The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

More time vs More Money? What would you do?

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
What kinds of businesses can be made from scratch and generate sales in two weeks or less?
You've got it backwards I think.

Generating sales is what makes it a business.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
What kinds of businesses can be made from scratch and generate sales in two weeks or less?

Car washing.

Laundry pick up / drop off.

Lawn mowing.

Window cleaning.

House cleaning.

Commercial cleaning.

Child care.

Party entertainer.

Mobile phone repairs.

Home care for elderly.

Need more?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
You've got it backwards I think.

Generating sales is what makes it a business.
Okay, let me rephrase.

What kind of product or service could I create in less than two weeks which could generate sales?

I know of the obvious ones like affiliate marketing, dropshipping, selling on eBay. Any others?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Car washing.

Laundry pick up / drop off.

Lawn mowing.

Window cleaning.

House cleaning.

Commercial cleaning.

Child care.

Party entertainer.

Mobile phone repairs.

Home care for elderly.

Need more?
Thanks for your reply, but these are more like jobs to me, not the kind of life changing business I want to create.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Thanks for your reply, but these are more like jobs to me, not the kind of life changing business I want to create.
Plenty of big businesses have grown from those skills. Life-changing for the owner, employees, and customers.

The quickest way to get started in business is to provide a service.

Learn a skill. Sell that skill. Scale that skill.

Maybe listen to the two radio interviews linked to in my signature.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Sander

When in doubt, dare.
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
323%
Mar 19, 2014
Literally made no sense.

Will try to explain it more then.

Like Andy said, plenty of these businesses have grown from a one-man-band to a multi million company. You asked for businesses, which could make a sale from scratch in two weeks or less. The list I wrote could do that. Exactly what you asked for. So why don't you run away with one of those ideas instead of saying "nah, I want life changing ideas"?

These could be life changing. And yes, they can all be dead-end jobs, if you don't do it the "right" way (the fastlane way). All these businesses could be turned into a fastlane empire. Heck, almost any business can be turned into one, I'd say, if it's structured and done the right way.

They all require learning a new skill. And they all require hard work. The ingredients for the fastlane track.

(The popcorn machine part was just another hint of a business, which could make a sale (renting it out) in two weeks or less.)

Learn a skill. Sell that skill. Scale that skill. - @Andy Black

This. And to add one of the above examples to it.

1. Learn to do mobile phone repairs.

2. Do mobile phone repairs.

3. Get others to do mobile phone repairs (where the "not life changing idea" turns into freedom)

4. Collect ice cream, like @IceCreamKid would've said.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Like Andy said, plenty of these businesses have grown from a one-man-band to a multi million company. You asked for businesses, which could make a sale from scratch in two weeks or less. The list I wrote could do that. Exactly what you asked for. So why don't run away with one of those ideas instead of saying "nah, I want life changing ideas"?

These could be life changing. And yes, they can all be dead-end jobs, if you don't do it the "right" way (the fastlane way). All these businesses could be turned into a fastlane empire. Heck, almost any business can be turned into one, I'd say, if it's structured and done the right way.

They all require learning a new skill. And they all require hard work. The ingredients for the fastlane track.

(The popcorn machine part was just another hint of a business, which could make a sale (renting it out) in two weeks or less.)

3. Get others to do mobile phone repairs (where the "not life changing idea" turns into freedom)

Rep+

I'd just like to add that I got "Learn a skill. Sell that skill. Scale that skill." from a tropicalmba.com podcast.

I can't remember which one, but here's some goodies:

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
Plenty of big businesses have grown from those skills. Life-changing for the owner, employees, and customers.

The quickest way to get started in business is to provide a service.

Learn a skill. Sell that skill. Scale that skill.

Maybe listen to the two radio interviews linked to in my signature.

You're right. My comment was flippant, I'm here to learn and change my life so i need to be more open minded.

But how do you know what idea is the right one to pursue?

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London

Like Andy said, plenty of these businesses have grown from a one-man-band to a multi million company. You asked for businesses, which could make a sale from scratch in two weeks or less. The list I wrote could do that. Exactly what you asked for. So why don't you run away with one of those ideas instead of saying "nah, I want life changing ideas"?

Thank you for clearing that up. Sorry if I seemed dismissive, I guess I'm too focused on not creating another "job" for myself, I didn't see the opportunities of scale in some of those ideas.

Do those businesses all follow the NESCT formula, or is it dependant on many factors?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
You're right. My comment was flippant, I'm here to learn and change my life so i need to be more open minded.

Good for you. Not many try to open their mind.

My advice?

Just start.

Go find someone to help. Forget even getting paid. Hold open doors. Help people with their shopping bags. Get into conversations. Ask how things are going. Listen to their responses. Find out what's troubling them. Help them.

Develop your listening muscle.

Develop your questioning muscle.

