of thousands of people who will be on your email list.

This solves the problem of them clicking your page once, and Xing out, never to return again.

As Joe said in an earlier post, sell the benefits (not the bridge). My landing page above does not do that, for a specific reason (which I'll tell you soon).

For the ones that do sell the benefits....

This is how I am doing it for my subscribers, learning from the best.

If you're not familiar with him already, take a look at the Tai Lopez YouTube channel and website. A lot of people around this forum love him and everything that he does. He's a brilliant marketer and someone everybody on this forum should follow.

You'll notice a few things in the background of all his videos:
  1. Large hollywood mansion.
  2. A fleet of exotic sports cars.
  3. Beautiful women sitting with him on a private jet as he talks about books.
tai.png

He is selling knowledge.

How the hell does he get millions of subscribers all across social media when he sells people on reading books? That's boring AF, especially for his demographic. How does he do it?

He implies the dream, and brings up positive emotions with his viewers. Now, the background images associate positive emotions with him.

He is the brand. He obviously represents what it takes to live in a mansion, drive exotic cars, and hang out with models on private jets all day because that's what his videos show. That's what his viewers want, so he doesn't "say", but he implies that he'll deliver that to the viewer if they follow whatever product he sells them.

They take his 67 steps subscription academy, and now he can deliver the equivalent to your motivation info (aka telling kids to read books instead of playing video games). He sells them what they want, but delivers them what they need (his product or service). In your case, this will be motivational tips.

Here's the thing with you...You have no brand. You might say you do with a logo and a website, but you don't. And neither do I with my motivation book. When viewers see him on youtube, the emotions come back up for the image of wealth and success, and he is immediately recognized.

You could either
  1. Replicate the process (associate emotions) with an immediately-recognizable brand logo or book, or
  2. You could anchor those emotions on yourself, like that superstar Tai Lopez.
Are you the brand or is the brand the brand similar to Pepsi or Nike?

My overall brand message is to break people free from the life they feel stuck in so they can live the life of their dreams. The motivation course/ book is just one piece of it, so what I'm doing is the following (learning from Tai).

I deliver a much higher quality product than him (in my opinion, which is obviously subjective)
  • In his videos, he implies financial wealth (his brand).
  • In my videos, I imply freedom of travel, new experiences, fun with cool people, and living your dreams (my brand).
In 2015, I drove across the United States and filmed educational videos with different backdrops.

In the Fall of 2016, I filmed this video on the beach of the Mediterranean. The brand stands for freedom, new experiences, and fun with new friends. We were talking about manifestation/law of attraction in that video, while the viewer sees (people laughing and having fun, exotic coastal city, freedom). So they now associate the end result with LoA...where I could have just as easily talked about copywriting in the video, and they would associate it with that.

beachvideo.png
Also to note, this is a video we recorded off the cuff. I met these two girls while traveling through the city and the one on the left had her camera and told me she wanted to record a YouTube video...Tai hires Instagram models who probably have hundreds of thousands of followers. Not only does that bring up the emotions in his male viewers, but he can also leverage them to share his video with them in it to their audience too.

How can you trigger the positive emotions your readers want?

It could be as simple as diagrams and charts that stimulate their intellectual capacity. Charts and graphs and numbers. OR whatever.
You fill in the blank with whatever it is you're selling. At face value, this will draw a lot of heat on here, but it doesn't even matter what you're selling.

In a more subtle way, it's like saying "Do you want to travel the world and have fun instead of watching this on your break as you work at McDonalds? The solution is to ____________(take my 67 steps, but my book on motivation, subscribe to my newsletter, read my book on starting a business, take my personal development course, etc.)."

While the viewers are all excited for the dream you paint them, they are now motivated to take action on what you present them as the bridge to get there.

So in 2018, I'm going to ramp up my video production and be more organized about it. I'll be traveling all across the world from beaches in Southeast Asia, India, Prague, Dubai, Nepal, the rest of Europe, etc. and filming videos of me speaking in front of camera; to associate the emotions the viewers want with the brand, and ultimately connect the product as the way they can get there too.

The screenshot I showed was off the cuff, but when you get experience, you'll be going into this with an organized plan.

"It doesn't matter what you're selling." is the comment that would draw heat.
  • In the marketing sense, you don't (within reason). You follow the formula for selling, and you can sell anything.
  • In the ethical business and product sense, of course it matters what you're selling.
If I create a YouTube pre-roll video, or a facebook video - I would target people who are interested in motivation....do the marketing thing I said above...and then deliver my book/course on motivation (because that's the product that is a fit for them). And make sure your product delivers, or else the market will reject it. If they do, improve, adjust, and keep pushing forward.