Develop your problem-solving muscle.

Read through the 700+ PMs post linked to in my signature.

Over-thinking is the art of solving problems you don't have.

Worry about CENTS later.

Pick a direction. Get started. Keep going.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Also... read that without the "But"...

MiguelHammond10

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
75%
Jun 12, 2017
Seattle
Let's put some math to this.

You are being offered $12,000 more per year. Less after taxes, but whatever, let's keep it simple.

That is $32.88 a day, 365 days a year.

But.

What if you used your 4 days off to start a company selling a physical product. Let's say that item that brought you a $10 net profit each.

If you sold:

1 per day (365 days a year) = $3650
2 per day = $7300
3 per day = $10950
4 per day = $14600
5 per day = $18250
50 per day = $182,500
100 per day = $365,000

If that product netted you $20 each? DOUBLE those numbers.

So are you leaving $12,000 on the table, or are you leaving $100,000 plus??
I totally agree with your math , you right but one thing is Time is precious and always make good use of your time.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
There's a million ways to make more money, I haven't found one to make more time though.
I can think of a couple of ways to make more time:
  1. Dump it.
  2. Delegate it.

(From the Four Ds: Dump it, Delegate it, Defer it, Do it.)

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I made myself a job cleaning houses. Within a year I had my start on a real business. I ended up with several workers and several hundred clients. It ended up being pretty lucrative. I started several other cleaning businesses along the way (had the original one for 19 years) and ended up selling them all. I sold one business 3 times. lol I did work in most of them but I didn't HAVE to. I'm the type that likes to be involved. It's all about how you structure it, same with about any type of service business. Millions of dollars in the residential cleaning business.

Envious

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
165%
Sep 26, 2017
London
I made myself a job cleaning houses. Within a year I had my start on a real business. I ended up with several workers and several hundred clients. It ended up being pretty lucrative. I started several other cleaning businesses along the way (had the original one for 19 years) and ended up selling them all. I sold one business 3 times. lol I did work in most of them but I didn't HAVE to. I'm the type that likes to be involved. It's all about how you structure it, same with about any type of service business. Millions of dollars in the residential cleaning business.

I was actually looking into carpet cleaning since reading everyone's replies, seems like an easy enough business to start, it has variation with residential and commercial options and I think it has potential to be systemised/ automated. How did you deal with market saturation?

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Sold one business 3 times?!? Haha. How on earth did that happen?

Thanks for your input. Lots of people starting cleaning businesses now-a-days, what with Maids in Black, and their Launch27 product that they created to help other cleaning companies...

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I like the Launch27 thing. I read over it awhile back. I sold it to my very first ever employee, she didn't like being the owner and the workers didn't like her owning it because I always 'babied' them so she GAVE it back to me. lol Then another girl that worked for me bought it and was basically a bitch, everyone including the workers and customers hated her so I bought it back. Then I sold it to my friend's daughter-in-law. This was when I moved to Texas. The daughter-in-law quickly ran it in to the ground. She had a small service before she bought mine and thought she knew better than I did.... but that proved to be wrong. I mean she started losing customers the first day because of her GREAT ideas. lol

Carpet cleaning, I added that on to my house cleaning in about 2002. I did not like it for MANY reasons. While I usually don't pay much attention to an over-saturated market, carpet cleaning guys under cut each other so bad there is basically no profit in it. Not to mention the cost of the equipment vs $99 for 3 rooms cleaned = $0 profit. Or commercial accounts that are a race to the bottom as far as bids go. We never did commercial accounts unless they were sure they wanted their carpet CLEAN and not a splash & dash. So many other things as far as carpet cleaning goes but..... WINDOW CLEANING could be a real money maker. I know a guy named Rick that quit his 6 digit job to grow his window cleaning business. As a matter of fact, I'm going to call him right now because I need the windows cleaned on the house we just bought. :)

AgainstAllOdds

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
647%
Dec 26, 2014
Chicago, IL
Well I have an idea that shouldn't take too long to implement, Best way to describe it would be a small aggregator site which would compare fees on finance products/ services.

I would need to ouscource this as I'm no coder though.

Don't do that.

Do something smaller that you can actually execute on and deliver value.

Once you have actual business experience, move onto outsourcing, websites, etc.

With an aggregator site you need a lot of skills: managing the outsourcing, marketing the website, cash to pay for the marketing, a knowledge of what visitors actually value, etc. Then to top it off, if there's competition, all those skills I mentioned have to be better than the competition's.

So to reiterate: Don't do that. Do something you're 99% confident that you can pull off and win at.

jclean

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Dec 9, 2016
I was actually looking into carpet cleaning since reading everyone's replies, seems like an easy enough business to start, it has variation with residential and commercial options and I think it has potential to be systemised/ automated. How did you deal with market saturation?
@Paolo Rizzo wich one did you picked ?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.