Motivational Videos & Inspirational Quotes are a bunch of Bull$hit.

While skimming through your page, you listed a bunch of things as ways to get motivated (motivational videos, quotes, inspiring books).

Ugh.

But seriously, when was the last time you ran a marathon after watching a motivational video or inspirational quote on instagram? Never. That's when.

You see, these things are actually the enemy to actual motivation.

They pump you with feel-good emotions (dopamine) released from your brain. And this is a reward from your brain from doing something that is pleasurable, so it builds a habit loop.

A habit to do what?

To watch more toxic inspirational quotes. So they get you addicted, and you don't actually do anything. You get rewarded for sitting on your computer and doing nothing.

So it's dangerous to advise people to do these things to actually be motivated. It just makes them feel motivated. Can you see how this happens?

You watch a motivational video and you feel motivated? Don't you?

Exactly, so they are the enemy. Feeling motivated is dangerous. Hiring a hitman to hold a gun to your head and shoot you if you don't get to the gym in 20 minutes...that's actualyl motivating, and it sure as hell doesn't feel good.

Motivated vs. Actually doing. Be careful there....

So how do you actually do something (minus the hitman)?

The real solution is....well, I talk about that in my book. If you don't want your life being destroyed by these bad people...my book has the solution for you.

^What did I do there?

#1 - I didn't even finish writing the book yet, so I just used that to demonstrate a point.

I poked a hole in their reality, because the landing page I showed you above vilified the enemy, and was shown to people who are reading inspirational quotes and watching motivational videos (their old friend). What I said made sense to them, and they were left empty...

And when I leave them empty from their old belief system, their mind will crave for closure to that....and the only way to get it ?

Subscribe or buy.

It's called an "open loop" if you're interested in the last bit. Google it.

So all of this revolves around my years of experience actually motivating myself (to travel, to build a business, to lose weight), to show their dream and pump them with positive emotions, associating them with my brand, using the open loop, and to actually deliver a real solution to the dream.

Either way, I'll be traveling and filming the emotionally appealing "freedom/living the dream" videos in 2018 (marketing which actually captures attention), sending them to the email newsletter (sales with shattering their old belief system and the open loop), and then delivering a solution that actually works (a quality product/service)...and that's how I do it.

Will all of this work exactly as planned? Hell no. But when you start somewhere, measure, and adjust...getting an email newsletter on your page, will be the first step.

A lot of people desperately need to be motivated to improve their health, to chase their dreams, to get their promotion...so the market is big enough for us to solve this problem for the masses.

Good luck.

I use Aweber.com for my email marketing (MailCheat(Chimp) is popular too for beginners) and themeforest where I bought my landing page on the screenshot above. Hard to click off, easy to subscribe.

Christopher777

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Jun 13, 2017
Manila, Philippines
I like this suggestion but honestly I believe I should be working on building credibility before I take the step of writing a book.

If what you say is good and it's based on experience, then you already have credibility. It will come through.

How else would you build it?

That's just another fear based excuse don't you think?

Nobody is stopping you. As James Altucher would say, choose yourself.

Last edited:

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
Hey AndrewNC,

I really appreciate the long helpful post. I will be using the helpful tips throughout it as well. I have been spending the past two weeks thinking about exactly how I should target readers. I realized that my landing page is not good and am working to improve it. I will be completely redoing the landing page and discovering what my brand message is. This is my first attempt at a business so while I'm making mistakes I will not give up until this project is successful. I was also just looking at adding a newsletter prior to reading this. I really appreciate that tip as well. I've been trying to figure out how I want to build this website and you made me realize I need to create a call to action. I'm going to create that and then I'll have a much better sense of direction. Thanks so much for the help and I will be making big changes =)!

Safe Travels!

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
If what you say is good and it's based on experience, then you already have credibility. It will come through.

How else would you build it?

That's just another fear based excuse don't you think?

Nobody is stopping you. As James Altucher would say, choose yourself.

For some reason I feel like I need a fair amount of viewers before I should start doing that. It's probably a misconception in my head haha. Anyway once I get a call to action and sufficient landing page I will start work on this. Thanks for the response =)!

MainlyMotivation

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
19%
Jun 19, 2017
California
Ok so after a period of about a month I have made some decent progress on the website. I have been mostly studying SEO, backlinking, and other website abilities. My current website has made a lot of progress and I'd like to thank everyone for the feedback. I have implemented what I found necessary and was wondering what other suggestions people had. All suggestions help me a lot. Thanks so much =)!

Current Plans:
1) Create minimum of 100 pages of content and perfect current content
2) Create 50 strong backlinks through guest posting and other methods.
3) Possibly add google adsense and create motivational product reviews.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.